Thread: Using Flash with Bounce Card in Portrait View

Default Using Flash with Bounce Card in Portrait View

hi guys! need some help here. wat's the best way 2 shoot using an external flash with a bounce card attached? i have no problem with exposure shooting in landscape view. however flash underexposure occurs when i switch 2 portrait view. been trying 2 tilt the flash head at different angles but there's not much difference. anyway 2 improve on this other than increasing the flash compensation n iso setting? thanx in advance!

if you're willing to spend, try getting a stroboframe and any necessary cable to connect the flash to the camera? This allows the flash to be in the "landscape orientation" while the camera is in the portrait orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    if you're willing to spend, try getting a stroboframe and any necessary cable to connect the flash to the camera? This allows the flash to be in the "landscape orientation" while the camera is in the portrait orientation.
    i'm aware of tis solution but would prefer not 2 spend unnecessary $. was hoping there'll b some other way around it.

never came across flash underexposure in portrait view b4..or maybe my eyes are simple such that i cant see the diff i nthe pics anyway what flash r u using? 550ex? maybe u can try just put the omnibounce and tilt the head 45deg..or if u really must use bounce card...then just tune up the flash exposure compensation+use a bigger card

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    never came across flash underexposure in portrait view b4..or maybe my eyes are simple such that i cant see the diff i nthe pics anyway what flash r u using? 550ex? maybe u can try just put the omnibounce and tilt the head 45deg..or if u really must use bounce card...then just tune up the flash exposure compensation+use a bigger card
    i'm using the 420EX. omnibounce still results in harsh shadows. which is why i prefer the bounce card. haizzz... is there really no other way around tis?

It may simply be that the flash is not powerful enough (the amount of light reflected is less when the bounce card is fixed with the flash in the portrait orientation). You could also fix the flash output at maximum and test.

Ways to get around it without spending more: tilt the bounce card forward, use a wider aperture, or increase ISO or a combination of the three.
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th December 2003 at 07:58 PM.

also, a more reflective bounce card could help too... but this may create harsher shadows.