Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any newbie tripod to recommend???

Default Re: Any newbie tripod to recommend???

Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    I am using a Gitai Travel Tripod costing abt $180.
    Quite stable and good for travelling. Able to accomodate my setup of 70-200mm lens + 580EX II & 5D Mark II without any issue

I have the same setup as you.... good enough

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Well, I am just saying for me it is hard. Not directed at anyone else.
    No lah.... joking only

But really.... how much cheaper compare to S'pore. You might be able to do a import/export sideline, since you are in China now.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Well, I am just saying for me it is hard. Not directed at anyone else.
    Benro from China??? like that i also got problem considering its issue no wonder it is rather cheap compare to manfrot

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    I have the same setup as you.... good enough
    may i know where u buy ur tripod from??

Quote Originally Posted by m1kid View Post
    may i know where u buy ur tripod from??
    http://www.jl-photo.net/

Try Manfrot 190xprob + 486rc2. I am using this. Not too heavy. But will need to stretch your budget a bit.. I can't remember how much I'd paid for it to be exact but definitely above $200.

Just get a combo that is stable enough to last for quite a while. Don't skimp, want light want cheap later wind blow then ho say liao!
    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |

Benro from China??? like that i also got problem considering its issue no wonder it is rather cheap compare to manfrot
    Don't look down on China..... most of your camera parts are made there

My Benro Carbon Fiber Tripod have service me well for 2 years. You can't get a CF tripod of that height from the more well known brand, in the amount I paid.

Scuba & Father... For Life

I took a 2 kg tripod up Huangshan (Yellow mountain in China), it was 15 deg C up there, and I almost died. In Singapore, I can carry a 4-5kg tripod with no issues, since I put it in the trunk of the car, and at most carry it for 20 minutes to my shooting location. Very different.

Benro is good. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot make myself buy one, because I know how cheap it is in China.
    how cheap is benro??? let me know. then i can kick myself.. then i drop it and go for manfrotto...
    EM5

Gitai seems not a bad choice... Gitai also from china ar?

Dont be so paranoid of china product

There is nothing wrong... You get what you paid, simple as it is

I would say Benro, maybe A350.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    No lah.... joking only

But really.... how much cheaper compare to S'pore. You might be able to do a import/export sideline, since you are in China now.
    I know la. Just want to make sure you are not angry at me or something Hard to see emotions in words alone, so making sure lor.

Anyway Benro is a china company. If you want to search China prices, you have to know their chinese names. Benro in chinese is 百诺. Here is one of those price guides, you have to be able to read chinese tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Benphoto at Peninsular Shopping Centre
    Is that the shop opposite the Prime Camera Centre, near the exit, also near Cathay Photo?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shark78 View Post
    how cheap is benro??? let me know. then i can kick myself.. then i drop it and go for manfrotto...
    See my post above. There is a link to one of those price watch websites.

If you want to see other brands, it helps to know the chinese names for brands:

Velbon = 金钟
    Gitzo = 捷信
    Manfrotto = 曼富图
    are the harder ones.

Actually prices in China are always almost much better, since they have no sales tax. China prices are usually in line with HK prices.

Just to give you an idea of prices in other things, I asked for quote for D90 + 18-105mm VR kit at a Nikon dealer in Shanghai. Opening price is 7100 RMB. That is around 1540 SGD. This comes with standard all-china warranty (includes HK). No mention of freebies, but since this is opening price, can negotiate one. Everything in china is negotiable.

In China now, photography is very popular. Walk on the street also see rich aunties and uncles with D3x, D300. Scary. There is now an entire mall in Shanghai that is dedicated to all camera equipment. You can find a lot of china made accessories for very cheap. Orient Photo's (OP) main branch is in Shanghai also, at a popular camera/electronics mall near Shanghai railway station. Across the street from the mobile phone wholesale center.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th August 2009 at 08:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Don't look down on China..... most of your camera parts are made there

My Benro Carbon Fiber Tripod have service me well for 2 years. You can't get a CF tripod of that height from the more well known brand, in the amount I paid.
    Yup yup. The Nikon 50mm 1.8D which I love is MIC also (Made-In-China).

China do not necessary mean lousy quality. It all depends on how the factory is managed. Did you know the Hyundai cars built in Beijing are more dependable than the ones built in Korea? Yes I also jaw-drop the first time I heard it.

Benro was even a lot cheaper a while back. They started out as a company doing 'cheaper look-alike versions' of branded tripods. The early versions are sometimes crappy but now they are now a name brand in China and getting brand awareness internationally.

No la.. I not looking down on China brand or something just ask only. Ultimately i just want a tripod that serve my purpose can already. Their prices really very competitive.. i think if buy a carbon fibre tripod is about the same as buying an aluminum here...

Blog Entries

No la.. I not looking down on China brand or something just ask only. Ultimately i just want a tripod that serve my purpose can already. Their prices really very competitive.. i think if buy a carbon fibre tripod is about the same as buying an aluminum here...
    m1kid, it is ok. I know what you mean.

Thing is, if you can stretch your budget a bit, getting the manfrotto 190XProB with 486rc2 head is a very good choice. Price should be around 300 (+ - $20-30). This setup will last you for quite a while, until you start getting those ultra long bazooka lenses.

I mean if you spend 50% more on your budget, and you can have a quality product for many years of constant use, I think it is worth it. If you read chinese, read this equipment guide. It is excellent.

http://www.midphoto.com/chinese/essa...phyreview3.htm This site is more geared towards landscape and travel photography. But you can get the idea. Especially the point that "a stable tripod is more important than a good lens for landscape photography".
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th August 2009 at 09:30 AM.

190XProB with 486rc2 also a good choice... guess i need to replan my spending for this month again... i really tight on budget. but you know which place allow you to try out the tripod?

Blog Entries

190XProB with 486rc2 also a good choice... guess i need to replan my spending for this month again... i really tight on budget. but you know which place allow you to try out the tripod?
    OP (Orient Photo) at 6th floor at SLS. You can look see touch and try all you want.

Really thanks a lot... will try Gitai, manfor190XProB with 486rc2 and benro ba

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast