Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any newbie tripod to recommend???

Default Any newbie tripod to recommend???

my budget is 150-200 exceed a bit also can... manfort

Default Re: Any newbie tripod to recommend???

Having been in this exact situation a few months back, let me share some points..

1) 150-200 is a good budget range for a beginner's tripod. This allows you to choose between brands such as Slik, Benro, Gitai and Fancier. I wouldn't recommend the Manfrottos at this price if you foresee your setup getting heavier in the not too distant future.

2) The good old theory applies:
    Cheap thing is light but not stable
    Cheap thing is not light but stable
    Expensive thing is light and stable

3) Do not underestimate weight. I bought a Slik Pro 400DX(2.5 kilos) thinking that I wouldn't mind the weight. In the end, it was the weight that deterred me from bringing it out often. However, it is well built and stable for the price(I paid $185). I have since defected to Benro. Recently picked up a Benro A300EX setup for $158, which weighs about 1.1kilos.

4) I'm sure that there will be suggestions for you to top up your budget a bit more and get a Manfrotto 190XProB with a 486/488RC2 ballhead. This is a good tripod which will last you until you need to load more onto the tripod. However, it is not the lightest tripod around.

may i know where u bought your brenro????

Benphoto at Peninsular Shopping Centre

so you find ur tripod overall is it stable or something. cos i also think of buying this brand

It is sufficiently stable to me. If you are worried about the stability, try the A500EX. It has thicker legs.

o... Cos i am rather new to photography just need a basic tripod first... guess i will buy that... Do you recommend other brand?

slik 400dx is good for the price, to be honest, not too heavy.

it is after all, only singapore. i have carried a 2.5kg tripod around europe by hand (to the point that the 3 way head knob became er, slightly bent because i kept swinging it around when bored).. and it wasn't too bad, really.

so worth considering, unless you really think it is too heavy.

what is your heaviest gear combination that you will use on a tripod? that is important to know.

should be the most 3 to 4kg not very heavy ba

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    slik 400dx is good for the price, to be honest, not too heavy.

it is after all, only singapore. i have carried a 2.5kg tripod around europe by hand (to the point that the 3 way head knob became er, slightly bent because i kept swinging it around when bored).. and it wasn't too bad, really.

so worth considering, unless you really think it is too heavy.

what is your heaviest gear combination that you will use on a tripod? that is important to know.
    hmm...being a newbie myself, this is one option i can check out.

think so. any reliable tripod around my budget will be fine with me i guess

Top up a little more and get a second hand manfrotto 190xprob+486rc2 ball head?

how much would that be... cos too much function in a tripod if i didnt use also waste money

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

Weather here is much Hotter than Europe

TS..... Benro is a good brand to go for using one myself. - http://www.benro.com/main/

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    i would maintain that walking 20-30 minutes max in hot sun carrying a tripod, is nothing compared to walking for 8 hours in moderate sun carrying a tripod, along a beach, at that.

I am using a Gitai Travel Tripod costing abt $180.
    Quite stable and good for travelling. Able to accomodate my setup of 70-200mm lens + 580EX II & 5D Mark II without any issue

Blog Entries

TS..... Benro is a good brand to go for using one myself. - http://www.benro.com/main/
    I took a 2 kg tripod up Huangshan (Yellow mountain in China), it was 15 deg C up there, and I almost died. In Singapore, I can carry a 4-5kg tripod with no issues, since I put it in the trunk of the car, and at most carry it for 20 minutes to my shooting location. Very different.

Benro is good. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot make myself buy one, because I know how cheap it is in China.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 18th August 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Top up a little more and get a second hand manfrotto 190xprob+486rc2 ball head?
    The 190xprob is good, and I am looking at one paired with a 488RC2. However, I am a tall guy (around 1.78m with no shoes), the 190xprob seems somewhat short. I generally take landscapes, and would try not to extend the center column for added stability in the wind. I am thinking of the 055xprob but that thing is massive and not to mention heavy... I really don't know what to do now. In the meantime I will continue using my old lousy aluminum Velbon (cheapo $40 USD on sale) and let my pictures suffer, not that it is any good to begin with.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 18th August 2009 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Benro is good. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot make myself buy one, because I know how cheap it is in China.

Well.... not everyone can take a trip to China just to buy a Benro could they ??

Scuba & Father... For Life

Blog Entries

Well.... not everyone can take a trip to China just to buy a Benro could they ??
    Well, I am just saying for me it is hard. Not directed at anyone else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast