Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help in choosing hoods for lense...

Default help in choosing hoods for lense...

hi... im newbie here... so can somebody tell me what the use of lense hoods and how different lenses comes with different hoods..?? i want to buy nikon 55-200mm lense, do i need to buy the hoods as i often take outdoor picture and if needed, what kind of hoods are suggested...??

thank...

Default Re: help in choosing hoods for lense...

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNoobs View Post
    hi... im newbie here... so can somebody tell me what the use of lense hoods and how different lenses comes with different hoods..?? i want to buy nikon 55-200mm lense, do i need to buy the hoods as i often take outdoor picture and if needed, what kind of hoods are suggested...??

thank...
    Hi, I am a newbie here too.

saw this website before... hope it helps.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...ens-Hoods.aspx

hi... thanks for sharing... its very helpfull... cheers... =D

Certain lenses come already with lens hood. Check the online information about the lens you want to buy. There are also some third party lens hoods. Some use the bayonet mount, some use the filter thread. Hoya has rubber lens hoods that fit the filter thread and can be adjusted (extended or pushed back) according focal length. Try with your camera before buying to make sure you don't get vignetting at the wider end.

Can someone write a sticky on lens hoods? Like how it can be used to knock potential cam snatchers/robbers

And also remember petal hoods are the wrong choice if the front element of your lens rotates.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Can someone write a sticky on lens hoods? Like how it can be used to knock potential cam snatchers/robbers
    I use the lens hood to protect the front element. Can or not?
    Alpha

mine acts as a rain shelter

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I use the lens hood to protect the front element. Can or not?

Blog Entries

TS, the 55-200mm comes with a lens hood, so no need to buy another.

Other hoods you can try are the screw on ones, and I also have this metal hood from Nikon meant for my 50mm f/1.2 AiS that has a mechanism to catch on to the filter thread. A HS-12 I think it is, see it here. I currently use it on my 50mm f/1.8D with no problems.

Blog Entries

mine acts as a rain shelter
    I use the hood to make my setup look a lot longer than it is... I guess I have an inferiority complex...

Blog Entries

That's a good idea! Use the hood to hoot people. I will remember that when I walk down a dark alley without a tripod as a weapon.

OP sells 3-in-1 rubber hood for $10 cheap and good, what I like best is to can still fix your lens cap even with the hood on. my hoya hood cannot though it is of better material quality,.

Be careful of third party one-size fits all hoods though. Even if the hood fits diameter wise, there's the possibility of vignetting that wouldn't had been present using the original manufacturer hoods made specific to the lens. I once picked up a third party hood for my 18-55mm, and there was bad vignetting.

Blog Entries

I think 3rd party hoods are fine. Just have to be careful with wide focal lengths. Getting a hood for 18-55 is a pain due to 1) the front element rotates as it focuses and 2) hard to get a round hood for 18mm since vignette will happen easily. I am so glad I am not really using the 18-55 much anymore since I got my 17-50/2.8.

my hood is 2m long.. and my lens is 50 cm.. i look very pro with the hood now.

just google "lens hood use", and you'd get loads of results, why are you asking a question that is better answered, more quickly by google?

Quote Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
    OP sells 3-in-1 rubber hood for $10 cheap and good, what I like best is to can still fix your lens cap even with the hood on. my hoya hood cannot though it is of better material quality,.
    any picture of your 3-in-1 rubber hood?
    am interested in getting one...am using 18-200mm. think can fit?

Quote Originally Posted by josshing View Post
    any picture of your 3-in-1 rubber hood?
    am interested in getting one...am using 18-200mm. think can fit?
    Have a look here (presented by Google): http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/lenshoods.aspx
    Check the filter diameter of you lens. With Hoya lens hood you can still use the lens cap. Easier though of you have a lens cap with center pinch. If not, OP also has generic lens caps with center pinch.

Blog Entries

This is the largest hood I have seen to date. It is bigger than the camera that uses it.

http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/Images/C136-2.JPG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Have a look here (presented by Google): http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/lenshoods.aspx
    Check the filter diameter of you lens. With Hoya lens hood you can still use the lens cap. Easier though of you have a lens cap with center pinch. If not, OP also has generic lens caps with center pinch.
    I actually bought from these guys before CameraFilters.com. Prices are good and service was very fast. I bought a bunch of stuff from them, Hoya HMCs, adapter tubes, step up rings lens covers and lens hoods. Of course I was living in the states back then. Not sure if it will be worth it to ship to singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I actually bought from these guys before CameraFilters.com. Prices are good and service was very fast. I bought a bunch of stuff from them, Hoya HMCs, adapter tubes, step up rings lens covers and lens hoods. Of course I was living in the states back then. Not sure if it will be worth it to ship to singapore.
    It's just an example for what I'm referring to. No point ordering such small things from oversea. MS Color has the Hoya hoods (or can order). I have also seen them in those con-shops at 2nd level Sim Lim - for double price compared to MS Color.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast