Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Canon vs Nikon (in term of price and photo style)

Default Re: Canon vs Nikon (in term of price and photo style)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoricko View Post
    For lower-ends, Nikon bodies feels more rigid but Canon user interface is more friendly.

Fin.
    true and not true. the canon interface in the xxxD series is quite similar to the PnS. probably to attract the PnS users to move up.
    if you grew familiar w canon menu interface, then it's more friendly certainly.
    But if you started w nikon dSLR interface, you will find it more friendly than others too.
    nikon menu interface can be customized. i.e. select the most commonly used functions.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
    true and not true. the canon interface in the xxxD series is quite similar to the PnS. probably to attract the PnS users to move up.
    if you grew familiar w canon menu interface, then it's more friendly certainly.
    But if you started w nikon dSLR interface, you will find it more friendly than others too.
    nikon menu interface can be customized. i.e. select the most commonly used functions.
    Why you say Canon xxxD series is similar to their P&S? I've used 3 models of Canon P&S before taking on 450D, the initial familiarizing stage is confusing for me too.

I guess whatever brands of camera, as long as you fiddle with it long enough, you'll get used to the interface soon

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Go try it yourself then. What you have seen is diff. from what you have used. First I think the user also need to understand how the camera AF works.
    I evaluated the 1DsMkIII as well before choosing the A900. So yes, I've tried it for myself.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I evaluated the 1DsMkIII as well before choosing the A900. So yes, I've tried it for myself.
    wow, at that level you can't go wrong either way ... me just a humble Canon 500D owner

to TS : u are a newbie and i know what u mean when u want to avoid canon since the menu and buttons are similar to ur older canon.. u want something NEW... since u moving to a DSLR u wanted something different from ur current canon PnS... well, the thing is all canon camera hv similar menu system... its a good thing that u can learn it fast.. but a bad thing since its nothing "new" ...

I never hv a nikon but all my frens are using it... i can say that nikon menu and buttons are more complicated and i think the pros like it a lot... its also a matter of getting used to.

Canon is more simple... guess they took their experience from the long time PnS side and know how human thinks when being handled by a 1st time user..

u wont go wrong with both brand but lately i want to switch to nikon as i find the service center of canon too far... haha.. also my frens all nikon, so can borrow and try more lens

Default Peace

Peace.

This Nikon vs Canon, Canon vs Sony etc will never end. I only read the threads on page 1 and 6 (last).

I remembered in the not so distant past, moderators entered and stop verbal brand wars and such Nikon vs Canon discussions were infamously unpopular.

The next question TS must ask himself is what lenses to buy? There are always better ones. L glass for Canon, AF-S Nano glass for Nikon ones, Carl Zeiss and Minolta lenses for Sony, Olympus E-system and Zuiko lenses and Pentax glass. There are focal lengths each brand is better known for.

The path is usually upgrading slowly after discovering your favourite focal lengths you use for travel photography and the kind of pictures you take for hobby shooting when in Singapore. Then, one may progress on to shoot weddings free and then paid and slowly move on. By that time, you would probably already upgraded the cam body and lenses.

In my insignificant experience, I can only say photography is a journey with ups and downs, sometimes stagnation and fall in interest, re-kindled love, discouragement and improvement again.

By reading Dpreview, reading comments from users will only confuse you further.

Solution

1. Gather with some friends, use the cameras and buy the one you like to use best for this hobby.

2. Go to a shop (provided they have patience) and try the rest you were not able to try for (1) and decide on the one your heart (not brain) goes for.

Frankly, grass will always be greener and when you're on a Canon, you will look at Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Oly even Leica..etc.

Well, enjoy what you have and take pictures..

Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    ... i can say that nikon menu and buttons are more complicated and i think the pros like it a lot... its also a matter of getting used to.

Canon is more simple... guess they took their experience from the long time PnS side and know how human thinks when being handled by a 1st time user..

u wont go wrong with both brand but lately i want to switch to nikon as i find the service center of canon too far... haha.. also my frens all nikon, so can borrow and try more lens
    I was an ex-user of Canon's 5D and 1dmk2 (end 2005 till Jan 2009) and Nikon D2h (2004-2005).

I no longer own any DSLRs today as I am totally on rangefinders for weight.

IMHO, Nikon interface is definitely more for human-photographer-friendly.

Canon Service Centre is excellent for service and worth the travel to Habourfront. I did not like Nikon Service Centre's service when I had the Nikon and did some servicing before.

I long knew this thread will evolve into a brand war. Frankly, brand wars are really pain in axx.

But historically, they are everywhere:
    Mercedes vs BMW
    Toyota vs Honda
    Nokia vs Sony Ericsson vs Motorola
    Coke vs Pepsi

Honestly, why do people engage in brand wars? Just because someone else feels the brand of camera that you are using is lousy, so you have to defend the brand? How much does Nikon or Canon pay you to defend the brand? Nothing! So don't defend it as if someone molested your sister or punched your daddy. Each brand has its pros and cons, not just "all pros and no cons", nor "all cons and no pros". Mind you, these two brands are very old and more than half century old, having survived for so long means they are all good brands (some brands like Minolta are already gone). So you won't go wrong with both brands.

IMO there's no need for XXX is better too. All cameras can take nice photos, even the 'crappy' camera phones. Nice is subjective, and imo taking nice photos is more about the skill of the photographer and not the equipment. I see both Canon and Nikon, both are very capable brands with a long history. Just go for whatever feels most comfortable, no use getting a camera that doesn't feel good in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by clavi View Post
    I long knew this thread will evolve into a brand war. Frankly, brand wars are really pain in axx.
    Where got brand war here??

Everyone is giving their advice/ opinions/ suggestions in a very civil manner. No war

Default Re: Peace

Just wanna say this is great advice.
    One of the best advice I've read given to noob.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
    Peace.

This Nikon vs Canon, Canon vs Sony etc will never end. I only read the threads on page 1 and 6 (last).

The next question TS must ask himself is what lenses to buy? There are always better ones. L glass for Canon, AF-S Nano glass for Nikon ones, Carl Zeiss and Minolta lenses for Sony, Olympus E-system and Zuiko lenses and Pentax glass. There are focal lengths each brand is better known for.

The path is usually upgrading slowly after discovering your favourite focal lengths you use for travel photography and the kind of pictures you take for hobby shooting when in Singapore. Then, one may progress on to shoot weddings free and then paid and slowly move on. By that time, you would probably already upgraded the cam body and lenses.

In my insignificant experience, I can only say photography is a journey with ups and downs, sometimes stagnation and fall in interest, re-kindled love, discouragement and improvement again.

By reading Dpreview, reading comments from users will only confuse you further.

Solution

1. Gather with some friends, use the cameras and buy the one you like to use best for this hobby.

2. Go to a shop (provided they have patience) and try the rest you were not able to try for (1) and decide on the one your heart (not brain) goes for.

Frankly, grass will always be greener and when you're on a Canon, you will look at Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Oly even Leica..etc.

Actually branding is very important for all products.....like when I walk into supermarket to buy detergent....I always go with the most beatifully pack or famous (something that I seen or heard in ads day in day out)....hack the brand loyalty....same thing like when I go for car servicing...almost everytime I change the engine oil brand from Mobile, Shell to some unheart of name like Xrev, Agip etc...just to gain the experience so that I can boast when people talk about engine oil

Same for camera, I don't believe people will buy something just because Takuya Kimura has chosen

Go with your heart my friend.....you will feel more comfortable even if you made the mistakes

What an informative thread.
    Aiya, too bad I have already made my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Same here, evaluated the flagship model of other brands as well and end up getting canon due to service support plus image quality. I believe camera body are all similar, it is when you have problem and how the problems get solved and how fast the problem gets solved that makes the difference.

IMHO, there can be loads of reviews, opinions and stuff like that in the market. Everyone wants to have a piece of their mind spilled out.

So, you can spend your entire life reading all the reviews, accepting all the criticisms from everybody, but at the end of the day, its an age old question that can never be answered except by yourself.

I'm a Nikon user, because, when i first started, my father, who is a huge nikon fan, advised me on a Nikon. I went in with zero expectations, knowledge, whatsoever, and here I am, 5 years on, still a Nikon user. My pictures are decent; are there better pictures out there? definitely, and i have striven to take photos like the ones i like. and to a good end, i have succeeded, whether or not the pictures are taken by a Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax.

So at the end of the day, just get going, get used to whatever system, and as long as you are continually at it, you are sure to produce some great pictures.

my 1 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Same for camera, I don't believe people will buy something just because Takuya Kimura has chosen
    you don't believe...

but there are people who do so.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post

well.. your first statement quoted contradicts the second. if you always adopt the grass is greener mentality, how do you enjoy what you have?

it is simple, you don't even try to enjoy what you have, you just enjoy.

i like my camera. is it perfect? no. does it irritate me when it's not as perfect as i want it to be on the rare occasion i use it for something i don't actually shoot and all the flaws highlighted (and that i am aware of) surface and give me a hard time? yes.

but is it perfect for me? i would think so. it is the best i can get within my ability, to shoot what i want to shoot.. and i don't really care if ah mao and ah kao are using other brands.

is the grass is greener on the other side? no, definitely not. i just need to acknowledge that the grass on the other side has something that my grass does not have. but it is something i do not need, and that makes me enjoy my choice.. it is about seeing the half full glass, and the half empty glass. most people either see their glass as full (fanboys), or half empty (whiney fanboys that do not know why they are fanboys).. that is not being realistic.
    Last edited by night86mare; 19th August 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    what was the bad experience?

you used alkalines?

or you didn't use hybrid NiMHs?
    I used GP NiMH rechargebles, but GP wasn't a good brand. The batteries lost it capacity very fast. I been using the batt for 6 months only. Everytime i go out for shooting, i must bring at least 4-6 rechargebale batteries + 2 Energizers for back up...

My comment: Don't use GP, lousy!

Currently i am using eneloop, quite happy with it, eventhough the capacity only 2000miAh, but at least it always standby!

use eneloops , yes, then nothing to be scared about

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well.. your first statement quoted contradicts the second. if you always adopt the grass is greener mentality, how do you enjoy what you have?
    If I am not mistaken, what Northernlights meant was that most people have the tendency to admire other people's cameras after they have bought theirs.

Digress abit, I do know of many guys who tend to admire other gals after they got married.

Finally, enjoy what you have and take pictures = stop admiring and start shooting!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast