Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon vs Nikon (in term of price and photo style)

Default Re: Canon vs Nikon (in term of price and photo style)

Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham View Post
    1. Thinking to get Nikon latest model D3000, although body should be quite cheap, but Nikkor lens generally more expensive than Canon's one. (comparing Canon's 50mm f1.8 with Nikkor 35mm f1.8) Overall Nikkor lens will be more expensive than Canon's.

2. Canon produces warmer pictures, as compared to Nikon, more natural color tone.

3. Canon having buy back program now, even Canon 500D kit is cheaper than Nikon D5000. For long term, Canon's lens also cheaper and more variety.
    I think u already know what u want, but u just want to find more people to agree with u, right?

Ok so here it is: go with Canon, u won't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    How can you compare a 35mm to a 50mm? For your info:
    Canon EF 35mm f2 is more expensive than the Nikkor AFS 35mm f1.8G
    Canon's 50mm f1.8 II is cheaper than the Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8D

Each brand has some cheaper and some better lenses. Canon decided to differentiate pricing using the L lens range. Nikon has ED, but their pricing is not scaled the series they offer - you can find ED in kit lenses e.r. 18-55mm EDII. Overall, each brand's lenses have their strengths and weakness. You can even buy adapters to use one brand's lenses to another brand's body. Nikon lenses do offer a lot more in backward compatibility. You just have to know which body model support which functions on which lens. Ken Rockwell's site has a compatibility chart if you are interested.

You can adjust anything in PP. And most people do PP their pictures to get the most out of it. The cameras do PP too, in-body, unknown to quite a number of people.

This is one thing I wish Nikon had. But will this buy-back at Canon last forever?

Thing is, there is no clear winner between C and N. Some models or lenses may be stronger than others, but overall these 2 systems have no clear winner. Just to mix it up a bit , did you look at Sony, Pentax and Olympus too? They are all pretty good too. Sony is a rebranded K-minolta and can use legendary minolta lenses. Pentax is also kickbutt in pricing and have good IQ. Olympus is hella good with anti-dust, and is much smaller and lighter with 4/3 system.

Since you mentioned you are a big fan of Canon, you should just get Canon. Moreover, you are familiar with Canon's interface. I would think that being familiar to an interface is a lot more important than 'playing' with a whole new interface. Since the joy should be in taking pictures, and the more you know your camera, the better you are equipped to take good pictures.
    thanks, daredevil123, been reading alot of your posts in CS, you always give constructive suggestions, which is very good for newbies like me

1. i m not comparing 50mm to 35mm, just that i thought Nikon has no 50mm prime lens..haha...so stupid!

2. in my impression, Canon pictures are more warmer, which is what i dont like. I like Nikon pictures, closer to natural (what we see from naked eye). If we just WB or PP, will it affect the overall picture quality? If this thing can settle, haha, no problem then.

3. In general, i dun think i will invest some much on camera, since i am not rich, not affordable to it. I think for my photography journey, i will just invest on several stuff:
    1 kit lens (18-55mm)
    1 zoom lens (probably 55-250mm) or 18-200mm
    1 50mm f1.8 prime lens
    1 macro lens (60mm, but ll be later)
    simple flash like Canon 270ex or Nikon SB-400
    batt grip
    some filters
    dry cabinet
    tripod
    bags

i think those think will add up cost me 3-4k....haha....

but i would think, those stuff will be complete for any kind of shooting!

Anyway, thanks for those constructive advises given by all the seniors in CS....very useful for me....

Quote Originally Posted by Dominum View Post
    haha this thread has turned into a brand war already. anyway..

SONY ALPHA IS THE BEST. cough cough..
    Sony is only known for its brand name

Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    Agree. So are all the other brands. Isn't it?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

wow who put sand in your eyes

Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham
    thanks, daredevil123, been reading alot of your posts in CS, you always give constructive suggestions, which is very good for newbies like me

1. i m not comparing 50mm to 35mm, just that i thought Nikon has no 50mm prime lens..haha...so stupid!

haha

Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham
    2. in my impression, Canon pictures are more warmer, which is what i dont like. I like Nikon pictures, closer to natural (what we see from naked eye). If we just WB or PP, will it affect the overall picture quality? If this thing can settle, haha, no problem then.

3. In general, i dun think i will invest some much on camera, since i am not rich, not affordable to it. I think for my photography journey, i will just invest on several stuff:
    1 kit lens (18-55mm)
    1 zoom lens (probably 55-250mm) or 18-200mm
    1 50mm f1.8 prime lens
    1 macro lens (60mm, but ll be later)
    simple flash like Canon 270ex or Nikon SB-400
    batt grip
    some filters
    dry cabinet
    tripod
    bags

i think those think will add up cost me 3-4k....haha....

but i would think, those stuff will be complete for any kind of shooting!

Anyway, thanks for those constructive advises given by all the seniors in CS....very useful for me....
    Sounds to me like your lens list is simply to fill up the focal range from 18mm to 200mm
    I don't think it's COMPLETE for any kind of shooting too!

You MAY not end up using some of the lenses, depending on your interest area within photography. Best to figure out your needs first.
    50mm f/1.8 can be an awkward focal length for a camera with a cropped sensor.
    Exploring! :)

LOL

You have much to learn
    Alpha

i beg to differ on canon not being natural-looking..canons have lifelike colours(in my opinion)..i find that nikon pictures are "crispier" if that is a suitable word to use due to the expeed processing..the contrast i wished my canon can recreate(or maybe i am doing something wrong)

wat i admire most about nikons is the control switch/dials layout..its so user-friendly and easy to pick up on if u are a non user...i wish my canon had a nikon-style controls layout..pentax is also another brand that has very user-friendly layout of switches and dials

Don't count out sony though...to me it has an awesome line of cameras (a700 and a900)..plus CZ lenses..i just love the contrast....

even the blues of olympus make my mouth drool at times..

i think that its the camera that chooses the user..and not the user choose the camera...my first cam being a A200...it was fine and all until i actually tried my current 20D which to me feels so good at the right places..

surely every brand is attractive in its own way..

oh how i wished i had a K7...or an A900..or a D300..or an E3...not forgetting the s5pro...there will always be something mysterious about my old 20d which i find so hard to let go off....hehehe

i dunno..maybe i OT already..and it all doesnt make sense..did i leave out any brand?hehehe
    Last edited by ardnirun; 17th August 2009 at 09:56 PM.
    The Few...The PROUD...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

haha

Sounds to me like your lens list is simply to fill up the focal range from 18mm to 200mm
    I don't think it's COMPLETE for any kind of shooting too!

You MAY not end up using some of the lenses, depending on your interest area within photography. Best to figure out your needs first.
    50mm f/1.8 can be an awkward focal length for a camera with a cropped sensor.
    ya, i might not get all of those lens..but at least those lens are more affordable to have..

with 1.6 crop factors, 50mm might be abit weird....but no choice....cheap ma...haha

ya, i might not get all of those lens..but at least those lens are more affordable to have..

with 1.6 crop factors, 50mm might be abit weird....but no choice....cheap ma...haha
    Sialah, i saving up for a 50mm soon. Walking around with my 35mm, sometimes a bit wide...... Budden sometimes abit too small also. Gah, i wish for a 17-55 1.8!!!!!
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

Just choose one and make sure you stop thinking about the other(s) from then on. Not gonna be easy though.

Quote Originally Posted by agentxq49 View Post
    Sialah, i saving up for a 50mm soon. Walking around with my 35mm, sometimes a bit wide...... Budden sometimes abit too small also. Gah, i wish for a 17-55 1.8!!!!!
    hey buddy, mind to share with us how much your whole system cost? you kind of like have the complete set of those basic lens (kit + zoom + prime + entry level Nikon)

Where you bought it and price for individual...haha..thanks for sharing if u dun mind..

BRAND WARZ BRAND WARZ WOOOOO

solve the problem go get a leica or leaf or something like that chyeaaaaah

hey buddy, mind to share with us how much your whole system cost? you kind of like have the complete set of those basic lens (kit + zoom + prime + entry level Nikon)

Where you bought it and price for individual...haha..thanks for sharing if u dun mind..
    Spent 1.9k total for

D5000 + kit
    55-200mm
    35mm 1.8
    Dry box
    extra battery
    memory card
    filters
    random straps
    7mill home crumpler

Still looking to get the 70-300, 50mm f1.4, 17-55 f2.8 and finally the 70-200 f2.8 in that order Selling 55-200 after getting 70-300

I shoot leisure, got event go shoot, bring my cam + 35mm everywhere i go. School prevents me from spending more time on photog
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

Most of the things i get 2nd hand. Dry box get anywhere also can. the 35mm got for $380 from buysell again. Lol, my shopping mall is the buysell area.
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

pentax is not known for brand name

but for producing cameras for photographers ho ho ho!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

with the fiercest line of primes i have ever seen in a brand
    The Few...The PROUD...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agentxq49 View Post
    Spent 1.9k total for

D5000 + kit
    55-200mm
    35mm 1.8
    Dry box
    extra battery
    memory card
    filters
    random straps
    7mill home crumpler

Still looking to get the 70-300, 50mm f1.4, 17-55 f2.8 and finally the 70-200 f2.8 in that order Selling 55-200 after getting 70-300

I shoot leisure, got event go shoot, bring my cam + 35mm everywhere i go. School prevents me from spending more time on photog
    Why get the 55-200 then the 70-300 den the 70-200 f2.8? Might as well save and go for the 70-200 f2.8 direct.

Bro, relac on the purchases. Just get the stuff when you find you need to use them a lot. Don't burn out (mentally, and financially).
    Last edited by daredevil123; 18th August 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Ricoh will definitely pwned all other brands if they decide to move to the dslr market. It has the best UI, best lens, best ergonomic design, and you get free photocopier and ink for every dslr sold. Beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

haha, you keep promoting Pentax, really that good?

Btw, do you have any hands on experience with any Pentax model? mind to share?

I read the specs of Pentax K-7, very powerful! But i doubt the price will be much higher than any entry level camera. Any idea how much for it? with kit lens.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast