Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 116

Thread: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

  1. #81
    Member kijer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    shifted to bt merah
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there is a problem of film not being instant feedback

    some days, i can barely remember the lighting condition when i shoot film.. by the time i develop, forgotten already.

    digital is instant feedback, the start up costs are high, but much more forgiving when shooting, so have more license to shoot (with understanding and effort).. and learn.
    haha but there will people who lazy want the instant-learn.... then later on gg.


    @repty -
    there are some good peoples around. rare ones and willing to teach. find them.
    used to have someone around who teach 2-3 previous winners of SYPA.

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    In that case, I confirm my recommendation to go for an SLR rather than a PnS, if the intention is to learn photography.
    the key word here is learn
    of course there are different stages, even pro say they are still learning (trying to be humble), but keep in mind they are school children, whose expenditure are born by their parents.

    Now, do the guys having soccer as their CCA must have shoes like the pro players? They dont mind of course but they can still play even they are wearing Bata.

    My best experience playing "football" is in kampong, and bricks stacked as goalposts, no referee, and ball made from plastics bags and newspaper rolled to resemble a ball and rubber to keep them together. Best when it goes offsite into longkang ... and we got an earfull from our mothers after the game. "Lifebuoy" (soap brand) moments. That is not even CCA. Self-funded.

  3. #83
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Now, do the guys having soccer as their CCA must have shoes like the pro players?
    A pair of decent studded shoes from popular brands such as Nike or Adidas can be had for +/- $100. And I think it is a requirement for them to purchase these shoes. Have not seen any school player playing in an official match with white canvas shoes

  4. #84

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    A pair of decent studded shoes from popular brands such as Nike or Adidas can be had for +/- $100. And I think it is a requirement for them to purchase these shoes. Have not seen any school player playing in an official match with white canvas shoes
    that is in singapore

    in less well-off places, they have more spunk. and they own singapore soccer players, school, national, whatever. that is called passion.

  5. #85
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Yup I know, I was speaking within the context of Siingapore

  6. #86
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    This is true, however, if I am learning and I were to choose between:

    1. Digital PnS
    2. Film SLR

    Choice (2) will win hands down.

    I think a good compromise will be a second hand first/second generation DSLR, anyone knows the price of a 2nd hand D100/D70/D30/D60/S1pro/S2pro? I think all of these will be a good balance.

    In the past, I used to record the settings used before comparison; but yes it is tedious. That was after I bought this expansion card for the 700si that records the settings for me hehe

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    as for film vs digital - I would say go for digital because it is an easier medium.

    First - you can change the ISO easily, not having to stick with it till the film runs out.
    Second there is instant review - not having to stick with it until the film runs out and then wait for it to be developed.
    Third - white balance setting can be changed - to a certain degree making warm/cool filter un-necessary.
    And lastly - most of pns assuming you are going there - allow video capture so you can play around with videography and photography - on the cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there is a problem of film not being instant feedback

    some days, i can barely remember the lighting condition when i shoot film.. by the time i develop, forgotten already.

    digital is instant feedback, the start up costs are high, but much more forgiving when shooting, so have more license to shoot (with understanding and effort).. and learn.

  7. #87
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    An SLR isn't expensive, someone just posted that he got an EOS1000 for S$48; far cheaper than any digital PnS you can find today.

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    the key word here is learn
    of course there are different stages, even pro say they are still learning (trying to be humble), but keep in mind they are school children, whose expenditure are born by their parents.

    Now, do the guys having soccer as their CCA must have shoes like the pro players? They dont mind of course but they can still play even they are wearing Bata.

    My best experience playing "football" is in kampong, and bricks stacked as goalposts, no referee, and ball made from plastics bags and newspaper rolled to resemble a ball and rubber to keep them together. Best when it goes offsite into longkang ... and we got an earfull from our mothers after the game. "Lifebuoy" (soap brand) moments. That is not even CCA. Self-funded.

  8. #88
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Just to add on, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...highlight=D100

    Someone is selling a D100 for S$300. Dont tell me that a person wanting to learn can't even fork out S$300. Any PnS with manual functions will already be more expensive than that.

    And, I'm still using my D100 for studio work. It is MORE than enough for learning.

  9. #89

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    that is good to hear, you will go far
    but there are some things that you will only feel/know when you pass a certain stage of life
    Yea yea, that are what I am looking for now.
    I bet TS will gain alot with this photography cca too.
    the suggestions are all damn worth to be considered, altho not all that the school can fulfill

  10. #90

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    as for film vs digital - I would say go for digital because it is an easier medium.

    First - you can change the ISO easily, not having to stick with it till the film runs out.
    Second there is instant review - not having to stick with it until the film runs out and then wait for it to be developed.
    Third - white balance setting can be changed - to a certain degree making warm/cool filter un-necessary.
    And lastly - most of pns assuming you are going there - allow video capture so you can play around with videography and photography - on the cheap.
    Film is an excellent medium for photography education if it is a supplement. I'm sure students will also appreciate the unique appearance of grain and beautiful colours that cannot be replicated on digital...

    You seem to support PnS cameras alot...

  11. #91
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    i don't think youngsters these days have the patience to wait for the film to be processed

  12. #92

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    1. Passion, without it nothing is possible
    Basically, I'm just repeating what others have said. Do you have passion for photography? Or do you have a passion to improve photography cca? What about the members? Do they have the passion? If there's insufficient equipment, what would someone with passion do? Suppose a not well to do student saves up to buy a camera, supose he skips his meals in order to get a camera, is that passion?

    Basically, you are at point A, you want to go to B. And without passion, it's impossible. And if everyone in a team has passion, it will make it easier to reach B. This is teamwork.

    2. Passion, with it you don't have to work a day in your life
    Supose a waiter, he has passion for his job. What happens? Basically, he's not working anymore. Why? Because it's not a job anymore. Go for outings, just shoot more, participate in fun activities as a team. Build bonds. Have fun. Enjoy photography. Don't worry too much about the lack of equipment or what equipment u have/ or have not.
    Far too many people become photographers because they love cameras and film and computers and all the gadgetry Ö but Ansel Adams didnít make stunning photographs of Yosemite because he loved cameras! He made stunning photographs of Yosemite because he loved Yosemite!
    -anonymous


    Conclusion
    Once u have passion, others will see/feel it. CCA will expand. Funding might be easier to get. Competitions might even be won. A year from now, say if the CCA expands, got new equipment, 10 D3Xs, spacious studio, darkroom, Leicas, whatever, you reached point B but the level of your passion is still the same as before. But without passion, what's the point?

  13. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Or maybe u can get ur CCA a shelf along the school corridor and buy some of those older film SLR and put them up on the shelf and put up posters of old camera's and maybe that could attract students attention and maybe it might even rub some interest on them.. because i myself oso love those older Film SLR like f2,fm2 etc etc despite owning a DSLR myself.. I jus looks 'Cool' HAHA!
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

  14. #94

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post

    Someone is selling a D100 for S$300. Dont tell me that a person wanting to learn can't even fork out S$300. Any PnS with manual functions will already be more expensive than that.
    canon a powershot series, can be bought for less than $300..

  15. #95
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Well, I'll put my money on the D100 for learning anytime I'm sure you would too.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    canon a powershot series, can be bought for less than $300..

  16. #96

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Well, I'll put my money on the D100 for learning anytime I'm sure you would too.
    i am not sure about that..

    it dpeends on the person, some people learn better with gradual steps, some can go into the water right away.

    i think it depends. actually i started off with a canon powershot a5xx (can't remember model number).. those were fun days, doing silly stuff like balancing the camera at the side of nicoll highway to shoot traffic trails.

  17. #97
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    To each his own, but I think there's a difference between seriously learning photography, and taking photographs for fun as a prelude to learning photography as part of the learning process.

    I started photography with a PnS, Yashica Zoomtec 90, whilst I did have fun doing things similar to what you are mentioning; but I won't consider those times as seriously learning photography.

    I guess the definition of the word "learning" differs from individual to individual.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i am not sure about that..

    it dpeends on the person, some people learn better with gradual steps, some can go into the water right away.

    i think it depends. actually i started off with a canon powershot a5xx (can't remember model number).. those were fun days, doing silly stuff like balancing the camera at the side of nicoll highway to shoot traffic trails.

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Can't you photograph the school compound at sunset/sunrise from an opposite HDB, print out a nice big photo, frame it and present it to the Principal? Just make sure it's a cheery inspirational photo, not dark and gloomy la. Which other CCA can give an advertisment 24/7. NPCC cadet guarding the door or potted plants from the Gardening Club maybe?

    Accept the fact the photography club is there to support other CCAs. Since you're not getting real support you should make the case that you all do good work and are indispensable to the school. Go through each CCA and shoot a good portfolio of images. Approach their teacher-in-charge, share the pics and get their support for you. If they can tell the Principal "Hey the Photography Club shot these great pictures!", "I want to use them on so-and-so event" Isn't that free advertisement also. When they put up the photographs in the website, ask the webmaster to credit the club. It's just 1 small line per page, I'm sure he won't mind.

    Experimenting with smoke and water drops are fine to attract the club members but they should know the current situation isn't to their advantage. Hiding away in the clubroom is not going to get the affirmation you need from the school board. Be seen and recognised! You guys have Tees now right, all the better no? As long as you all are active, not hiding somewhere doing your own things, people can see you're hardworkers. Have a plan, have a schedule. If you must, meet with your teacher-in-charge and Vice-Principal/Principal. Say this is the Club's direction, we have a schedule and these are the activities we're implementing. Stress you have no funding, but will make results nonetheless. Then next time lament, this is good but you'll be better with funding. They are like some parents lor, if you can give concrete reason for spending they will allow for it. Get serious with the adults and they're forced to take notice. Show who's in charge.

    The pictures do not have to be record shots. All CCAs have their equipment, uniforms, etc. The school itself has so many other goodies. The science labs, design & technology workshop? Play dress up or something, get the teachers involved. Learn composition and lighting that way. No flash, use continous light, use natural light. 50+ pple in the club someone can surely do something. So much manpower, use them first. If they don't want to do or play punk then kick them off the club. Have your core team send them out for mini-projects or something. Tell them you need lights to shoot the science lab but have no money for flash, go do research how to solve the problem. Solve time, location and resources. No camera to shoot does not mean no brain to imagine, or eye to see. If they prepare everything, maybe the incentive is they get to do the shoot, one of you to supervise. The result may be campy or unrealistic, it doesn't matter. That's the whole photographic process to me. Developing film or learning DoF is a very small part.

    Work triple hard first, when you get the funding and all, then enjoy the fruits of labour and shoot whatever you like. Cheers and good luck!

  19. #99

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    Can't you photograph the school compound at sunset/sunrise from an opposite HDB, print out a nice big photo, frame it and present it to the Principal? Just make sure it's a cheery inspirational photo, not dark and gloomy la. Which other CCA can give an advertisment 24/7. NPCC cadet guarding the door or potted plants from the Gardening Club maybe?

    Accept the fact the photography club is there to support other CCAs. Since you're not getting real support you should make the case that you all do good work and are indispensable to the school. Go through each CCA and shoot a good portfolio of images. Approach their teacher-in-charge, share the pics and get their support for you. If they can tell the Principal "Hey the Photography Club shot these great pictures!", "I want to use them on so-and-so event" Isn't that free advertisement also. When they put up the photographs in the website, ask the webmaster to credit the club. It's just 1 small line per page, I'm sure he won't mind.

    Experimenting with smoke and water drops are fine to attract the club members but they should know the current situation isn't to their advantage. Hiding away in the clubroom is not going to get the affirmation you need from the school board. Be seen and recognised! You guys have Tees now right, all the better no? As long as you all are active, not hiding somewhere doing your own things, people can see you're hardworkers. Have a plan, have a schedule. If you must, meet with your teacher-in-charge and Vice-Principal/Principal. Say this is the Club's direction, we have a schedule and these are the activities we're implementing. Stress you have no funding, but will make results nonetheless. Then next time lament, this is good but you'll be better with funding. They are like some parents lor, if you can give concrete reason for spending they will allow for it. Get serious with the adults and they're forced to take notice. Show who's in charge.

    The pictures do not have to be record shots. All CCAs have their equipment, uniforms, etc. The school itself has so many other goodies. The science labs, design & technology workshop? Play dress up or something, get the teachers involved. Learn composition and lighting that way. No flash, use continous light, use natural light. 50+ pple in the club someone can surely do something. So much manpower, use them first. If they don't want to do or play punk then kick them off the club. Have your core team send them out for mini-projects or something. Tell them you need lights to shoot the science lab but have no money for flash, go do research how to solve the problem. Solve time, location and resources. No camera to shoot does not mean no brain to imagine, or eye to see. If they prepare everything, maybe the incentive is they get to do the shoot, one of you to supervise. The result may be campy or unrealistic, it doesn't matter. That's the whole photographic process to me. Developing film or learning DoF is a very small part.

    Work triple hard first, when you get the funding and all, then enjoy the fruits of labour and shoot whatever you like. Cheers and good luck!

  20. #100
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    Can't you photograph the school compound at sunset/sunrise from an opposite HDB, print out a nice big photo, frame it and present it to the Principal? Just make sure it's a cheery inspirational photo, not dark and gloomy la. Which other CCA can give an advertisment 24/7. NPCC cadet guarding the door or potted plants from the Gardening Club maybe?

    Accept the fact the photography club is there to support other CCAs. Since you're not getting real support you should make the case that you all do good work and are indispensable to the school. Go through each CCA and shoot a good portfolio of images. Approach their teacher-in-charge, share the pics and get their support for you. If they can tell the Principal "Hey the Photography Club shot these great pictures!", "I want to use them on so-and-so event" Isn't that free advertisement also. When they put up the photographs in the website, ask the webmaster to credit the club. It's just 1 small line per page, I'm sure he won't mind.

    Experimenting with smoke and water drops are fine to attract the club members but they should know the current situation isn't to their advantage. Hiding away in the clubroom is not going to get the affirmation you need from the school board. Be seen and recognised! You guys have Tees now right, all the better no? As long as you all are active, not hiding somewhere doing your own things, people can see you're hardworkers. Have a plan, have a schedule. If you must, meet with your teacher-in-charge and Vice-Principal/Principal. Say this is the Club's direction, we have a schedule and these are the activities we're implementing. Stress you have no funding, but will make results nonetheless. Then next time lament, this is good but you'll be better with funding. They are like some parents lor, if you can give concrete reason for spending they will allow for it. Get serious with the adults and they're forced to take notice. Show who's in charge.

    The pictures do not have to be record shots. All CCAs have their equipment, uniforms, etc. The school itself has so many other goodies. The science labs, design & technology workshop? Play dress up or something, get the teachers involved. Learn composition and lighting that way. No flash, use continous light, use natural light. 50+ pple in the club someone can surely do something. So much manpower, use them first. If they don't want to do or play punk then kick them off the club. Have your core team send them out for mini-projects or something. Tell them you need lights to shoot the science lab but have no money for flash, go do research how to solve the problem. Solve time, location and resources. No camera to shoot does not mean no brain to imagine, or eye to see. If they prepare everything, maybe the incentive is they get to do the shoot, one of you to supervise. The result may be campy or unrealistic, it doesn't matter. That's the whole photographic process to me. Developing film or learning DoF is a very small part.

    Work triple hard first, when you get the funding and all, then enjoy the fruits of labour and shoot whatever you like. Cheers and good luck!
    very proactive

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •