Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Suggestions on how to improve photography cca

Actually, a second film slr probably costs less than a mid range digital PnS nowadays.

Long ago, during the days of film, I bought a Dynax 700si (probably around a D300D700 in terms of level today) for only S$700.00. That was an AF SLR with all the geebangz.

A pure manual slr like the FM2 or the like will probably only cost you S$200-300. You can check out a bit more on these as I haven't looked at film slr prices for many years.

Also, you can even find a second hand DSLR like the D100 or S1pro/S2pro for a couple of hundred dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Repty View Post
    That's what i think too! The manual functions are very annoying to change on a p&s. However, if getting a budget fails, may have to think among the lines of p&s.

Quote Originally Posted by Repty View Post
    I'm from hai sing catholic school. I don't know if you've heard of the school. We're in the east side in pasir ris

Hmm yeah, im now trying to find more people in the school who already have dslrs. Trying to get them to join the cca One of them would be sonyboy in CS too.

Also, yeah i agree that this cca is like you said, expensive It's such a waste. I can't really blame the school for being unable to buy us more equipment as it's not cheap. But sometimes it's just so wasted cos even though our school has three cameras, they only allow us to use two at any one time. So you see like three or four people sharing one camera. Kinda hard for them to pratice. Thanks for your advice! I welcome any more ideas. I'm open to any kind of suggestions.
    Yeayea I know. I have a friend there. That's cool.
    woo sonyboy, I dare say he got guts. I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Lol, talking about AHS when you referred to choir and basketball? The privileges that the choir ensemble receive are quite ridiculous, and I heard that the basketball team have priority when using the newly-built stadium.

Concert band... not really anymore
    Yea, I know AHS basketball team very strong.
    Of cos they will prefer to focus more on music and sports. :/

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you don't need a dslr to learn photography or take good pictures
    work with what you have, file p&s also can

org outings and shoot good pictures
    inspire the members by visiting web sites and discuss composition and techniques
    produce the good images
    and show the school just what you can do...
    the key word is passion

once you have the passion, nothing is impossible
    This is the first time I so agree with you. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    My own advice - don't depend on the schools or teachers

go out shoot on your own, if it's an idiot proof cam. Keep shooting, the more you shoot
    the better you will understand and develop the eye for photography. Don't be limited
    by your sch's lack of equipment or lack of enthus from friends or teachers.

Go look at exhibitions, go library flip through copies of photography magazines. Go
    browse at bookshops. Go out and take photos alone, less herd mentality. Go do/shoot
    different genre, events, weddings, still life, reportage...everything. Learn on your own
    and you will thank yourself for the determination.

It's easy to buy a cam, not easy to be a good photographer with a heart.

this i super agree.. not many sch leaders understand what it takes or needs for photography to succeed in their school.
    Some feel buying some low level grade equipment is enough to produce award winning photographers at sch level.
    Most see it as extra manpower to help provide free photography for sch events. Very disappointing mentality.
    But the prob is TS is trying to build up a CCA - photography which he has passion in and wish people would help him to build up the organisation up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    This is the first time I so agree with you. Lol
    you still have a long way to go to be able to understand my thinking

mainly because i have so much more experience in the university of life
    Last edited by ortega; 17th August 2009 at 10:00 PM.

Yeayea I know. I have a friend there. That's cool.
    woo sonyboy, I dare say he got guts. I like him.

you mean shoot untill the d50s dead?

how i wish too. cus i am from the school.

and still hoping to get in the photography club.
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    A pure manual slr like the FM2 or the like will probably only cost you S$200-300. You can check out a bit more on these as I haven't looked at film slr prices for many years.

Also, you can even find a second hand DSLR like the D100 or S1pro/S2pro for a couple of hundred dollars.
    second hand af slrs can go for a song these days.

i think it is possible get a lens/body combination for less than $100.

vince123123
    Guests

In that case, I confirm my recommendation to go for an SLR rather than a PnS, if the intention is to learn photography.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

My advise is for you to speak to your teacher to ask if you guys can spend the CCA time going out to shoot and maybe you guys can even meet up during weekends for OUTINGS! Outings are really important because this is where your team can bond as a whole and furthermore your can share with one another what you guys have 'SELF LEARNT'

hope i did help
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

you still have a long way to go to be able to understand my thinking

mainly because i have so much more experience in the university of life
    Nope. No need to, altho I admit that surely your experience is more than mine, in terms of life, but I dare say that I see alot of things already, until now.
    I'm no any other average kid or rich kid ya know..
    like my uncle said, university of society is better. so quit studying. hahaha
    Last edited by LomoPhotographer; 18th August 2009 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy View Post
    you mean shoot untill the d50s dead?

how i wish too. cus i am from the school.

and still hoping to get in the photography club.
    no luh. i mean you at your other threads.
    got guts. straight-forwardness.
    good luck to your cca!

yea man. CCA time = outings lolol.
    if not sooner or later, the whole school compound is finished shoooting by you guys.

In that case, I confirm my recommendation to go for an SLR rather than a PnS, if the intention is to learn photography.

Originally Posted by night86mare

I got an EOS 1000 for $48, using it with the 50mm 1.8

I think the 35-80mm is quite cheap as well

yea man. CCA time = outings lolol.
    if not sooner or later, the whole school compound is finished shoooting by you guys.
    thats how my cca survived in secondary school
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Without D-SLRs, how to attract future batches of student to join photography club? In current times, D-SLR is not considered even amateur anymore. Furthermore a low-end D-SLR such as D40 or 20D isn't even close to expensive now.
    Amateur or pro is about how you make money from it. It does not say about your equipment.
    Within the right environment, you can always copy with P&S what DSLR can do. Heck some P&S even can do what DSLR (for that price) cannot do eg: in the water snorkeling up to 3 m depth.

For example as discussed, some "limitations" such as the small sensors of P & S cameras simply make it extremely difficult to understand the idea of Depth-of-field when everything seems to be in focus.
    Here we are talking CCA, those who has music or sport as CCA does not necessarily become musician or sportsmen/women. So those taking photography as CCA does not necessarily become professional photographer.
    Seriously those thinking that they cannot do without expensive equipment need a reality check.

I took this with Fuji A100, a cheapo camera.
    It is not national geographic standard, but it shows DOF.

Sports is important for schools and if the photography club isn't able to cover a sports meet properly, no way a school will support a photography club. But no need to be "newspaper like"... (actually "newspaper like" doesn't mean anything to me, do you think our papers shoot very exceptional photographs?)

If a photography club/CCA cannot impress future batches of students and the school authority... I'd say forget it. This is the sad and still unavoidable case of educational hierachy...
    I am not talking about those taken by singapore sports photographer - heck - there is not much sport activity in singapore anyway. I am referring to those that in the newspaper - some of them are taken overseas, and the local newspaper take it from Reuters for example.

Some of the sport photography can be staged (eg: shooting ball for basketball etc) and does not have to be during competition. And seriously what they normally want is award ceremony photo (record shots) so work with organiser to have enough lights.

Unfortunately if there is no teacher who has good understanding about photography it will be difficult to make that case to the headmaster or anybody who are guarding the kitty. Try to find if there are parents who can support your case.

Blog Entries

Nope. No need to, altho I admit that surely your experience is more than mine, in terms of life, but I dare say that I see alot of things already, until now.
    I'm no any other average kid or rich kid ya know..
    like my uncle said, university of society is better. so quit studying. hahaha
    that is good to hear, you will go far
    but there are some things that you will only feel/know when you pass a certain stage of life

that is good to hear, you will go far

as for film vs digital - I would say go for digital because it is an easier medium.

First - you can change the ISO easily, not having to stick with it till the film runs out.
    Second there is instant review - not having to stick with it until the film runs out and then wait for it to be developed.
    Third - white balance setting can be changed - to a certain degree making warm/cool filter un-necessary.
    And lastly - most of pns assuming you are going there - allow video capture so you can play around with videography and photography - on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    there is a problem of film not being instant feedback

some days, i can barely remember the lighting condition when i shoot film.. by the time i develop, forgotten already.

digital is instant feedback, the start up costs are high, but much more forgiving when shooting, so have more license to shoot (with understanding and effort).. and learn.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast