Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: My Life: Then & Now Photo

  1. #1

    Default My Life: Then & Now Photo



    I was fortunate enough to win a prize in this photo contest and received a Nikon D5000;
    which I've since sold off to a nice forumer few days ago.

    I tried to find the right location, angle, camera focal length and how far away to hold the photo. Also I try to have x5 points on the old photo match with the background. Hard to se via the viewfinder so I took many shots, just hoping to get x1 that matches nicely..lol

    It was shot 1-handed and I had to put down my cam quite a few times cause they were tired..haha.

    Life was simpler then and if they did go out, they'd put on their best clothes, usually clothes from Chinese New Year;and thats also the only time in a year when they have new clothing.

    Doris, my wife in the center, was wearing a dress that was too big for her. In those days, children's clothes were made bigger so that they could wear them for a longer period of time to save money. You can also see that her brother has outgrown his CNY(Feb) pants by Nov.

    Besides the changes in surroundings, I believe it is these little stories behind the photo that has made it more interesting & meaningful.

    I recognize that this is by no means a high 'WOW' factor photo,or even 'beautiful'photo with nice lighting and stuff, but it is special to me and I suspect will remain even more so to my in-laws family.

    And thats really nice and really all that matters.. This is also in part how photography can be so meaningful, beyond a simple hobby, to me.

    *If you've read thus far, thks for reading, and have a nice day..
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 15th August 2009 at 01:57 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo



    The photos were printed and pasted on a cardboard so its hard enough to be held with 1 hand.
    Lucky I went down one nite after work, just to see if the benches are even still there.

    Because then I realized that the larger-sized photo which I had, totally covered whatever is in the background!!Silly me..
    So I went home and prepared a smaller sized version, and also better to match up with background..lol
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 16th August 2009 at 12:20 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Hi bro, I saw your winning entry at the exhibition at Orchard Central. I think it is deceptively simple; I'm sure it was a challenge to align and expose the photograph correctly. And it certainly suits the theme of the competition to a tee. Well done!

  4. #4

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Hi bro, I saw your winning entry at the exhibition at Orchard Central. I think it is deceptively simple; I'm sure it was a challenge to align and expose the photograph correctly. And it certainly suits the theme of the competition to a tee. Well done!
    Thks!
    I carried my cam to work and home for so many days, hoping to go rush down during lunch hrs, but I was either too busy or the sky was the usual drab plain gray..lol

    Only few days before closing, the sky cleared up, lunch time came, I SWITCHED OFF my mobile so office cannot find me for next 1/2 hr, and rushed down... Yes, I ran at some point..from ard clarkequay.

    I have many shots with 3-4 points aligned but only abt 2 that really all kindda matches up, so I'm lucky. Was hard to see on tiny viewfinder. Dont have time to examine through LCD on the spot.

    Ran back office all sweaty, fingers crossed hope got x1 that works...lol:bsmilie
    Was exciting.
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 16th August 2009 at 12:21 AM.

  5. #5
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    I saw your photo on Prime Time Morning, Channel News Asia. So you happen to be the photog.

    Good work.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  6. #6
    Senior Member SK1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Changi
    Posts
    2,643

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post


    I was fortunate enough to win a prize in this photo contest and received a Nikon D5000;
    which I've since sold off to a nice forumer few days ago.

    I tried to find the right location, angle, camera focal length and how far away to hold the photo. Also I try to have x5 points on the old photo match with the background. Hard to se via the viewfinder so I took many shots, just hoping to get x1 that matches nicely..lol

    It was shot 1-handed and I had to put down my cam quite a few times cause they were tired..haha.

    Life was simpler then and if they did go out, they'd put on their best clothes, usually clothes from Chinese New Year;and thats also the only time in a year when they have new clothing.

    Doris, my wife in the center, was wearing a dress that was too big for her. In those days, children's clothes were made bigger so that they could wear them for a longer period of time to save money. You can also see that her brother has outgrown his CNY(Feb) pants by Nov.

    Besides the changes in surroundings, I believe it is these little stories behind the photo that has made it more interesting & meaningful.

    I recognize that this is by no means a high 'WOW' factor photo,or even 'beautiful'photo with nice lighting and stuff, but it is special to me and I suspect will remain even more so to my in-laws family.

    And thats really nice and really all that matters.. This is also in part how photography can be so meaningful, beyond a simple hobby, to me.

    *If you've read thus far, thks for reading, and have a nice day..
    Agree with you totally. To many, photos are meant to capture memorable moments only...me one of them Don't care what it is shot with, high tech or not, colour nice or not, oof or not...it is the moment that is important.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    BUKIT PANJANG
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post


    I was fortunate enough to win a prize in this photo contest and received a Nikon D5000;
    which I've since sold off to a nice forumer few days ago.

    I tried to find the right location, angle, camera focal length and how far away to hold the photo. Also I try to have x5 points on the old photo match with the background. Hard to se via the viewfinder so I took many shots, just hoping to get x1 that matches nicely..lol

    It was shot 1-handed and I had to put down my cam quite a few times cause they were tired..haha.

    Life was simpler then and if they did go out, they'd put on their best clothes, usually clothes from Chinese New Year;and thats also the only time in a year when they have new clothing.

    Doris, my wife in the center, was wearing a dress that was too big for her. In those days, children's clothes were made bigger so that they could wear them for a longer period of time to save money. You can also see that her brother has outgrown his CNY(Feb) pants by Nov.

    Besides the changes in surroundings, I believe it is these little stories behind the photo that has made it more interesting & meaningful.

    I recognize that this is by no means a high 'WOW' factor photo,or even 'beautiful'photo with nice lighting and stuff, but it is special to me and I suspect will remain even more so to my in-laws family.

    And thats really nice and really all that matters.. This is also in part how photography can be so meaningful, beyond a simple hobby, to me.

    *If you've read thus far, thks for reading, and have a nice day..
    GRATZ~~ on winning!
    Simple photo which can speak loads
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

  8. #8

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    so its you with your winning shot!
    its a great shot
    worth of the winning title!!

    congrats!!!

  9. #9

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    simply lovely!! Opens up my eyes. Good work.. creative and impressive!

  10. #10

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    think it's very ncely done
    kudos!

  11. #11

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Congrats! Nice photo btw.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    255

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Impressive. Very creative. Thanks for the share!

  13. #13

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    I enjoyed your account on how you came up with the photo as much as I liked looking at your winning entry. Thanks for posting this and sharing your experiences - two thumbs up!

  14. #14
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    congratz! hope to see more of youre work!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sri Jayawardenapura, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Congratulations from Sri Lanka.... Excellently executed winning entry!

  16. #16

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Thks all, glad u guys like the photo.

    I posted it not to share how 'gd' it is, cause its really a simple photo, but to share the side stories.

    My wife has told me they were going to kusu island then, was waiting for boat and so they walked over. You have no idea how much I quizzed my wife over many small details before she mentioned the little bit about her BIG dress and bro's short pants.

    Silly me was then trying to find if theres a reason her 2 sis were not wearing shoes in the photo..lol

    A pity the benches were no longer the same. Besides historical building, I wish the Govt will also preserve less 'important' structures. It will be so cool if say I can still see x1 old style bus-stop in Orchard Road, an officially preserved old 'dragon' children sand playground etc...

    Thks.

  17. #17
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    sadly, historical structure and things of our heritage is not usually paid attention to unless it has some potential of generating more income than the amount that's used to help preserve it.
    sigh.

  18. #18

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    sadly, historical structure and things of our heritage is not usually paid attention to unless it has some potential of generating more income than the amount that's used to help preserve it.
    Yes, I was thinking after taking the shot, few years from now, will I still have the chance or those benches and wall would have been gone... since they already look old..

    I wouldnt be surprised. Its a pity but I believe our Govt will want tourist photos to have shiny new benches to sit on, or stand for that matter..lol
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 16th August 2009 at 12:28 AM.

  19. #19
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Yes, I was thinking after taking the shot, few years from now, will I still have the chance or those benches and wall would have been gone... since they already look old..
    i guess we, as the photographers of singapore, should take it upon ourselves to preserve the memories of whatever we have left now with the best of our skills so the generations to come can know of their heritage.
    quoting from somewhere: the only thing worse than nostalgia is amnesia.
    sigh.

  20. #20
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,836

    Default Re: My Life: Then & Now Photo

    congrats bro!

    i saw your winning photo at OC yesterday. It's very well taken! Although i dun find the 3rd prize winner very fantastic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •