Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Lighting a group shot

  1. #21

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    get a tripod, set your camera height at the eye level of the second row people.

    use 50mm lens if you are using full frame body, 35mm if you are using 1.5x crop body

    get a studio mono light 500ws, with a reflective umbrella,

    mount it on a very big and tall light stand, you need to let the light taller than the last row people.

    set the light just right above your camera, don't bother light spill, you should be more concern to get the exposure is very evenly from left to right, front row to back row.

    forget about mixed with ambient light, just use another flash to light the background, unless you can get ambient light at 1/60 with f8, or else if someboby keep moving, you will not able to get any sharp photos.

    btw, one light one shadow, two lights two shadows, multiple lights many shadows, and also if one hotshoe flash deliver f4, you need 4 flash to deliver f8, 8 flash to deliver f11.
    so it is easier and faster to set up just one mono block.

    or you can just simply shoot the group photo in very high ISO with one hotshoe flash

    hmm, if lets say i have 3 flashes and the background are just some curtains ( if not they are windows, even worse ).. so i won't need to light the background. should i use the 3rd flash and bounce off ceiling instead? if yes, hide it behind the group or behind my camera? or what can i use it for?

    sorry for the lousy diagram - it was pretty hard to adjust them. haha.

    i can only make do with my equipment though :
    2 stands
    3 flashes ( all have equiv. power to 430exII - possible to shoot @ f11, iso400? )
    2 shoot-thrus
    1 tripod
    1 full set of gels

    should be around 3 rows of 8 also. relatively small room.
    Last edited by tester99; 9th February 2010 at 11:01 AM.

  2. #22
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,820

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    do you have time to set up and test before get the people come in?
    do you have assistants to help you fine tune position of lighting while you pose or arrange the people?
    can the people wait for you to see reviews and fine tune poses or lighting?

    if not, keep it simple.

    since the room is small, ceiling could be normal height, just set all three lights ceiling bounce, you should able to get soft even lighting from corners to corners and yet powerful enough.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #23

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    do you have time to set up and test before get the people come in?
    do you have assistants to help you fine tune position of lighting while you pose or arrange the people?
    can the people wait for you to see reviews and fine tune poses or lighting?

    if not, keep it simple.

    since the room is small, ceiling could be normal height, just set all three lights ceiling bounce, you should able to get soft even lighting from corners to corners and yet powerful enough.
    haha. yes to all questions posed. cos it's just my family portrait. gonna do it on 1st day of cny.

    hmm, but i received opinions that shooting straight on with umbrellas would give a better,softer effect? i know this doesn't make sense - since the ceiling has more size than the pathetic 33" umbrellas. care to explain?

    another qn is - if the ceiling is slightly tinted, which means i can't do ceiling bounce. so what do i do with my 3 flashes?

  4. #24

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    just to share.

    i took a large group shot outdoors (at the YOG countdown timer opposite the Padang) at 2am+. the lights of the building was switched off by then.

    Used a single 580EXII mounted on the horseshoe, f/2.8 with exposure compensation at +2 and flash compensation at +2.

    finally product is adequately lighted, with the faces of everyone shown clearly.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by tester99 View Post
    haha. yes to all questions posed. cos it's just my family portrait. gonna do it on 1st day of cny.

    hmm, but i received opinions that shooting straight on with umbrellas would give a better,softer effect? i know this doesn't make sense - since the ceiling has more size than the pathetic 33" umbrellas. care to explain?

    another qn is - if the ceiling is slightly tinted, which means i can't do ceiling bounce. so what do i do with my 3 flashes?
    Unless you have a seriously tinted like mine is bright yellow like a lemon it should work fine. Also considering the ceiling is even in color should be easy to correct in post. Color accuracy may be less of a concern if its not too serious. I dont think you need to worry about spill if the place is very open if you have your lens hood on coz the lights are high.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

  6. #26

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    Unless you have a seriously tinted like mine is bright yellow like a lemon it should work fine. Also considering the ceiling is even in color should be easy to correct in post. Color accuracy may be less of a concern if its not too serious. I dont think you need to worry about spill if the place is very open if you have your lens hood on coz the lights are high.
    hmm, mine is actually sky blue, so i guess its not gonna look very nice on the subjects. haha.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaraphon View Post
    just to share.

    i took a large group shot outdoors (at the YOG countdown timer opposite the Padang) at 2am+. the lights of the building was switched off by then.

    Used a single 580EXII mounted on the horseshoe, f/2.8 with exposure compensation at +2 and flash compensation at +2.

    finally product is adequately lighted, with the faces of everyone shown clearly.
    you used direct flash i presume?

  8. #28

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    family portrait?then WHY bother to make them stand in 3 rows?

    you should pose them as comfortable as they are since they're your family.

    I've lit a large group of 38 using 1 single profoto soft box.however, the softbox is a octagonal one and it's friggin big.

    one light will do (IMHO),
    else, up your iso and use ambient light.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    family portrait?then WHY bother to make them stand in 3 rows?

    you should pose them as comfortable as they are since they're your family.

    I've lit a large group of 38 using 1 single profoto soft box.however, the softbox is a octagonal one and it's friggin big.

    one light will do (IMHO),
    else, up your iso and use ambient light.
    maybe he got big big family must stand in 3 rows.

    yup if possible use as much ambient light as you can.
    you would want to avoid uneven lighting across different people
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    maybe he got big big family must stand in 3 rows.

    yup if possible use as much ambient light as you can.
    you would want to avoid uneven lighting across different people
    the less number of flashes you use, the less the problems of thinking HOW to eliminate the shadows.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by tester99 View Post
    you used direct flash i presume?
    ah, yes. forgot to add. plus the built-in diffuser. also, the group and i were seperated by a 3-lane road.

    picture did not turn out to be harsh at all.

  12. #32
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,820

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    the less number of flashes you use, the less the problems of thinking HOW to eliminate the shadows.
    jeanie you are so correct.

    maybe TS want a clan association type of family portrait.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #33
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,820

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaraphon View Post
    ah, yes. forgot to add. plus the built-in diffuser. also, the group and i were seperated by a 3-lane road.

    picture did not turn out to be harsh at all.
    I don't think it is harsh at, perhaps is so under and flat.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #34

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    nope, it is definitely not under.

    unfortunately, the rights to the photos belong to the organisation now. i can't put them up anywhere.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    family portrait?then WHY bother to make them stand in 3 rows?

    you should pose them as comfortable as they are since they're your family.

    I've lit a large group of 38 using 1 single profoto soft box.however, the softbox is a octagonal one and it's friggin big.

    one light will do (IMHO),
    else, up your iso and use ambient light.
    erm, it's actually a few families combined together ( from parents to grandparents with uncles & aunties ), tads why it adds up to quite a number of them. all ages also.. few mths old to 80+ yrs old. pretty hard to get them to be spontaneous rite

    i'd prefer a cleaner image.. my 1000d does quite badly (imo, i know 1000d is one of the best in the budget segment alr) from 800 and above. 400 is a pretty gd spot for my cam i guess.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    who is asking the question ?

  17. #37

    Default Re: Lighting a group shot

    Quote Originally Posted by tester99 View Post
    erm, it's actually a few families combined together ( from parents to grandparents with uncles & aunties ), tads why it adds up to quite a number of them. all ages also.. few mths old to 80+ yrs old. pretty hard to get them to be spontaneous rite

    i'd prefer a cleaner image.. my 1000d does quite badly (imo, i know 1000d is one of the best in the budget segment alr) from 800 and above. 400 is a pretty gd spot for my cam i guess.
    My gf's family pic is 100+ ppl need uwa + lighting lol.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •