Thread: film users : do/would you give up your negatives?

Question film users : do/would you give up your negatives?

When you're shooting a wedding or whole day event, you're likely to go into hundreds of shots and it is highly unlikely that every single one will turn out good.

A lot of clubsnappers insist that one should only show/display their good pictures to the client and i agree entirely with that logic but when a customer wants the negatives, he/she/they will be getting access to all your bad pictures as well.

I recently shot gratis for a friend's wedding to start building an actual day wedding portfolio and the friend could not understand why I wanted to keep the negatives. If I asked myself, based on the quality of the output, did i have enough good pictures to tell the story of the day? I would answer yes, but if i gave my friends the negatives and they saw all my bad shots as well then naturally their confidence levels (and their willingness to recommend) wouldn't be the same even if they got the good prints.

what is your stand on this?

For wedding shot, I will return everything (prints and negatives - this is normally the market practice). For me, tolerance level for bad shots is 1-2 frame per roll. Pardon me for been harshed, if you have too much bad shots per roll, I think you better brush up on your skill before you even start charging for wedding/event shoot.

Hmm...since you shot gratis, it doesn't really matter giving them back the negatives, they will be eternally grateful anyway..:P

Anyway, I've been shooting for friends and their relatives and so far I've been returning all the negatives. A couple of bad shots in each roll won't really matter as long as you have good ones to show for it. Seriously, normal folks are a lot less critical unless they happen to be a photographer as well.

I return them, bad shots and all. Seriously, they are not going to print all of them again to see them. Most likely they will reprint whatever from the album you gave. Anyway like scanner said, if you have too many, then you should brush up.

Giving them the negs also relieves me from having to handle the administrative task of taking reprint orders.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Seriously, normal folks are a lot less critical unless they happen to be a photographer as well.
    Sorry OT abit. Recently shot backup for a friend's wedding and found out his dad is a real pro.
    now i stress up already. Scared his dad mention photos cannot even compare with his.

The last wedding I do I shoot 10 rolls colour & 1 roll B & W. All in all, I've only rejected about 11 pics due to their eyes close or look like wanna sleep. I return all the pics and negs but those rejected ones never get to go into the album.

Poon, why stress yourself up comparing yourself to an "Old Bird". What you can do constructively is to take a look at your pics and his pics and see which one of yours cannot make it and why it cannot make it. And ask him how he manage to grab his shots.

Quote Originally Posted by vader
    The last wedding I do I shoot 10 rolls colour & 1 roll B & W. All in all, I've only rejected about 11 pics due to their eyes close or look like wanna sleep. I return all the pics and negs but those rejected ones never get to go into the album.
    Hahaha... My friend took my wedding shots and they turned out okay.

Except for two pictures where in the first photo I was the one with closed eyes, the second photo my wife closed her eyes.

It was hilarious. He did have some other pictures in other poses, so it was alright then.

Actually, allow me to say someting, sometimes professional photographers do have few buang shots also.

I saw one of my colleague's actual day wedding album. She hired a pro...somemore that person was wearing a cardigan stating he is a pro from which bridal shop.
    About half of the table shots are overexposed, mainly the face are overly bright till eveyone looks fair. (and I wonder why) With some pple closing eyes etc
    And outdoor shots have lens flares on the bride's face.
    And they are in the album...
    If u asked me, I can say I will think twice about going to this shop for photo shots. It affects the confident. But, that is what photography is all about, shoot till pple can have confident in ourselves is the best
    Last edited by jnifur; 23rd December 2003 at 09:41 PM.
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Hello jnifur,

Some of the guests may have drunk too much, that's why they close their eyes...

Usually I'll take control and tell them "Hello, It's time to take group photos for remembrance, everybody look at my lens and smile and count loudly 1,2,3" then flash goes off.crack some jokes now and then to de-stress them, get their attention.

Hello jnifur,

Some of the guests may have drunk too much, that's why they close their eyes...

Usually I'll take control and tell them "Hello, It's time to take group photos for remembrance, everybody look at my lens and smile and count loudly 1,2,3" then flash goes off.crack some jokes now and then to de-stress them, get their attention.
    The most hilarious table shot that I got is that, the photographer come over, and say..."come come faster faster, no time liao. Pple behind lean forward, pple sitting lean backwards, 1, 2, 3 smile" and CLICK...
    that's it.
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Default do/would you give up your negatives?

hi gohfigure,
    i just did a wedding day shoot for a friend last weekend. shot about 14 rolls colour and had about 4 shots out of focus. the wedding dinner table shots are the tedious ones. waiting for friends who went smoking, toilet, other tables to chit chat, or god knows what to come back to the tables for the shots takes some time. once they are at the table i'll usually ask them to sit closer together, do a countdow and snap. returned all the negetives but kept a copy of the negetive scans for myself.

when the shot is for others event then jus give a copy of the negs for them, where the spoilt frames are deleted.
    or can try cloning the negs

Reasonably there's no midway measures here. You can't snip out just the bad frames and pass the rest to your friends can you?

I wouldn't worry too much about this friend passing off less than stellar remarks for your photography because of a few bad shots. You could educate them about wedding photography so they can appreciate the amount of effort, skill and vision you have put into capturing their big day, and that bad shots do appear once in a while.

If they can't be educated, and/or end up passing unconstructive comments on your photography to potential clients, it's really tough luck for you to have shot gratis for them in the first place. In which case, you would probably learn to pick your friends / clients better in the future - tough sentiments I know, but why compromise yourself and your craft?

In any case, most wedding clients demand full packages from the photographer - you supply craft, negatives, reprints, and album. Give your friend the package so s/he don't feel obliged to look at the negatives personally.

From the albums I see of my friends' weddings, there's a few photographers who have no qualms putting in bad shots in the album. Who needs editing?

If you craft shines through, that's what your friend should remember.

Smile

A huge thank you to everyone who responded. Through your responses I have learnt that it is generally a norm to give the clients the negatives and as such will have to improve a lot more (perhaps using a manual focus camera for a wedding isn't exactly the best idea) before I start offering my services.

Once again, thank you for responding to my question.

Poon, why stress yourself up comparing yourself to an "Old Bird". What you can do constructively is to take a look at your pics and his pics and see which one of yours cannot make it and why it cannot make it. And ask him how he manage to grab his shots.
    When you shoot b&w for weddings, I presume you just go to ruby and ask them to print out all the prints in 4R? Or do you print them yourself?