Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gitzo Tripod & Giottos Ball Head

Quote Originally Posted by ivor
    Can anyone advise what is the max weight that a Gitzo Tripod (Max 2.5kg) with Giottos Ball Head (Max 6.5kg) take??

As far as I understand, ballhead can take 6.5kg, but your stand is only rated up to 2.5kg. Then how can a stand that take max of 2.5kg, able to carry 6kg of weight, exceeded 3.5kg.

In order to maximise your ballhead that can take 6.5kg, the stand needs to be at least able to take 6.5kg. The stand would not be able to take anything more that 2.5kg.

And can I mount a Canon 10D w/Batt Grip and a Canon EF 100-400L, and still be relatively steady.
    You have already answered the first question yourself in the 3rd paragraph. The setup is only as strong as the weakest link. Just bear in mind that the load rating provided by the manufacturers always have a safety margin, so that the tripod will not just collapse if you put 2.6 kg on it.

I don't understand the question in your second paragraph. Did someone make a claim that a tripod rated at 2.5 kg load can withstand a 6.5 kg actual load when fitted with a 6.5 kg rated ball head? Can you provide the reference to that claim? If not, then this question has no basis. Even if someone made that claim, it should be clear that such a claim is not valid.

Just calculate the total weight of the equipment that you need a tripod for, and then compare that with the rating of the tripod and ball head. The tripod should be able to take the weitght of the equipment plus the weight ofthe ball head, and the ball head should be able to take the weight of the equipment.

If the load exceeds the manufacturer's specifification but only marginally, the best is to try it out at the shop before you buy. As I said above I don't think in such a case the tripod would just collapse under th increased load, but it may start to loose stability as the load increases because of the higher centre of gravity of the whole setup.

If this thread degrades into a follow-up debate from Terence's sales of his tripod and ballhead, I will close this thread immediately.

Thanks.

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Thanks Roy for the firm answer.

As I had mentioned, I am in doubt so I ask, and it has nothing to do with anyone thread. Just that I saw someone posted a thread claiming that his 'heavy' equipments (assuming Canon 10D with Batt Grip & Canon EF 100-400L, total to 2.64kg) can sit steady on a max 2.5kg tripod... Trying seek answer.

That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    If the load exceeds the manufacturer's specifification but only marginally, the best is to try it out at the shop before you buy. As I said above I don't think in such a case the tripod would just collapse under th increased load, but it may start to loose stability as the load increases because of the higher centre of gravity of the whole setup.

If this thread degrades into a follow-up debate from Terence's sales of his tripod and ballhead, I will close this thread immediately.

Thanks.

- Roy

Just that I saw someone posted a thread claiming that his 'heavy' equipments (assuming Canon 10D with Batt Grip & Canon EF 100-400L, total to 2.64kg) can sit steady on a max 2.5kg tripod... Trying seek answer.

That's all.
    Look... for the umpteenth time... the setup I mentioned DOES NOT contain a battery grip. The weight was under 2.5kg... so stop putting words in my mouth. Can you read?

You're assuming again....

Roy, please shut this thread down. It's going nowhere. So many folks have tried to explain to Ivor and he still does not get it. It took him a day to realise my ballhead can support 6kg... he thought it weighed 6kg. Sigh....
    Last edited by Terence; 24th December 2003 at 09:24 AM.

Obvously, this Terence fellow is trying to create trouble here..

Who on earth is putting word in your mouth?? Did any part of this thread ever mentioned or printed your name??

Didn't I put it clearly, "assuming..."??

Didn't I put in openly that this thread has nothing to do with anyone thread... Are you saying that no one can post a thread to seek answer to clear their doubt on their equipments??

You are the one that simply don't get it and here to stir trouble. YOU ARE THE ONE CONSTANLY LINKING THIS THREAD TO YOUR SALE THREAD.

What does this thread has anything to do with your 'ballhead'??

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Look... for the umpteenth time... the setup I mentioned DOES NOT contain a battery grip. The weight was under 2.5kg... so stop putting words in my mouth. Can you read?

You're assuming again....

Roy, please shut this thread down. It's going nowhere. So many folks have tried to explain to Ivor and he still does not get it. It took him a day to realise my ballhead can support 6kg... he thought it weighed 6kg. Sigh....
    Last edited by ivor; 24th December 2003 at 09:37 AM.

Alamak, someone restore the original posts so that everything will be clear. Kei...I think you deleted the thread that togu split from the sales thread right? Better to have one battleground than multiples ones.

Blog Entries

Terence & Ivor,

Please stop your petty bickering over a small & trivial matter.

To Both of you - There is no right or wrong answer to the question that Ivor has posted. A tripod rated at 2.5kg can hold weight greater than 2.5kg - whether its usable or not, stable, near to collapse, thats a different question. But as Roy pointed out, there's always the weakest link, thus if your ballhead can take 6kg but tripod can only take 2.5kg, then 2.5kg is the limiting factor.

To Terence - We do not see anything wrong with Ivor posting a question here. In no way did he reference his post to your Buy & Sell post (in fact, if you didn't post the link, I personally would not have known) and its acceptable to ask a question such as his.

To Ivor - Perhaps if you had NOT put names such as Gitzo/Giotto which Terence obviously assumed to refer to his thread, things would not have turned ugly.

Assumptions and jumping to conclusions (which are apparent in this thread and the other two threads) always leads to this kind of misunderstandings.

We are not closing this thread, but if things persist, we will have no choice.

Better to have no battleground

Anyway, ivor and terrence, please settle your differences through pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Alamak, someone restore the original posts so that everything will be clear. Kei...I think you deleted the thread that togu split from the sales thread right? Better to have one battleground than multiples ones.

Stalker!!

And no battleground in Buy/Sell!
    Last edited by togu; 24th December 2003 at 11:32 AM.

Default ...then 2.5kg is the limiting factor

Thanks Darren for the clarification, and note on the names used in the future.

I guess the answer is obvious that 2.5kg is the limiting factor.

The answer of the thread is cruical to me, as it assists me in deciding whether there is a need for me to upgrade the tripod stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    There is no right or wrong answer to the question that Ivor has posted. A tripod rated at 2.5kg can hold weight greater than 2.5kg - whether its usable or not, stable, near to collapse, thats a different question. But as Roy pointed out, there's always the weakest link, thus if your ballhead can take 6kg but tripod can only take 2.5kg, then 2.5kg is the limiting factor.

To Ivor[/b] - Perhaps if you had NOT put names such as Gitzo/Giotto which Terence obviously assumed to refer to his thread, things would not have turned ugly.

Assumptions and jumping to conclusions (which are apparent in this thread and the other two threads) always leads to this kind of misunderstandings.

We are not closing this thread, but if things persist, we will have no choice.

Thanks Darren for the clarification, and note on the names used in the future.

I guess the answer is obvious that 2.5kg is the limiting factor.

The answer of the thread is cruical to me, as it assists me in deciding whether there is a need for me to upgrade the tripod stand.

Bring your setup down to CP, tonnes of tripods for you to test it out there. You can try whatever combos you want. Seeing is believing.

And.... it's christmas eve!! Drop the tripods and go get yourself a turkey instead.

I can help you on the food tho.

Quote Originally Posted by togu

Stalker!!

I would prefer the term "omniscient":P

I've said all I want to say. Time to get on with my life...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12