Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Gitzo Tripod & Giottos Ball Head

  1. #1
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default Gitzo Tripod & Giottos Ball Head

    Can anyone advise what is the max weight that a Gitzo Tripod (Max 2.5kg) with Giottos Ball Head (Max 6.5kg) take??

    As far as I understand, ballhead can take 6.5kg, but your stand is only rated up to 2.5kg. Then how can a stand that take max of 2.5kg, able to carry 6kg of weight, exceeded 3.5kg.

    In order to maximise your ballhead that can take 6.5kg, the stand needs to be at least able to take 6.5kg. The stand would not be able to take anything more that 2.5kg.

    And can I mount a Canon 10D w/Batt Grip and a Canon EF 100-400L, and still be relatively steady.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ivor
    Can anyone advise what is the max weight that a Gitzo Tripod (Max 2.5kg) with Giottos Ball Head (Max 6.5kg) take??

    As far as I understand, ballhead can take 6.5kg, but your stand is only rated up to 2.5kg. Then how can a stand that take max of 2.5kg, able to carry 6kg of weight, exceeded 3.5kg.

    In order to maximise your ballhead that can take 6.5kg, the stand needs to be at least able to take 6.5kg. The stand would not be able to take anything more that 2.5kg.

    And can I mount a Canon 10D w/Batt Grip and a Canon EF 100-400L, and still be relatively steady.

    And why is it not possible to buy a ballhead which can carry more weight than the tripod? Don't you think it's possible to upgrade the tripod in the future without upgrading the ballhead??

    The experts at Cathay, as you yourself mentioned... were the ones who recommended this setup for me... I even brought the cam and telephoto lens down... I told you the setup is 2.41kg... what the heck is your problem?? Can you not understand??

    You really are dim, you just cannot believe what I told you in my sell thread can you??

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    Can I suggest to everyone to not waste your time replying to Ivor. He just does not get it. Please refer to his silly remarks and suppositions in the following thread in the buy/sell page... This was the tripod and ball head he is referring to.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=55868

  4. #4
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    You are making this very ugly... I am just simply asking a question??

    On your thread, as a interested buyer, are you saying that I can't asked when I am in doubt, and don't understand why your 10D with 100-400L can sit steady on the tripod??

    On this thread, I am in doubt so I ask, and it has nothing to do with you or your thread. I printed the Canon 10D with Batt Grip which is 1260g & Canon EF 100-400L is 1380g, total to 2640g. Is that wrong to ask?? Or are you saying that you are the only one that has this setup, and no one has, which is in doubt??


    Since you are the first to strike and openly commented that my reference is silly, and worst of all, suggest that everyone not to waste their time replying me...

    Let us all think for yourself... potential buyer of a Gitzo Tripod that can takes max of 2.5kg. Is it worth to buy this tripod (to help someone to get rid of his useless tripod) and find that it doesn't meet your need in the near future and upgrade again, thus pay even more.



    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Can I suggest to everyone to not waste your time replying to Ivor. He just does not get it. Please refer to his silly remarks and suppositions in the following thread in the buy/sell page... This was the tripod and ball head he is referring to.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=55868

  5. #5

    Default

    Well to be fair, Ivor, you did make a couple of wrong assumptions in the first place despite the fact that everything was stated clearly. It would help if both of you cooled off a bit.

    Anyway, a tripod rated up to 2.5kg means that its recommended weight is 2.5kg, doesn't mean that it can't support more if the owner wants to.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ivor
    I printed the Canon 10D with Batt Grip which is 1260g & Canon EF 100-400L is 1380g, total to 2640g. Is that wrong to ask?? Or are you saying that you are the only one that has this setup, and no one has, which is in doubt??
    I merely used that as an example of what it is capable of supporting. My example never included a flash or a battery grip which you mentioned. In your own calculations, my setup never exceeded 2.5 kg.

    Quote Originally Posted by ivor
    Let us all think for yourself... potential buyer of a Gitzo Tripod that can takes max of 2.5kg. Is it worth to buy this tripod (to help someone to get rid of his useless tripod) and find that it doesn't meet your need in the near future and upgrade again, thus pay even more.
    You pay $$$ for the Gitzo quality and workmanship. What else do you want others to understand. I clearly stated the model of the tripod and its support limits. Do you really think you need to help others understand what "support up to 2.5kg" means? Don't you think others would know how much their gear weighs? I even mentioned it is a light tripod.

    You're not even acknowledging you made some really inaccurate assumptions.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    I would like to know what assumption that I made that was wrong??

    And are you saying that the Canon 10D with Batt Grip which is 1260g & Canon EF 100-400L is 1380g, total to 2640g, can be mounted on the tripod that only support max weight of 2.5kg??





    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Well to be fair, Ivor, you did make a couple of wrong assumptions in the first place despite the fact that everything was stated clearly. It would help if both of you cooled off a bit.

    Anyway, a tripod rated up to 2.5kg means that its recommended weight is 2.5kg, doesn't mean that it can't support more if the owner wants to.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ivor
    I would like to know what assumption that I made that was wrong??
    Assuming that the ballhead can take only 2.5Kg was the first, adding verticle grip and flash into the calculations when it wasn't mentioned was another. You mentioned both of these in his buy/sell post. IMO you should have acknowledged the mistakes when pointed out before you proceeded with any additional queries.

    And are you saying that the Canon 10D with Batt Grip which is 1260g & Canon EF 100-400L is 1380g, total to 2640g, can be mounted on the tripod that only support max weight of 2.5kg??
    Yes. It's not as if it will immediately break when u exceed. Recommended weight limits are just guidelines for stability. Anyway, most people have configurations with ballheads rated far greater than the tripod.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    At the first place, I had said this thread has nothing to do with your thread... since you to mix them together...

    Do not know what inaccurate assumption are you referring to??

    You mean I can't have a Canon 10D with Batt Grip & Canon EF 100-400L, and cannot find out whether my gear can sit on a tripod that only support max 2.5kg while I have accurate weight of my gears which is 2.64kg. Are you now saying that I cannot post a question in this forum about doubt that I have on my gears and tripod.

    And over at your thread, I had openly apologised, and over this thread you are the one that is openly creating trouble.

    Maybe only people like you wouldn't know what your gears weight. All the weight info can be obtained on the manufacturers website.


    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    I clearly stated the model of the tripod and its support limits. Do you really think you need to help others understand what "support up to 2.5kg" means? Don't you think others would know how much their gear weighs? I even mentioned it is a light tripod.

    You're not even acknowledging you made some really inaccurate assumptions.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Ok, I was in doubt, because I saw someone posting a sale of a similiar tripod, with the similiar photography setup, and claimed that it is still be relatively steady., and hoping to get some advise.

    If the moderator thinks that posting my doubts about my tripod and photography gears in WRONG here, then please let me know, and I will refrain from post my doubts in here.

    From the beginning of the thread, my purpose is to clear my doubt until someone start to make thing ugly here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Yes. It's not as if it will immediately break when u exceed. Recommended weight limits are just guidelines for stability. Anyway, most people have configurations with ballheads rated far greater than the tripod.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bukit Timah
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Yes. It's not as if it will immediately break when u exceed. Recommended weight limits are just guidelines for stability. Anyway, most people have configurations with ballheads rated far greater than the tripod.
    So has this answer cleared your doubts? A load exceeding the weight limit just reduces the tripods ability to remain stable, it can still mount a heavier weight but just not as stable. Anyway a higher rated ballhead gives the user to upgrade to another tripod when the present cannot meet his needs anymore. Maybe that's why people have ballheads rated higher than the tripod.

    Enough anger in this thread already. I hope Ivor has gotten his questions answered and Terence, why don't you leave him be and carry with other stuff that needs your attention. Make peace not war.

  12. #12

    Default

    Well, in the first place Ivor does not mean any harm by saying this. Maybe Ivor need to read more and test the load on the tripod setup. It's always recommended not to max out the load of your tripod or ballhead as it's cheap to replace a tripod and ballhead but not cheap to replace a 10D and a 100-400L IS.

    But the seller is not wrong to comment on him since it's his freedom to do so. Maybe seller should not flare up and just ignored Ivor. He just don't know whether to take the risk or not.

    Let the moderators decide on whether to close this thread before WWIII starts again. Keep this forum nice and fun.

    Merry Xmas to everyone.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Thanks for the clarification and advise.

    My main concern is the 10D and 100-400L, my concern is most of the tripod give way, and all gears lying on the floor (dead).

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ivor
    Can anyone advise what is the max weight that a Gitzo Tripod (Max 2.5kg) with Giottos Ball Head (Max 6.5kg) take??

    As far as I understand, ballhead can take 6.5kg, but your stand is only rated up to 2.5kg. Then how can a stand that take max of 2.5kg, able to carry 6kg of weight, exceeded 3.5kg.

    In theory, the tripod can only support weight up to recomended weight minus weight of head.

    The tripod being the weakest point will cause the problem. Either by not being stable or simply break at a point.

    It is like a lorry with crane. If the lorry can carry 2 tonne but the crane can carry 5 tonne. At which point will the whole setup be unstable? Not prize for guessing.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Over 2 tonne??



    Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    It is like a lorry with crane. If the lorry can carry 2 tonne but the crane can carry 5 tonne. At which point will the whole setup be unstable? Not prize for guessing.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    In theory, the tripod can only support weight up to recomended weight minus weight of head.

    The tripod being the weakest point will cause the problem. Either by not being stable or simply break at a point.

    It is like a lorry with crane. If the lorry can carry 2 tonne but the crane can carry 5 tonne. At which point will the whole setup be unstable? Not prize for guessing.

    Definitely more than 2 tonnes, As construction vechicles are built with a safety factor into the recommended weight.

    I'm not sure about tripod 'recommended weight' and safety factor they use. as it is not as criticial compare to lorry with crane.

    What I'm saying is cannot compare tripod with lorry and crane.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ivor
    Can anyone advise what is the max weight that a Gitzo Tripod (Max 2.5kg) with Giottos Ball Head (Max 6.5kg) take??

    As far as I understand, ballhead can take 6.5kg, but your stand is only rated up to 2.5kg. Then how can a stand that take max of 2.5kg, able to carry 6kg of weight, exceeded 3.5kg.

    In order to maximise your ballhead that can take 6.5kg, the stand needs to be at least able to take 6.5kg. The stand would not be able to take anything more that 2.5kg.

    And can I mount a Canon 10D w/Batt Grip and a Canon EF 100-400L, and still be relatively steady.

    I have both Gitzo head and tripod. Frankly, Gitzo head is pretty lousy. It creeps. My setting is around 3.5 kg. No matter how hard I turn the knot, it still creeps.

    Their tripod is rock stable though, you won't regret owning a Gitzo tripod.

    Hope this help.
    Objection !!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    Definitely more than 2 tonnes, As construction vechicles are built with a safety factor into the recommended weight.

    I'm not sure about tripod 'recommended weight' and safety factor they use. as it is not as criticial compare to lorry with crane.

    What I'm saying is cannot compare tripod with lorry and crane.

    Just an example lah...

    What I am trying to say is that the weakest point will give way 1st.

    Similarly, if the crane can take 2 tonne but the lorry can take 5 tonne. The limiting factor will still be the crane.

  19. #19

    Default

    Anyway, to really understand how this came about, one needs to read the original posts which have been removed by the moderator.

  20. #20
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    it's funny to see in both threads, the GIOTTOS ballhead has evolved into the GITZO ballhead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •