must all images have a subject
    find me on |flickr|?

Default Re: Lonliness

Quote Originally Posted by pyrique View Post
    what is a snapshot?
    are all snapshots bad?
    must all images have a subject
    1) a picture taken without thought, or at least without apparent thought

2) no, but if they have more personal value than anything else, then you may get less upset if you do not showcase them online, since people will not be able to appreciate the amount of worth you give it. and learning this is important.

3) see 2

so snapshots have to have more "personal value than anything else"
    can snapshots be appreciated by people outside your 'inner circle'?

snapshot?
    find me on |flickr|?

snapshot?

find me on |flickr|?

so snapshots have to have more "personal value than anything else"
    can snapshots be appreciated by people outside your 'inner circle'?

snapshot?
    snapshot?

yawn, no need to bait me with these things.

i am not an arty-farty person, but at least i am clear on my views. if you want to make it less of a challenge to guess what point you are trying to make (while ot'ing in someone else's thread in the first place).. you should save the images to another server where it doesn't show the source, and i can't read up more about what these are.

i do not understand a lot of art today, that much is clear, but at least there is some art that i can understand, apply some form of consistency and order. that is me, and i hold my own views. you might show me something which i cannot understand, that is supposed to be art, i will tell you that it is nonsensical to me, and that is that.

of course, you can choose this to be evidence of a close mind, and maybe you will not be wrong. but i am open-minded enough to accept your view that i am close-minded, and i can grant anyone that.

this aside, since i have made a post already, i will reply your queries:

1) yes, most of the time, what i deem as a snapshot, the person who posted it has to have placed certain value on it. since i do not see it, that value has to be restricted to that person himself, don't you think?

2) yes, of course they can. or are you saying that people cannot have similar or entirely identical experiences, where they can look at a photograph and identify?

i am so tired with this "everything can be art" nonsense. to me, those two things you have posted, they are nonsense. i am sure the artists would not disrespect my point of view, and therein lies the difference between a true artist, and the ones who claim to have snapshot art. the former appreciates the essence that art is subjective, that they have the confidence to know that they are doing what they are doing; the latter will just give you wishy-washy defensive answers that do nothing for me.

by the way, a lot of this art, some of it makes more sense when put into proper context.

cheers.
    Last edited by night86mare; 7th August 2009 at 08:45 PM.

sigh no need to get so hostile.
    clubsnap is a rather narrow minded place with all the model posing and equipment discussions dont u think? would it hurt so much as to inject some truly meaningful discussions about photography in to some threads once in a while?
    it seems that there is no true 'proper' place for such a discussion around here.

is being "clear on your views" a good thing? and can anyone truly be "clear on their views". i think id rather be uncertain if anything, after all art is always changing, cant be stuck recycling the same old ideas now can we?

by saying that youre being "open-minded enough to accept your view that i am close-minded" doesnt make you more open minded than before you typed that.... even if you dont understand some art and it's nonsensical to you.. wouldnt it be better if u made an effort to try and understand why so many others oppose your view? instead of dismissing it straight away?
    2) exactly my point, people can look at a photograph and identify which is one of the reasons why snapshots work.
    nah these 2 are pretty much stand alone masterpieces with the majority of the "art" world behind it's back. perhaps these 2 dont work for you but im sure there are other "snapshots" out there that you would definitely appreciate and much of your "street" photos borrow from that principle.
    Last edited by pyrique; 7th August 2009 at 09:14 PM.
    find me on |flickr|?

pyrique, i am more than happy to engage you in this meaningful discussion

i just think it's very rude to do it in the critique corner, on someone else's thread..

why don't you start something in kopitiam, or general/technical, i will be more than happy to participate there.

but i have berated people on leaving the picture in this case, and i do not think it is nice to not practise what one preaches. hope you get where i am coming from.

that is rather ironic dont u think... to have to start a serious discussion about photography on a photography forum in the kopitiam. alongside the likes of liverpool and would you say the pledge
    Last edited by pyrique; 7th August 2009 at 09:19 PM.
    find me on |flickr|?

that is rather ironic dont u think... to have to start a serious discussion about photography on a photography forum in the kopitiam. alongside the likes of liverpool and would you say the pledge
    or general/technical.. i believe i typed that.