Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Cutipie

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    28

    Default Cutipie



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Everything. Composition, exposure, colour, tone.

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    a)Capture the cuteness of the child and
    b)evoke an element of fun.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Indoors: in a shopping mall. Daiso, Plaza Singapura.
    A candid, spontaneous shot.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    colour seems off, but i don't know where and what.
    i think it's slightly out of focus. it seems the like the shirt is in focus and the face is slightly soft.
    maybe i should show the more of the basket.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cutipie

    if im not wrong, ur white balance is off. its a bit too warm. you could fix it with photoshop

    that black strap in the back ground is a distraction too, shld have asked the person to back out from the picture and take just the kid

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Cutipie

    I like composition. Number 2 you have achieved fully. I agree with 2 previous comments: white balance is not there which can be corrected with one click e.g. in Photoshop. Regarding guy behind, these are things must be checked before taking a shot...what do you want to be included in photo really, even it is spontaneus. Removing or hiding them in PP comes more challenging. If it is sharp or not with my screen here I cannot say...naturally it should be sharp e.g. on eyes and not on shirt.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cutipie

    it would be nice if the jeans/shorts wasnt in the way. and yes the black strap.
    also. try to get the boy's head in the picture entirely.
    other than that its pretty nice.
    |EOS40D|17-55 2.8|50 1.4 Sigma|190 XPROB|
    flickr

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Cutipie

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokomotiv View Post
    I like composition. Number 2 you have achieved fully. I agree with 2 previous comments: white balance is not there which can be corrected with one click e.g. in Photoshop. Regarding guy behind, these are things must be checked before taking a shot...what do you want to be included in photo really, even it is spontaneus. Removing or hiding them in PP comes more challenging. If it is sharp or not with my screen here I cannot say...naturally it should be sharp e.g. on eyes and not on shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by corneliustoh View Post
    it would be nice if the jeans/shorts wasnt in the way. and yes the black strap.
    also. try to get the boy's head in the picture entirely.
    other than that its pretty nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahpoke View Post
    if im not wrong, ur white balance is off. its a bit too warm. you could fix it with photoshop

    that black strap in the back ground is a distraction too, shld have asked the person to back out from the picture and take just the kid
    How can I get the right white balance? What setting should I change my WB to?

    Oh! I didn't know that the black strap could be so distracting. Noted.
    I'm a beginner and I'm wondering how do you get rid of the person behind? Do you wait till he leaves? Or do you ask him to move aside? Coz I'm worried it might come off arrogant and annoying.

    Anyway, thank you all so much. =) More critiques are needed.
    Canon 1000D
    EF-S 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6

  6. #6

    Default Re: Cutipie

    white balance can be fixxed with photoshop, if u still have the RAW u can temper with it individually, but if not, u can use auto color. these are the methods i use anyway, but there are prolly more ways to do so.

    composition wise, its dam hard to photoshop out a whole person. thus u shld prolly tell the person to excuse a bit as ur taking photo, most ppl will move, others will ignore u, the rare few will go "simi dai ji" and give u the typical act pai kia stare, but if they hit u, u'll prolly be on ur way to a nice compensation so u can prolly get a even better camera (say 5D or D3x) =P, in the end, its ok to ask ppl to move for the sake of a shot

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Cutipie

    Quote Originally Posted by ahpoke View Post
    white balance can be fixxed with photoshop, if u still have the RAW u can temper with it individually, but if not, u can use auto color. these are the methods i use anyway, but there are prolly more ways to do so.

    composition wise, its dam hard to photoshop out a whole person. thus u shld prolly tell the person to excuse a bit as ur taking photo, most ppl will move, others will ignore u, the rare few will go "simi dai ji" and give u the typical act pai kia stare, but if they hit u, u'll prolly be on ur way to a nice compensation so u can prolly get a even better camera (say 5D or D3x) =P, in the end, its ok to ask ppl to move for the sake of a shot
    HAHAHA. A 5D or D3x.
    Yea, okay. point taken.
    Canon 1000D
    EF-S 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6

  8. #8

    Default Re: Cutipie

    the eye of the little boy catch my attention first.
    Then I look around to find some distraction points like the black belt, finger behind boy, fence, head half crop.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cutipie

    The person is actually holding onto the child,(refers.. left armpit of child ).
    And the child's left arm at elbow joint seems a bit painful.

    There are many possible location to shoot a child's portrait instead of this tight and cramp spot.

    East coast park where the child enjoy riding a bicycle or building sand castle would be a good choice..natural environment, the sea, beach, sky, grass, fresh air and natural lighting.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 26th August 2009 at 01:38 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cutipie

    too tight, with too much going on here.

    skin cast is yellow!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cutipie

    A good snapshot.
    But no place as serious work.
    The out of focus knees take up too much of the photos.

    Often, foreground bokehs are not as soothing as background bokehs. I try to have more background bokehs than foreground bokehs in any one shot.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •