Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a D100!!!

Forget the AF-S 70-200mm VR!!........ Get the the older(used) AF-S 80-200mm!!!! Classic!!!

Deregistered

Well it costs nearly the same as the 70-200VR

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    AF-S 17-35/2.8
    AF-S 24-120VR
    AF-S 70-200VR
    AF-S 300/2.8
    SB800 x 3 (1 main, 2 slave)

What you waiting for?

BUY BUY BUY
    that has become your favourite phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    ok just wanna kao beh abit hahaha

recently managed to get a permanent job (at last!!) so i can start saving for a decent cam... at the moment, there u go, in the title, it wat i'm aiming for. as for the lens... well that's another problem ehhe

anyway, i'm gonna go full bull and stretch photography as far as i can as a hobby/freelance, so if u guys wanna encourage me to save more so i can get this sooner, then this is the thread for it!!!

hmm like abit bhb, asking pple to pat my back...

pls hor... dun ask me to BUY BUY BUY, i already know that!

ask me SAVE SAVE SAVE better! and hor, suggestions for lenses would be good too.

FIRST priority, i wanna (and have been) shoot weddings and portraiture.

Get a 10D ..... 1 x Tokina 28-70 Lens ..... 1 x 17-40L lens (17-40L lens is only 200 more then Tamron 17-35DI, so worth it) ....

Hehehe..... come my child ..... join the dark side .......

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Well it costs nearly the same as the 70-200VR
    erm, no it doesn't. the old AF-S can get used but mint @ $2k or less, going by market prices. the 70-200VR is still hovering new @ $3k, 2nd hand prob around $2.7k or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    erm, no it doesn't. the old AF-S can get used but mint @ $2k or less, going by market prices. the 70-200VR is still hovering new @ $3k, 2nd hand prob around $2.7k or so?

was just about to reply. thanks for doing it for me. And IMO, the 80-200 feels more solid then the 70-200.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Get a 10D ..... 1 x Tokina 28-70 Lens ..... 1 x 17-40L lens (17-40L lens is only 200 more then Tamron 17-35DI, so worth it) ....

Hehehe..... come my child ..... join the dark side .......
    blurblock Watcher

Canon Nikon

Hey, besides the camera body and lens, you also need to buy:
    1. memory card
    2. tripod
    3. flash gun
    4. camera bag
    5. filter
    (these are essential items, and they are listed in terms of importance IMO)

Deregistered

OT on
    ...this thread has an amusing Nikon vs Canon sidebar...
    OT off

Seriously, you should get yourself settled in your new job first. Wait a couple MORE months of savings before you jump into buying. Then after that, you'd probably hearing the CS "buy buy buy" chant at every camera shop you pass by...

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Hey, besides the camera body and lens, you also need to buy:
    1. memory card
    2. tripod
    3. flash gun
    4. camera bag
    5. filter
    (these are essential items, and they are listed in terms of importance IMO)
    Then you also need to save up to attend Astin's models shoots...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    Then you also need to save up to attend Astin's models shoots...
    Backup body also?

I must say I am of the BUY BUY BUY and then SELL SELL SELL club. That's why my current gear, which I paid a total of $8000 for, is probably overpaid by $1500.

I suggest you save save save... and research research research first before making any hasty decisions like I did. But then, I had fun doing it... and am still doing it.

And oh, by the way... Canon rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    I must say I am of the BUY BUY BUY and then SELL SELL SELL club. That's why my current gear, which I paid a total of $8000 for, is probably overpaid by $1500.

I suggest you save save save... and research research research first before making any hasty decisions like I did. But then, I had fun doing it... and am still doing it.

And oh, by the way... Canon rules!
    Heh, me research a lot before I buy. I don't have a sugar mommy

As for the kwanon thing, the obligatory -> Terence Watcher

eheh thanx all, very entertaining thread indeed.

yeah i do know that i have to get much more than just the body and lens(es)... one thing that came to mind too, dry cabinet! never used one b4, but i know wat it's for. just wondering in my PUNY sized room where can i fit one...

yeah i'll be saving and researching, and i'm sure u all will be chipping ur 2c (or multi million $$) worth to help out an SLR newbie like me!

oh btw.. i was just thinking on the way back on the bus, even if i use the 24-120VR at slower shutter speeds (becos it has VR) i won't, if i shoot weddings (people shots) i will not shoot below 1/60, unless it's table shots then possibly can go down to 1/30. so in a way, VR wouldn't be that useful then? (i can handhold these shutters quite ok, i think...)

btw.. to those canon aficionados, the day i haven't buy, is the day i haven't decide.. hahah but most likely i'll choose nikon, or at least a nikon mount, s2pro.

say... how much must i save if i intend to get everything second hand? (maybe body new, lenses 2nd, body can put on 0% installment since i'm working at a bank!)

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    eheh thanx all, very entertaining thread indeed.

yeah i do know that i have to get much more than just the body and lens(es)... one thing that came to mind too, dry cabinet! never used one b4, but i know wat it's for. just wondering in my PUNY sized room where can i fit one...

yeah i'll be saving and researching, and i'm sure u all will be chipping ur 2c (or multi million $$) worth to help out an SLR newbie like me!

oh btw.. i was just thinking on the way back on the bus, even if i use the 24-120VR at slower shutter speeds (becos it has VR) i won't, if i shoot weddings (people shots) i will not shoot below 1/60, unless it's table shots then possibly can go down to 1/30. so in a way, VR wouldn't be that useful then? (i can handhold these shutters quite ok, i think...)

btw.. to those canon aficionados, the day i haven't buy, is the day i haven't decide.. hahah but most likely i'll choose nikon, or at least a nikon mount, s2pro.

say... how much must i save if i intend to get everything second hand? (maybe body new, lenses 2nd, body can put on 0% installment since i'm working at a bank!)

u nikon users....
    Jio me along when u gonna buy...see if u can make me jump ship...since my EOS 300 is making me pissed recently...but I still thinking of 10D

By the way, table shots dun need to go down to 1/30 bah? Unless the room is really that dark...
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by jnifur
    u nikon users....
    Jio me along when u gonna buy...see if u can make me jump ship...since my EOS 300 is making me pissed recently...but I still thinking of 10D

By the way, table shots dun need to go down to 1/30 bah? Unless the room is really that dark...
    well depends, but 1/30 is the slowest i would go handheld for that focal length (usually quite wide, esp if the place is very cramped). another thing to take note is that for table shots i dun shoot wide open, becos i want a little bit more DOF to capture pple in front to the back, and to compensate for the curve of the table too.

and yes, some $@$#@*()%@# ballrooms are pretty dark. no matter how still need flash lar. lighting too yellow liow.

so joho .... you seriously not getting a film camera for your first decent cam huh?? :P imho, that's the best way to get started in SLRs....learn the very basics of getting things right in the first place, instead of messing around with controls like white balance, color space gamut, custom curves etc not to mention exposure settings...then later fixing stuff in PS or covering up mistakes with fancy effects. (that's not photography liao..that's more like digital artistry). uh-oh, hope i dont get flamed by the digi-fanatics here!! :P

in fact, it was your thread subject which caught my attention ... i wonder what could be so special about the D100 that you need it so desparately personally i use a D100 in the course of my work too, so im wondering if i had missed out on a special function or purpose of the D100 haha! remember, its not always about how fancy, advanced or expensive your equipement which makes a memorable picture (although it can help lah!)

again, just my very humble opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    blurblock Watcher

Canon Nikon
    watcher blurblock

watcher
    Last edited by blurblock; 24th December 2003 at 12:05 AM.

Deregistered

The 24-120VR is a great lens to hold and own (I'm sure all owners agree with me) but the FLM *does* tend to get the better of it. Thus I suggested a better choice would be the 18-35 or the 17-35(gulp!). If without FLM, the 24-120VR is a gooooooooooooood range lense.

However, you still need to readjust your mindset to SLR when you get yours... 1/30 with flash at ISO 200 isit on a DC? Push to ISO800 when u have a SLR lor! Heehee... you probably won't even use the VR. Wake up wake up

The VR is a feature good when you're running during the event and need to stop occassionally to focus fast and shoot. Otherwise, I don't think you'll need to use it. As far as I remembered, I didn't Don't forget it's also f/3.5-f/5.6, not f/1.8 anyway it's fine cos you'll be using flash.

D100 $2600, grip ?$350? 24-120VR I doubt u can find 2nd hand... unless somebody kena bird flu or jump ship. Anyway brand new is about 1K.

$4K min to kick off. Accessories like CF card(s), batteries not calculated yet.

jnifur: No need to see need to jump ship or not. Jump jump.

wow
    after so many 2cent worth or (million worth of thought that have came throught. i guess. here is another really humble advice and my side of stories..
    As for me.. i started out 'playing' with a friend's camera .. it was a Yashica fx2000 fully manual and it quite solid heavy.playing with just the shutter and aperture but i stll kinda miss those gd old days , i think .. That was about 5 years ago.. then now that her cam is jam at the shutter or the mirror...i guess. to cut the long story short , that was when i went throu the age od puberty learning in camera..
    Had really "suffered" alot of stupid mistake during those time. eg like for get to wind, after shooting ...

later i gotten my first very own .. "Nikon" it was a Fm10 .. complete with a 35-70 mm "plastic lens" .. in year 2002. when i gotten my big bonus... paid for a F80 and a 2nd ATX Tokina 28-70mm F2.8 from a friend.. but i was eyeing for his F3A Automatic focus edition camera. The only series that have a full auto focus system and titianium shutters.. damn cool

and finally now.. i am also saving for a D100 or S2pro (2nd hand).. so any sellers out the :-) S20 pro or D100.. ???

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast