Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Lenses in HK/overseas

  1. #1
    Member czcsean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedok, Singapore
    Posts
    128

    Default Lenses in HK/overseas

    Hi all,

    I just wanna ask, is it true that lenses in HK are cheaper then here,
    pls advice.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Yeap. A quick search would tell u that lenses and cameras are slightly more cheaper in places like HK, Japan and maybe the States.
    So if you are there for holiday, then its worthy to get them. If you are thinking of shipping them back, maybe the cost savings might not be as attractive anymore (especially so for states).
    My Flickr
    EOS 7D | BG-E7 | EF 85mm F1.8 | EF-S10-22 F3.5-4.5 | EF-S17-55 F2.8 | 430EXII

  3. #3
    Member DinoSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    771

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    i went states last october but couldnt find a shop selling cheaper (e.g. nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR) than in Sg..was in california state. My friend went to Japan but couldnt find any nikon dslr that sells cheaper than Sg too. perharps it will be good if you can shre with us which shop and details in particular in the country...
    Last edited by DinoSG; 12th August 2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: edit
    Nikon D610 |NIKON 16-35mm F4G | SIGMA 50mm F1.4G | NIKON 70-200mm F2.8G VRII | NIKON SB600

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by DinoSG View Post
    i went states last october but couldnt find a shop selling cheaper (e.g. nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR) than in Sg..was in california state. My friend went to Japan but couldnt find any nikon dslr that sells cheaper than Sg too. perharps it will be good if you can shre with us which shop and details in particular in the country...
    These things are listed in the consumers corner.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by DinoSG View Post
    i went states last october but couldnt find a shop selling cheaper (e.g. nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR) than in Sg..was in california state. My friend went to Japan but couldnt find any nikon dslr that sells cheaper than Sg too. perharps it will be good if you can shre with us which shop and details in particular in the country...
    Early this year, I went to B&H in NYC and bought a Canon lens. The difference is S$600 cheaper there. You have to do your own research before deciding where to buy.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    The difference varies from brand to brand and model to model.

    Some brands may be slightly cheaper in the US, but adding the cost of shipping + handling + GST... The difference may even be negligible or the local shop may even be cheaper... For other brands, it can be so much cheaper that it makes you kinda wonder whether the local supplier is profiteering from the market here...

    E.g. I bought and shipped a Tammy 70-200 f/2.8 from B&H and got it shipped from NYC to Singapore... Even with 2nd-cheapest UPS shipping (2-4 business days) and also not to mention GST... it's still a good $300 cheaper than locally available via JEL Corp... Imagine the type of savings in shipping, since I was shipping one-piece by air and these suppliers usually bring them in by the container-load by sea.. No reason why they can't offer lower RRP prices...

    What the Pentaxians went through and did during the Shiro-era is a classic example... Some of these local distributorships need to be taught a lesson or else they'll keep taking advantage of the situation and profiteer under the excuse of "small market"...
    Minolta A|Sony E|Canon EF/S|Hasselblad V

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneKoh View Post
    The difference varies from brand to brand and model to model.

    Some brands may be slightly cheaper in the US, but adding the cost of shipping + handling + GST... The difference may even be negligible or the local shop may even be cheaper... For other brands, it can be so much cheaper that it makes you kinda wonder whether the local supplier is profiteering from the market here...

    E.g. I bought and shipped a Tammy 70-200 f/2.8 from B&H and got it shipped from NYC to Singapore... Even with 2nd-cheapest UPS shipping (2-4 business days) and also not to mention GST... it's still a good $300 cheaper than locally available via JEL Corp... Imagine the type of savings in shipping, since I was shipping one-piece by air and these suppliers usually bring them in by the container-load by sea.. No reason why they can't offer lower RRP prices...

    What the Pentaxians went through and did during the Shiro-era is a classic example... Some of these local distributorships need to be taught a lesson or else they'll keep taking advantage of the situation and profiteer under the excuse of "small market"...
    I always contemplated buying from overseas and then ship them over because of the attractive lower prices. However, what is stopping me is I always don't feel safe when I am not there to physically buy and inspect it. Don't you worry whether there will be defects when the lenses ship to you? I understand that there is international warranty. But how about damages during shipping, such as mishandling on the courier part, which damages the lenses. How then to claim under the warranty then? Or how to demand compensation from the shipping since it would not be easy to determine whether the damage is due to mishandling or due to defective product?

    Are these part of your concerns?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by HLZQ4 View Post
    I always contemplated buying from overseas and then ship them over because of the attractive lower prices. However, what is stopping me is I always don't feel safe when I am not there to physically buy and inspect it. Don't you worry whether there will be defects when the lenses ship to you? I understand that there is international warranty. But how about damages during shipping, such as mishandling on the courier part, which damages the lenses. How then to claim under the warranty then? Or how to demand compensation from the shipping since it would not be easy to determine whether the damage is due to mishandling or due to defective product?

    Are these part of your concerns?

    Yes. Definitely...

    Comparatively... I'm only slightly more worried about my lenses arriving from B&H in the US via UPS Priority than buying one from OP and then having to fight my way through the Sim Lim Square weekend crowd and then squeeze on the MRT/Bus whilst holding my newly purchased lens in a plastic bag...

    When we say buying from the US, we don't mean buying from some "kuching-kurak" no-name shop or even Amazon... But the more reputable ones like B&H and Adorama actually spend some time to think when packing their mail-order shipments...

    For instance, my Tammy 70-200 only weighs about 1.5kg with box and manual, but the volumetric weight (used in shipping) came up to about 3kg... When it arrived, I found a huge box (and almost freaked out)...

    But upon opening, I realized they suspended the lens and box in a complete cocoon of air bags and packing material.. So well cushioned, U could have thrown it off the 2nd floor and the lens would still be ok... (I'm kidding... Never tried that...)

    That said, the only worry is getting a lemon in the mail... Nothing much you can do about that, except sit back, twiddle your thumbs and say your prayers...

    But I still believe the name and reputation of the online shop plays a big big big part in the quality of the lenses they sell as well... Especially B&H, since they run their own brick-&-mortar superstore in New York and many of their staff are actually photography enthusiasts and former customers as well...
    Last edited by GeneKoh; 12th August 2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Minolta A|Sony E|Canon EF/S|Hasselblad V

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneKoh View Post
    Yes. Definitely...

    Comparatively... I'm only slightly more worried about my lenses arriving from B&H in the US via UPS Priority than buying one from OP and then having to fight my way through the Sim Lim Square weekend crowd and then squeeze on the MRT/Bus with the banglas and Chinamen whilst holding my newly purchased lens in a plastic bag...
    1. Please try to avoid racial slurs on here.
    2. There's also Cathay and MS color.
    Alpha

  10. #10

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneKoh View Post
    Yes. Definitely...

    Comparatively... I'm only slightly more worried about my lenses arriving from B&H in the US via UPS Priority than buying one from OP and then having to fight my way through the Sim Lim Square weekend crowd and then squeeze on the MRT/Bus with the banglas and Chinamen whilst holding my newly purchased lens in a plastic bag...

    When we say buying from the US, we don't mean buying from some "kuching-kurak" no-name shop or even Amazon... But the more reputable ones like B&H and Adorama actually spend some time to think when packing their mail-order shipments...

    For instance, my Tammy 70-200 only weighs about 1.5kg with box and manual, but the volumetric weight (used in shipping) came up to about 3kg... When it arrived, I found a huge box (and almost freaked out)...

    But upon opening, I realized they suspended the lens and box in a complete cocoon of air bags and packing material.. So well cushioned, U could have thrown it off the 2nd floor and the lens would still be ok... (I'm kidding... Never tried that...)

    That said, the only worry is getting a lemon in the mail... Nothing much you can do about that, except sit back, twiddle your thumbs and say your prayers...

    But I still believe the name and reputation of the online shop plays a big big big part in the quality of the lenses they sell as well... Especially B&H, since they run their own brick-&-mortar superstore in New York and many of their staff are actually photography enthusiasts and former customers as well...
    you do have a point there.
    Nikon D90|AF-S 18-105MM F/3.5-5.6G|AF 50MM F/1.8D|AF-S 70-300MM VR|Tamron 90mm f/2.8

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. Please try to avoid racial slurs on here.
    2. There's also Cathay and MS color.

    1. Roger that...

    2. There's a reason why I used OP, for the grey sets... Cathay and MS, there's still the local warranty to factor into the cost...
    Minolta A|Sony E|Canon EF/S|Hasselblad V

  12. #12
    Member czcsean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedok, Singapore
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    So to everyone, y is it that u have to ship it back to SG and not bring it thru the custom?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by czcsean View Post
    So to everyone, y is it that u have to ship it back to SG and not bring it thru the custom?
    Depends if you get "lucky" or not. But if it's shipped here in the mail, and the value is above 400 SGD, it can be taxable.
    Alpha

  14. #14

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by czcsean View Post
    So to everyone, y is it that u have to ship it back to SG and not bring it thru the custom?
    U dun have to ship it back if you're going there (e.g. on holiday)... U can then carry it back... But u also run the risk of customs stopping u and asking to see the receipts to determine the value of the lens you're carrying...

    But if you're stuck in sunny little Singapore, no luck in getting an air ticket to HK or the US, and still wanna get it from overseas cuz it's considerably cheaper... U rely on online shopping... That's when u have to ship it back...
    Minolta A|Sony E|Canon EF/S|Hasselblad V

  15. #15

    Default Re: Lenses in HK/overseas


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •