Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: on unregistered warranty

  1. #1

    Default on unregistered warranty

    just sharing my thoughts on warranty matters as I frequently scout the B&S section for some lens and accessories.

    many times i have come across sellers stating that they have the unfilled warranty and still state the item still have full waranty even though they bought the item many months ago
    (which means that whoever the buyer is can register whenever they want and still get the full 12-15 months warranty)

    i think this is a misconception as most companies now look at the official recipt and base the warranty on the date of purchase instead of the date written on the warranty card or online records.

    either these sellers are trying to pull a fast one on unsuspecting buyers or they themselves are ignorant.

  2. #2

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    Ya lo. Exactly. Either some shops have ways around this, or BnS sellers are simply mistaken (or intentionally so).

    Quote Originally Posted by nedy77 View Post
    just sharing my thoughts on warranty matters as I frequently scout the B&S section for some lens and accessories.

    many times i have come across sellers stating that they have the unfilled warranty and still state the item still have full waranty even though they bought the item many months ago
    (which means that whoever the buyer is can register whenever they want and still get the full 12-15 months warranty)

    i think this is a misconception as most companies now look at the official recipt and base the warranty on the date of purchase instead of the date written on the warranty card or online records.

    either these sellers are trying to pull a fast one on unsuspecting buyers or they themselves are ignorant.
    Sean

  3. #3
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    a shop (whose name I shall not mention so that it does not get into disrepute) does this for me whenever I get equipment from them.

    they write down the receipt for me on a piece of receipt paper, and then hand it to me with the dates unfilled, so that I can fill it in to correspond with my warranty.

    I get them to do it not because I don't want any official dates on the receipt, but because I bring my equipment back and forth Australia and Singapore, and I have been stopped on some occasion with regards to carrying such expensive equipment (thinking that I'm bringing them in for sale). the normal receipts printed on thermal paper would fade after a while, especially in the summer sun of Melbourne, hence a handwritten receipt would last longer than the normal receipts.
    chicken fight!

  4. #4

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    a merchant asked me to scan a soft copy,save it in different PC/hard disks and also print a copy for keeping. Just to be safe

  5. #5
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    If the reason is fading, why omit the date?

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    a shop (whose name I shall not mention so that it does not get into disrepute) does this for me whenever I get equipment from them.

    they write down the receipt for me on a piece of receipt paper, and then hand it to me with the dates unfilled, so that I can fill it in to correspond with my warranty.

    I get them to do it not because I don't want any official dates on the receipt, but because I bring my equipment back and forth Australia and Singapore, and I have been stopped on some occasion with regards to carrying such expensive equipment (thinking that I'm bringing them in for sale). the normal receipts printed on thermal paper would fade after a while, especially in the summer sun of Melbourne, hence a handwritten receipt would last longer than the normal receipts.

  6. #6
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    If the reason is fading, why omit the date?
    no idea. they just told me they omitted it for, and I quote them loosely, warranty purposes. I kinda got it after I noticed that they didn't date my warranty cards as well.
    chicken fight!

  7. #7

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    caveat emptor!!!

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    so ten years later, you can sell a used D3 to a buyer with a unfilled warranty, show the buyer with the hand written receipt, you only bought the camera two weeks ago.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    so ten years later, you can sell a used D3 to a buyer with a unfilled warranty, show the buyer with the hand written receipt, you only bought the camera two weeks ago.
    i have this dslr for sale with unfilled warranty.



    any takers?

  10. #10

    Default Re: on unregistered warranty

    unfilled warranty is practice that might not necessary work anymore. They can check ur equipment serial no. against their database to roughly determine how old is ur camera.
    Especially if ur equipment is worn out or old model but still have 10 months warranty. They simply say that fault caused by mishandling and not covered by warranty....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •