Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on freezing water droplet.

Default Re: Question on freezing water droplet.

is Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Deregistered

hmm, i did that once in skool for a web design module. was using a canon 1000D i think. forgot what it was. I just bumped up the shutter speed to 1/500, iso was around 200 (Dont really play with it, cuz i hate noise) and used the pop up flash. I was shooting under bright sunlight and even so it looked overcast in the picture due to the Shutter speed. If your indoors i would recom you get a really bright source of light to aid your BIF (Built in flash). but yeah, to really freeze droplets of water and really fast movin stuff, youd really need shutter speeds of 500 and above. but remember with that you need tonnes of light.

~Hope that helps~

Oh and hi to everyone out there in CS, first post

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    nicely done! i think you're on the right track with the use of the flash to freeze motion.

think the softness is probably due to still too much ambient lighting "contaminating" your shot. try to get the surroundings even darker on yr next try.
    Hey, thanks for the compliment! Ya you may be right, or probably because my DOF may still be too narrow or my manual focusing skills just don't cut the edge .

Quote Originally Posted by Summerskies View Post
    hmm, i did that once in skool for a web design module. was using a canon 1000D i think. forgot what it was. I just bumped up the shutter speed to 1/500, iso was around 200 (Dont really play with it, cuz i hate noise) and used the pop up flash. I was shooting under bright sunlight and even so it looked overcast in the picture due to the Shutter speed. If your indoors i would recom you get a really bright source of light to aid your BIF (Built in flash). but yeah, to really freeze droplets of water and really fast movin stuff, youd really need shutter speeds of 500 and above. but remember with that you need tonnes of light.

~Hope that helps~

Oh and hi to everyone out there in CS, first post
    Hello and welcome to CS!!!

Thanks for your tips man. However with pop-up flash enabled the fastest shutter speed I can set would be only 1/160s. Guess I just have to make do with it or get really really bright ambient lights to increase my shutter speed faster haha

Anyway, this is another shot I took. The droplet at the top still looks soft though. But no worries, it takes patience and I'll work on it

Last edited by Linnl71; 14th August 2009 at 02:56 AM.

wow tats a nice shot ...
    www.flickr.com/kelvin_lin 5D2 24105L 50 1.4 USM 580EX2

Quote Originally Posted by Linnl71 View Post
    Thanks for your tips man. However with pop-up flash enabled the fastest shutter speed I can set would be only 1/160s. Guess I just have to make do with it or get really really bright ambient lights to increase my shutter speed faster haha
    Having your shutter speed at 1/160 would only mean that you need a darker ambient environment to work with. Flash itself has a duration shorter than 1/1000, so if the ambient light is not sufficient to expose the image at shutter speed of 1/160, then the flash light dominates, the exposure is shorter than 1/1000 according to the flash duration.

That's a very nice shot. It's clean and very sharp. Awesome .

Yep, I understand, I will kill off ambient lights and make do with 1/160 with flash. That should be able to do the trick. Except that I wouldn't be able to see what I'm doing and have to rely on precise timing and many many takes. But still, I'm sure it will be very worthwhile .

Anyway here's my share once again, still not very good as droplet still soft. Maybe something wrong with my manual focusing haha! Still working on it though .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12