Thread: CF card error anyone?

Default CF card error anyone?

Argh. Did some test and found out that there's some sort of bad sector on my CF card as the 160th to 175th photo I take has one that could not be written properly causing the camera to hang when trying to view the picture.

The funny thing is when I scan the card with norton or Windows, it reads it as normal. Formatting the card still gave rise to the same problem at the same position.

Its under warranty but I heard they'll have to send the card back and take forever, making me totally handicap since its my only card.

Anyone has such problems? Any experience with trying to fix it? Any programs to recommend?

Well at least the good thing is I know its not my camera screwing up.......

Errr ..... Yes.

During one of the photo shootout using Transcend 512MB 30x CF card, the picture was recorded and viewed from the LCD. But later when I turn-off and turn-on the camera, the last 2 pictures was lost (p/s:shoot in TIFF format). This happened only once and until now I still couldn't figure out what actually happens. The worst was these 2 pic were some of the best shots I got

Some of my friends told me could be the camera did not record the images properly. But why I can view it in the first place ????

Any comments ?

Yes sure, have seen 2 pieces of 45x 512MB Transcend goes bad in the past week.

I'm currently having problems with a 512MB Transcend CF too. Took a handful of pics last night and my wife happen to have viewed them before going to bed. Just a while ago, I tried accessing the CF and it gave me a "CF Card Error". I tried inserting the CF into my X-Drive II and it too refuses to read the CF.

Now, whenever I insert the CF into my digicam, the digicam just shows No Image

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Errr ..... Yes.

During one of the photo shootout using Transcend 512MB 30x CF card, the picture was recorded and viewed from the LCD. But later when I turn-off and turn-on the camera, the last 2 pictures was lost (p/s:shoot in TIFF format). This happened only once and until now I still couldn't figure out what actually happens. The worst was these 2 pic were some of the best shots I got

Some of my friends told me could be the camera did not record the images properly. But why I can view it in the first place ????

Any comments ?
    Could it be that you turned off the camera while it's still writing the files? Anyway, never a good idea to shoot in TIFF. Takes up a lot of space while providing no quality improvements over JPEG-FINE. If you want the absolute quality, shoot in RAW.

Regards
    CK

Default CF card error

Encountered the same card error with my Transcend 512MB 45x (bought just a month ago). Occassionally, if my camera goes into power save mode, and if I press the shutter release to on it again, the card error message will flash across. But if I power it off and power on again, the card resumes operation normally. No pictures losts so far (touch wood).

Lexar and Sandisks are probably still the best cards in the market. No problems whatsoever with those.

-WK

Well, looks like we have the same problem. I have two 512mb (45X) Transcend card. Bought it in Oct 03. Used it with my Nikon D100. Went to Australia for holiday.
    At first, for the first few days, it work fine. After that, the problems comes. When switch on the camera, it said card error, unable to read. I switch on & off the camera a few times, the CF card work again. Or sometimes, when you have already turn on the camera & when you are shootin half way, the same error message comes in again and after turn on & off the camera, the CF card work again. Thank God! All the pictures is still there and manage to download to CD. However, the other card has no problems!!!!????? I must say, the writing speed on this card is fast!
    Went to Sim Lim Sq, Memory World where I bought the CF card. Wanted to change card, no stock! Maybe going there next wk. Lucky they have a five year warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    Could it be that you turned off the camera while it's still writing the files? Anyway, never a good idea to shoot in TIFF. Takes up a lot of space while providing no quality improvements over JPEG-FINE. If you want the absolute quality, shoot in RAW.

Regards
    CK
    File writing does not get interrupted in the event that you power off while it's doing its thing. At least that's what happens for the 300D. I personally believe that the extra speed comes with a price. New technology will always have teething problems. Might be a fairly good idea to hold off buying that 100x card when it first pops into the market.