Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: UV filter VS CPL

  1. #1

    Default UV filter VS CPL

    Dear all,

    Are there any disadvantages using CPL over UV filters besides pricing and vignetting issue?

    Thanks all

  2. #2

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogr...lter#Polarizer

    UV and Polarizers are for different uses. Vignetting issues is caused by the thickness of the filter thread. To avoid vignetting get a slim version of the filter. Popular brands like HOYA and B+W carry them.
    Last edited by lordpain; 11th August 2009 at 03:46 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Dear all,

    Are there any disadvantages using CPL over UV filters besides pricing and vignetting issue?

    Thanks all
    ur question can be interperated in 2 ways...

    1st: CPL filters are not replacements for UV filters and vice versa, they are different filters and server different purposes, so answer is "NO" disavantage nor disavantage.

    2nd: using CPL over UV filters, taking to mean stacking CPL on top of UV filters is generally not encouraged as it will result in vignetting esp at wider angle and pic IQ may dropped.

  4. #4

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    you need to read up more about photography

    uv filter is usually just for protection, it isn't actually needed.

    cpl is for many other things. see lordpain's link.

  5. #5

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    ok, thanks people.

    Didnt know it will create such a huge difference. Confirm must get it over UV filters.

    So let say if I never use filter( shutter speed 1/500) and after using cpl, will it become slower shutter speed?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Member Linnl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East area
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Not a pro, but if I'm not wrong the filter wouldn't affect shutter speed.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    ok, thanks people.

    Didnt know it will create such a huge difference. Confirm must get it over UV filters.

    So let say if I never use filter( shutter speed 1/500) and after using cpl, will it become slower shutter speed?

    Thanks
    Yes, subtract ~ 2 stops of light.

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Didnt know it will create such a huge difference. Confirm must get it over UV filters.
    Didn't they all say "Don't stack"? or what do you mean with "must get over UV"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    So let say if I never use filter( shutter speed 1/500) and after using cpl, will it become slower shutter speed?
    No such generic answer. To be precise: the amount of light is reduced, hence the exposure will be -1EV or up to -2EV if not corrected by other means. Depending on the Program Mode of your camera either the aperture is opened as correction (in Shutter Priority Mode) or the shutter speed is lowered (in Aperture Priority Mode). Manual will only show the lower resulting exposure level.

  9. #9

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    Yes, subtract ~ 2 stops of light.
    2 stops... wow.

    Means if taking pics if low light available got to remove?

  10. #10

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Hi bro, what i meant was, prefer CPL to UV and not stack, sorry for the misunderstanding.

    But now must sacrifice 2 stops of light coming in.

    Is it easy to use? will ppl use it wrongly for cpl?

  11. #11

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    bro i think u are driving some us crazy with ur replies, cos it seems the more u reply the more confused u sound abt CPL and UV filters.

    i don't understand why u should "prefer" CPL to UV when they basically serve different purposes. it's like saying u prefer a fork to a spoon.

    u must first understand why u need or use a CPL filter for. so do u know what CPL does for u?

    lastly as to ur qn abt whether CPL us easy to use, answer is "YES" but do people use it wrongly? answer is also "YES"

    google and read up more.
    Last edited by tunge; 11th August 2009 at 04:53 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by tunge View Post
    bro i think u are driving some us crazy with ur replies, cos it seems the more u reply the more confused u sound abt CPL and UV filters.

    i don't understand why u should "prefer" CPL to UV when they basically serve different purposes. it's like saying u prefer a fork to a spoon.

    u must first understand why u need or use a CPL filter for. so do u know what CPL does for u?

    lastly as to ur qn abt whether CPL us easy to use, answer is "YES" but do people use it wrongly? answer is also "YES"

    google and read up more.
    Wa, haha
    Apologise if i confused... The more i read, i get even more confuse.
    I understand CPL is for landscape where beautiful blue sky and green trees are captured.
    It has its purpose to minimise reflections on glass and water.

    Tio bo?

  13. #13

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Wa, haha
    Apologise if i confused... The more i read, i get even more confuse.
    I understand CPL is for landscape where beautiful blue sky and green trees are captured.
    It has its purpose to minimise reflections on glass and water.

    Tio bo?
    haha textbook answer... u got "A"

    next for practical, which is to understand when in what situationa and lighting it'll be useful or useless/pointless. then u can decide if u need it on ur lens all the time or not. cos as mentioned, the CPL filter does add abt 2 stops usually, resulting in a need for slower shutter, higher ISO, which means more noise or shake/bluring.... from ur replies it sounds like u intend to have a CPL on ur lens all the time (doubling it as a lens protector)

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by tunge View Post
    bro i think u are driving some us crazy with ur replies, cos it seems the more u reply the more confused u sound abt CPL and UV filters.

    i don't understand why u should "prefer" CPL to UV when they basically serve different purposes. it's like saying u prefer a fork to a spoon.

    u must first understand why u need or use a CPL filter for. so do u know what CPL does for u?

    lastly as to ur qn abt whether CPL us easy to use, answer is "YES" but do people use it wrongly? answer is also "YES"

    google and read up more.
    Cool down brother, I was wonder who will answer the last question. I think he is confused. Give him a chance

  15. #15

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    Cool down brother, I was wonder who will answer the last question. I think he is confused. Give him a chance
    Well, by the way, no one is angry

    Gimme chance to learn more so next time i teach people the right way.

    So are u using CPL as well?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Well, by the way, no one is angry

    Gimme chance to learn more so next time i teach people the right way.

    So are u using CPL as well?
    yes, 52mm, 62mm, 72mm, 77mm.
    read this ..
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551705

  17. #17
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    I understand CPL is for landscape where beautiful blue sky and green trees are captured.
    It has its purpose to minimise reflections on glass and water.
    CPL is used when there is ample light to filter (blue sky) and reflections. In the absence of sun light (e.g. at night) there's nothing left to filter - so take it off. Filters are tools, use them when needed. Secondly, in case the resulting shutter speed is too low for handholding then you can a) increase ISO; or b) use a tripod.

  18. #18

    Default Re: UV filter VS CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    2 stops... wow.

    Means if taking pics if low light available got to remove?
    Why on earth would you use a CPL in low light conditions?

    Please try to read up on when to use what filter.
    Alpha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •