Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ash from Neighbour's Cigarette gets in my room.. How?

Default Ash from Neighbour's Cigarette gets in my room.. How?

Hey guys,

My neighbour who stays above me like to smoke at his window. However, he flicks his ash outside of his window.

The ash will fly into my room and deposit itself in my window grill or on the floor near the area. It's a real pain to clean the ash out of my window grill spaces and off the floor. It happens a few times a day

What should I do? Just politely go up and tell him? Call HDB/Town Council?

Thanks!

Default Re: Ash from Neighbour's Cigarette gets in my room.. How?

You should go up and tell him politely.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    You should go up and tell him politely.
    Or if you're concerned about confrontation, write him a polite letter and slot it under his door or letter box.

tell

him

first, isn't that more fair? and of course, politely.

if he doesn't respond politely, don't bother arguing, just go straight to someone else who can help you. confrontations only lead to more sourness.

Best is to go and talk to him. And ya, be polite... no need to start off yelling.

Alright, I'll

thanks!

do the same back to him and see how he response...

Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    do the same back to him and see how he response...
    u want TS to buy an apartment above his neighbour just to drop cigarette ash in his window?
    eat. drink. shoot

Shout "Aiyaa who the f*** throw ashes *more swear words* down to my window ar, if I find out, he sure die!".

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Hey guys,

My neighbour who stays above me like to smoke at his window. However, he flicks his ash outside of his window.

The ash will fly into my room and deposit itself in my window grill or on the floor near the area. It's a real pain to clean the ash out of my window grill spaces and off the floor. It happens a few times a day

What should I do? Just politely go up and tell him? Call HDB/Town Council?

Thanks!
    Let me give you a "suggestion".
    Sweep it into a plastic bag and pour it into your neighbour's window (if it's open).

Haha! He will definitely curse and swear..

I'd think you can speak to him/her politely. Tell him the problem you face due to him smoking at the window, and suggest he uses an ash tray to contain the ashes. A simple half-cut Coke can can be used too. (cost = $0)

I always get strange knocking sounds from my neighbor directly upstairs, even in the middle of the night. Spoke to them politely, and found that it was because their Jack Russel knocks things down ever so often. They did became more considerate, and now there's hardly any re-occurrence of the problem.

Currently facing this problem myself from neighbors above. I went up and politely inform about the ashes but the response was "Nobody smoking". As I am very sure it was from the unit I made a complaint subsequently to HDB and the town council.

Immediately they followed up and called me back and told me under investigation............till now already passed 3 months....yes still got ashes.

wait till I am very free, I going to install my own CCTV and catch that idiot red handed and submit to police and complaint under fire hazard.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

I know this is not gonna be a popular opinion, and maybe people will hate me for it. But to me, staying in a flat, some things cannot be helped. We just got to bear with everyone's little habits sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    I know this is not gonna be a popular opinion, and maybe people will hate me for it. But to me, staying in a flat, some things cannot be helped. We just got to bear with everyone's little habits sometimes.
    haha... ..
    a long while ago.. my neighbour on top was always making noises .. when I went up to them to try to talk nicely.. their kids was playing soccer..

this uncle came up to me and ask me "what do you want?"..den shut the door on me.. then I tried again to convey my message..and my reply i got was something to the tune of "you live in hdb wat you expect..not happy ah? go n buy landed house la"...

Finding RC didnt help.. wrote email to towncouncil cced MP did not even get an acknowledgement..probably too trivial to them.. Then I decided to just ll suck thumb..

Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    hate will be too strong a word.

disagree maybe.

I think it's okay to take such a point of view if you have nothing significant to lose from doing so. but, and this is a big hypothetical but... imagine you just became a father to a pair of twins (I'm assuming you're a male! if not, then a mother). I reckon you'd be more peeved than if you were just some random bloke who doesn't appreciate cigarette ash.

I'm saying that because that was what happened to me. or rather, to the neighbour that lived below me, who was always on the receiving end of cigarette ashes/butts from the unit above me. it normally would fall into my room, but some ash occasionally would find its way into their unit as well. my request to the neighbour above fell on deaf ears, but the neighbours below had a real legitimate beef to raise, and the neighbour above probably realised the precariousness of the situation when factoring in the new borns. he still continued smoking anyway, but I never saw ash/used cigarette butts coming my way.

he did pass away/moved out (can't remember. it was a while back) though, so maybe the issue also did resolve on its own because of that!
    chicken fight!

buy resale flat make sure you stay on top most floor and you will not have this problem anymore.

"Uncle/Ah Pei/Ah Hia, I stay downstairs"

"I was taking a nap just now, your cigarette ash fell into my eyes, painful"

Please + Thank you.

Write a note and slip it under his door?

my neighbour upstairs does that (till now). talked to him (several times) and he still continue the same behaviour.
    Called RC, they said nothing they can do but just to talk to him.

Oh well....

Guess another peaceful way is to live with it, just close your windows to prevent the ash from coming into the room. Sigh...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast