Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Ebay Auction

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Hi,

I thought VISA and Mastercard is worldwide, so it doesn't matter where you are. I have to check this with my bank then, how sure are you about the above?

Hong Sien
    Visa/MC is worldwide, but the issuing bank may not be. It all depends on the bank you are using. If you are using one of the local banks, then their clout ( and customer service in this area ) is not as great as a major American bank, which has plenty of leverage with other US companies.

I understand many large American banks will intervene on your behalf if you challenge the payment ( ie, hold or cancel the charges ), and they can do this because they have plenty of clout in the US. But it's hard to imagine DBS or OCBC trying to strongarm any US company or even US individual over this.

Quote Originally Posted by chriszzz
    Visa/MC is worldwide, but the issuing bank may not be. It all depends on the bank you are using. If you are using one of the local banks, then their clout ( and customer service in this area ) is not as great as a major American bank, which has plenty of leverage with other US companies.

I understand many large American banks will intervene on your behalf if you challenge the payment ( ie, hold or cancel the charges ), and they can do this because they have plenty of clout in the US. But it's hard to imagine DBS or OCBC trying to strongarm any US company or even US individual over this.
    Hi,

had aproblem once in Australia where this taxi driver copied my bill to him for two times the next two months, after I left the country. The bank here (Standard Chartered) immediately cancelled the payment for me after I contacted them. I think the bank will do the same for me if the item I bought from the US did not arrive (but need to find out this with StanChart). Of course if the item arrived and is not as described you have to work it out with the seller. Even eBay will not be much of a help in the latter.

Hong Sien

Hi,

had aproblem once in Australia where this taxi driver copied my bill to him for two times the next two months, after I left the country. The bank here (Standard Chartered) immediately cancelled the payment for me after I contacted them. I think the bank will do the same for me if the item I bought from the US did not arrive (but need to find out this with StanChart). Of course if the item arrived and is not as described you have to work it out with the seller. Even eBay will not be much of a help in the latter.

Hong Sien
    well, standard chartered is the 2nd largest bank to have come out of UK.

cancelling a credit card payment in ebay perhaps is really not as simple as the fraudulent activities you have listed as examples. in the scenario of stolen credit cards, a simple police report will suffice as explanation to the bank, in your taxi-scam scenario, your passport stamp is as good a proof to show the bank that those charges wasn't incurred by you. in ebay, the seller can always claim to have posted the item, and if you have not requested for postal/freight insurance, chances are it's just you word against the seller's. tough.
    Last edited by wacko; 26th December 2003 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wacko
    well, standard chartered is the 2nd largest bank to have come out of UK.

cancelling a credit card payment in ebay perhaps is really not as simple as the fraudulent activities you have listed as examples. in the scenario of stolen credit cards, a simple police report will suffice as explanation to the bank, in your taxi-scam scenario, your passport stamp is as good a proof to show the bank that those charges wasn't incurred by you. in ebay, the seller can always claim to have posted the item, and if you have not requested for postal/freight insurance, chances are it's just you word against the seller's. tough.
    I am inclined to believe this. There are situations that can be proven beyond any doubt, and you can ask the bank that has issued the credit card for immediate action on which they will be glad to help. But I can't see how the bank, ebay or even paypal can help on subjective claims that have no concrete evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao
    I am inclined to believe this. There are situations that can be proven beyond any doubt, and you can ask the bank that has issued the credit card for immediate action on which they will be glad to help. But I can't see how the bank, ebay or even paypal can help on subjective claims that have no concrete evidence.
    Hi,

NO, ebay, nor paypal will not help you! One just need to ask VISA to reverse it, they will get their money from paypal back automatically. Paypal has no other choice than to withdraw the funds back from the seller......this is why paypal is getting unpopular in the US, due to all those CC scams. VISA reverses the payment from paypal automatically and paypal can't do anything against it. There are forums at ebay regarding this..

HS

Hi,

NO, ebay, nor paypal will not help you! One just need to ask VISA to reverse it, they will get their money from paypal back automatically. Paypal has no other choice than to withdraw the funds back from the seller......this is why paypal is getting unpopular in the US, due to all those CC scams. VISA reverses the payment from paypal automatically and paypal can't do anything against it. There are forums at ebay regarding this..

HS
    the point is why would Visa even help you reverse the charge in the first place? especially without any form of evidence other than your word against the seller's?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12