Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Beware--Bad Seller

Default Re: Beware--Bad Seller

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    First off, the reason for stating a later meeting-up date in my WTS thread is because the box, etc is kept in my office, and I on extended leave over the NDP holiday. I won't be able to meet potential buyers will the full kit.

kleon initially agreed to meet on Wed. After moving dates a few times, he SMS'd he can meet me. Since he voluntarily agreed to meet on that day, I told him to drop by at AMK library. I only know he's on shift work, and didn't know that he took leave to view the lens.

It was only moments prior to his arrival that a friend called me to say he wanted the lens and FT me a deposit. So that sealed the deal. A minute later, I was at a loss when he SMS me that he had arrived at AMK. Instead of flying aeroplane, I felt responsible to tell him the truth. That definitely will piss him off, but I think it's only correct. I apologised to him repeatedly, and he furiously walked off.

And btw I brought out the 17-55 lens + camera with me. It was drizzling, and camera is prohibited in the library. So I kept the camera in my car.

kleon, I'm truthfully sorry for making you make a wasted trip. But as spoken (with a loss of words), I have only 1 lens, and won't be able to trade with you even though I go take the lens to show you.

In my dealings in CS, I always deal with integrity. No point making myself a bad seller, and inconvenient people along the way. My apologies once again for the disappointment.
    Hi Huggable, thanks for giving your side of the story.

I do applaud you for facing the buyer and telling him the truth instead of the usual lame excuses like the lens was accidentally dropped and broke etc etc etc (had received that excuse a few times before).

What we're unclear though is whether you already told kleon that it's a deal and the lens will be sold to him. Or is it the proverbial, "you come over and we see how lor"?

There's no law or iron rule in this, but just a gentlemen's agreement so it doesn't really matter if your friend or your [fill in the blank] called to say he wanted the lens. You could have just told your friend that there's already a buyer on the way to collect, and that he'd be notified immediately if the deal falls through.

Of course you have no obligation at all to answer our knotty questions. Just thought you might want to clear yourself once and for all.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gunbucker; 11th August 2009 at 10:33 PM.

Don't overdo it and bring other people's young children into the issue/rant. Have the common sense to know the limits.

from my POV, you should refund your friend the deposit and let him know that you already have another meeting with a buyer.

then again, he's your friend so you may find it difficult to reject him
    eat. drink. shoot

I've SMS'd him to view the lens between 1-3pm at AMK library. There was no reservation. As this is an used lens at S$1.5k, I'd prefer the potential buyer to test before making the commitment.

Thanks for sharing. This was my first time facing such a difficult situation. I wasn't happy too.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    from my POV, you should refund your friend the deposit and let him know that you already have another meeting with a buyer.

then again, he's your friend so you may find it difficult to reject him

I've SMS'd him to view the lens between 1-3pm at AMK library. There was no reservation. As this is an used lens at S$1.5k, I'd prefer the potential buyer to test before making the commitment.
    If this is the case, then probably a misunderstanding by him of your message. What a storm in a teacup. Big fuss over nothing.

A minute later, I was at a loss when he SMS me that he had arrived at AMK. Instead of flying aeroplane, I felt responsible to tell him the truth. That definitely will piss him off, but I think it's only correct. I apologised to him repeatedly, and he furiously walked off.

Since it's only a minute, you could just FT back to your friend, i don't think he will mind if you tell him the situation.
    Plus kleon happy and you won't be in a fix.

hah... just a thought, anyway it's over.
    Next time i buy something, will keep sms the seller "i am on the way, please don't sell to anyone"

Peace out everyone

Quote Originally Posted by willdon View Post
    Next time i buy something, will keep sms the seller "i am on the way, please don't sell to anyone"
    LOL! My thoughts exactly. Gotta say something like "Confirm ah, confirm, I'm on the way with a wad of cash!".

Although "viewing" typically implies a pending deal in any other part of the World, I guess in this microverse, we need to state, re-state, and triple-state in both English and Singlish that it's a bloody DEAL!!

I have also met with a similar situation. I agreed to buy an item from a seller. I told him I will buy at his price if the item is indeed as described in his B&S thread, and asked him to reserve it for me. He agreed, and I made an appointment to meet him at his home that evening.

After that, he SMS me to say that he has a dinner appointment and cancelled the meeting. After that, he SMS me to say that he has sold the item to his colleague. That really pissed me off. I told him off, and he replied that he sold to his friend because I was not committed. That pissed me off even more. What more commitment does he want? I already said I agreed to his price and I'm willing to travel to his house. But he said I told him I said I will buy only if I am happy after the viewing. I mean... am I expected to take the item if it is not as described?

In the TS' situation, Huggable should have given the TS priority to view and buy at his price if the meeting has already been arranged... and cannot be cancelled in time. What he did was not good. I mean... Huggable knows that what he did will make the TS feel bad. That's why he apologised. Why apologise? Just do the right thing. We all know what is right and wrong. Wrong is where we know for sure the other party will get pissed off... and it's really our fault.

It is still not too late to make things right. We all talk about this thing called integrity... but what is it really all about? I think fundamentally, we have a set of beliefs. If we do things that go against those beliefs, then we compromise our integrity. If you start doing things that you feel bad about... and need to apologise repeatly, then clearly, one's integrity should be questioned. Integrity goes beyond the law. It is about being true to ourselves.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 11th August 2009 at 11:14 PM.

It looks like a good ending.

Now that huggable has tried to reconciled, can we hear the same from the victim? Cummon, it's only a used lens.. plenty more out there.

Let us all be gentlemen about it yah. Part of the pledge: "so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress for our nation."

Hi nottipiglet,

Yes, I agree I didn't handle the situation well. I should had held up my friend and let kleon view my lens, in order not to disappoint him. In fact, I don't even know what time he'd turn up, or if he would. Some of the things that went through my mind when I met him was to treat him to coffee as an apology, but that didn't materialise of course.

Thanks to the rest for your inputs too.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I have also met with a similar situation. I agreed to buy an item from a seller. I told him I will buy at his price if the item is indeed as described in his B&S thread, and asked him to reserve it for me. He agreed, and I made an appointment to meet him at his home that evening.

After that, he SMS me to say that he has a dinner appointment and cancelled the meeting. After that, he SMS me to say that he has sold the item to his colleague. That really pissed me off. I told him off, and he replied that he sold to his friend because I was not committed. That pissed me off even more. What more commitment does he want? I already said I agreed to his price and I'm willing to travel to his house. But he said I told him I said I will buy only if I am happy after the viewing. I mean... am I expected to take the item if it is not as described?

In the TS' situation, Huggable should have given the TS priority to view and buy at his price if the meeting has already been arranged... and cannot be cancelled in time. What he did was not good. I mean... Huggable knows that what he did will make the TS feel bad. That's why he apologised. Why apologise? Just do the right thing. We all know what is right and wrong. Wrong is where we know for sure the other party will get pissed off... and it's really our fault.

As a seller, I used to bend an arm and a leg for potential buyers, even to meet up at their convenience/place. Sometimes there is overwhelming response, you hold the item. But the first respondent goes MIA. You start to contact those down the line, but they're not interested anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    LOL! My thoughts exactly. Gotta say something like "Confirm ah, confirm, I'm on the way with a wad of cash!".

Although "viewing" typically implies a pending deal in any other part of the World, I guess in this microverse, we need to state, re-state, and triple-state in both English and Singlish that it's a bloody DEAL!!

I have dealed twice with huggable before and I dun think he is that sort of person as decribed. What I see here is that huggable have handled situation wrongly which is failing to take a firm stance and inform his friend that the lens was pending sale.

But then who dun made mistakes, hope he will learn from this and this does not happen again. To TS, forgive and forget and move on, there is more than one 17-55mm in BNS, Take it as a day off instead of poundering over it.

Yup. TS should forgive and move on. Two wrongs do not make a right. You see... when I was played out a few times buy sellers, I do not splash their names all over Clubsnap.... quite simply because I do not think that being vindictive will do anyone any good. Just because people do me wrong does not mean I must do wrong to others too. We are just dealing with material goods here. No blood was loss... so there is no need to get overly worked up. A normal level of anger is ok... but just don't let it get out of hand.

If I may interject at this juncture...

A lesson for us here is to state simple terms like:

For seller:
    No reservation entertained and seller reserves the right to sell to anyone.

For Buyer:
    Charge at full speed for such rare deals! Still want to take MRT meh?

Hi nottipiglet,

Yes, I agree I didn't handle the situation well. I should had held up my friend and let kleon view my lens, in order not to disappoint him. In fact, I don't even know what time he'd turn up, or if he would. Some of the things that went through my mind when I met him was to treat him to coffee as an apology, but that didn't materialise of course.

Thanks to the rest for your inputs too.
    Yes, you should held up your friend, but i guess your friend is more impt than just any buyer.

A simple call or sms would suffice to check with TS whether he is coming to meet and what time he will reach.

Willing to meet up is already a sign of intention to deal, but to reach the meeting point only to be informed that you are mins too late is simply crap. No wonder TS is furious. Especially after he took leave just to meet you at your convenience.

True that there are many 17-55mm for sale but your selling price maybe just the right price he can afford.

So i guess its a lesson learnt for all.

First off, the reason for stating a later meeting-up date in my WTS thread is because the box, etc is kept in my office, and I on extended leave over the NDP holiday. I won't be able to meet potential buyers will the full kit.

kleon initially agreed to meet on Wed. After moving dates a few times, he SMS'd he can meet me. Since he voluntarily agreed to meet on that day, I told him to drop by at AMK library. I only know he's on shift work, and didn't know that he took leave to view the lens.

It was only moments prior to his arrival that a friend called me to say he wanted the lens and FT me a deposit. So that sealed the deal. A minute later, I was at a loss when he SMS me that he had arrived at AMK. Instead of flying aeroplane, I felt responsible to tell him the truth. That definitely will piss him off, but I think it's only correct. I apologised to him repeatedly, and he furiously walked off.

And btw I brought out the 17-55 lens + camera with me. It was drizzling, and camera is prohibited in the library. So I kept the camera in my car.

kleon, I'm truthfully sorry for making you make a wasted trip. But as spoken (with a loss of words), I have only 1 lens, and won't be able to trade with you even though I go take the lens to show you.

In my dealings in CS, I always deal with integrity. No point making myself a bad seller, and inconvenient people along the way. My apologies once again for the disappointment.

hi huggable,

thx for sharing your side of the story. still can't help wondering about the timing of the whole incident though.

According to TS, meetup time was 2pm in AMK and you told him that someone FT'ed you in the morning (i.e. before 12 noon).

According to you, your fren FT'ed you the deposit minutes before TS arrived in AMK, meaning 1.57pm or thereabouts?

Still confused....

anyway, hope all misunderstandings are cleared up.

cheers,
    z.

Based on the sms that we had exchanged:
    09/08/09 2035hrs Huggable - Hi can you meet tomorrow between 1 - 3pm in amk?
    09/08/09 2036hrs Huggable - Sorry forgot to mention this is for the 17-55 lens. I'm alex
    09/08/09 2041hrs Kleon - Hi alex, i'm working tmr ya. Can we meet on tue noon?
    09/08/09 2044hrs Kleon - Sorry sorry. Tue i also cannot. I on duty. Wed can? i off. Anytime also can.
    09/08/09 2046hrs Huggable - Yeah, wed is good. How about lunchtime at amk area?
    09/08/09 2048hrs Kleon - can can. no prob. we confirm. if i can make it tmr i let ya know asap. I see if i can arrange something
    09/08/09 2049hrs Huggable - i'll bring out the lens but no box etc. You're welcome to view the lens if you can.
    09/08/09 2050hrs Kleon - ok
    09/08/09 2224hrs Kleon - Bro. i can make it tmr anytime. you can?
    09/08/09 2339hrs Huggable - Tomorrow 2pm at amk library?
    09/08/09 2339hrs Kleon - ok cya
    09/08/09 2040hrs Huggable - see you
    10/08/09 1347hrs Kleon - I'm at amk library liao. Let me know when u reach
    10/08/09 1349hrs Huggable - hi, can i meet you at the main entrance? I'm coming out now
    10/08/09 1351hrs Kleon - ok. On my way. I'm wearing a green tee.

Huggable, at the point where i met you, you are asking me whether i am the one transferred the money as you are confused. So you are implying that you dun even know which friend of yours had transferred the money to you.

If you are a responsible person, you should not accept another offer after you had arranged a meetup with me based on the sms that we had exchanged. And you told me that you had received the fund transfer in the morning BUT now you roti prata your words and making everyone confused by making this statement "It was only moments prior to his arrival that a friend called me to say he wanted the lens and FT me a deposit. So that sealed the deal. A minute later, I was at a loss when he SMS me that he had arrived at AMK."

Like i said, i do want to dwell on this issue anymore. It is a lesson learnt for me that i will CONFIRM, CONFIRM and CONFIRM with any seller before meeting. Anyway for you as a seller.
    Last edited by kleon; 12th August 2009 at 12:09 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

Moving on is never a negative thing? I think you may want to reconsider that absolute statement in light of those who were misled into buying minibonds.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    "Moving on" is never a negative thing. Cos no point crying over spilled milk. The past is already past, just learn form it and be wiser in the future.

Hence it is better to prepare and crave one's future - that is why "move on", rather than to be stagnant and keep ranting and moaning about what is already been done.
    Last edited by vince123123; 12th August 2009 at 12:14 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast