Thread: Panasonic LX3 or olympus PEN?

Default Panasonic LX3 or olympus PEN?

Hi, im deciding for a friend between a LX3 and PEN, which is the better point and shoots. Which is the better one? Taking in consideration cost and portability ect..?

Default Re: Panasonic LX3 or olympus PEN?

Both are very difference type of camera.....

Panasonic LX3 is a Point & Shoot camera (PnS) while Olympus PEN (E-P1) is a DSLR like camera that you could change lens.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Yep, but the pen does not have a viewfinder... so its still sorta a "point and shoot"

Quote Originally Posted by hisbabyf View Post
    Hi, im deciding for a friend between a LX3 and PEN, which is the better point and shoots. Which is the better one? Taking in consideration cost and portability ect..?
    better point and shoot: LX3
    cost: LX3
    Portability: LX3

i am only comparing what u have stated and nothing else.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Haha, thanks

I had both. LX3 is smaller and cheaper and better focusing at lower light.

E-P1 is bigger heavier and more expensive but sexier and has more flexibility. It also has better image quality of course SLR level quality but has problems focusing quickly especially when in low light.

Some things to consider is if there will be an LX4 soon and if Olympus will send out a new firmware update to improve the speed of autofocus. Both are realistic possibilities that might happen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hisbabyf View Post
    Yep, but the pen does not have a viewfinder... so its still sorta a "point and shoot"
    Not the same......

Since you could change the Lens on the E-P1 to suit photo taking and you can't do so with the LX3. And not forgetting that you have to factor in the cost of Lens & accessory like a Flash (E-P1 doesn't have built-in flash).

Since most new DSLR have 'LiveView'...... and no longer do a photographer need to use the viewfinder.... do you think new DSLR & PnS are the same ?? Not having a viewfinder doen't make the E-P1 any less a DSLR 'like' camera (can change lens, larger sensor... etc)

Scuba & Father... For Life

How about wait for Panasonic GirlFriend-1?
    It's a bit smaller than pen and m4/3 too

Depends on how much you are you willing to spend, how heavy and bulky you are comfortable to carry. Both has its pros and cons

You can check the discussion and photos sample in Pana and Olympus sub-forum

better point and shoot: depends
    cost: depends
    Portability: depends

true story: everyone has their own preferences and how far they can tolerate.

your friend needs to decide themselves.

i think Olympus PEN more comparable to Panasonic G-1 or GH-1... played with G-1 and i kinda like it... it's hella light and i bet i won't have shoulder ache after a week long shooting...

wanted to try Olympus Pen EP-1 as well... but too bad the shop only got no display set... only got brand new one for sale...

If you have a lot of old lenses to play with, EP-1 wins.

Else, LX3 wins.

I have the same dilemma too! But I'm leaning towards the LX3 I think, just can't justify investing in another camera system which starts at double the price of the LX3. The LX3 would complement my current dslr nicely, since I can bring it along when it's too cumbersome to bring the dslr, it's great for street photography, and LX3 is wider than my normal walkabout lens. My feel is that, if you're willing to really invest in 4/3, than go for it.

Wonder if there's going to be a LX4 though. But it's possible Panasonic might just put more effort into developing the GF1, its successors and accompanying lens.