Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: microfiber cloths doing more harm than good

Default Re: microfiber cloths doing more harm than good

Quote Originally Posted by rokieto View Post
    you need to wash away the oil & dirt accumulated on the cloth, i wash them in the washing machine.
    I prefer not to reuse because while the oil and dirt are washed away, there are chances of detergents or other particles might be introduced into the cloth because I think my family's washing machine actually intake variety of chemicals, detergents, whiteners, softeners, bleach, etc. Be careful if you also wash jeans, pants and socks in the same machine, especially if you go around beaches or sand, coz very very fine silica can be trapped in the fabric and scratch lens. Very paranoid I am.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Very paranoid I am.
    Indeed But like many people who love their cars as much as you love your lens coating you could give it a hand wash ... the microfiber, not the camera

regarding lenspens, any of you had similar experiences of the residual carbon dust being not too easy to remove? i've tried using a blower on them, but they don't really budge. using the lenspen brush turned out to be a pretty poor idea too cos you generally use it to sweep dirt off grimy lenses, so i ended up creating a new oil smudge.

What kind of cloth or fabric are you using that need a tub of washing machine to do the job. Bathing towel or blanket

Quote Originally Posted by rokieto View Post
    you need to wash away the oil & dirt accumulated on the cloth, i wash them in the washing machine.

I use micro-fiber for my lens and camera bodies only. Got them from Popular/CD rama - $3-4 type. For lens surface, use only the PEC-PAD. $15 for 100 sheets. Use IPA from Guardian to clean off stains. Blow away major dust/grit particles then wipe with a IPA-moistened (very slightly) PEC-PAD tissue. For major grease (which appear as swirls) on your filter, apply a generous amout of IPA on the tissue and wipe all over then use a second sheet to dry up the IPA droplets - should make it as good as new. Never re-use the tissue. They get contaminated with particles easily. Better forsake that few cents than risk scratching your lens/filter.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Use a good quality microfiber(MF) cloth. Problem is, there's so many that claim to be genuine MF cloth..

To be safe, use 3M branded ones. Personally, I'm using a 3M Detailing cloth cos I'd bought a few pieces when it was on sale at Autobacs. Intended to use on my car (I'm a detailing nut..), but found it works great on my lens and filter.

As was mentioned, the MF has to be cleaned, but I'd suggest handwashing in a mild detergent (I use the ones made for cleaning baby clothes). A brush would help in dislodging any dirt.

Last advice, and i think its an obvious one... keep your MF cloth in a ziploc bag or something! You cam bag/drawer has all manners of dirt that will happily cling onto the MF and scratch your lens so keep it somewhere clean.

Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    Have a look at chamois cleaning cloth.
    Chiif has some here, http://www.chiifcameras.com/site2/in...d=62&Itemid=60

You can get them at some spectacle shops too.
    Yes Chamois is much better than micro fibre cloth. Purchased it when I was in Japan, it even claim to be able to obsorb oil stains.
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    Yes Chamois is much better than micro fibre cloth. Purchased it when I was in Japan, it even claim to be able to obsorb oil stains.
    Yes, I use Chamois. Good stuff. I think its absorbent so it'll clean well even without lens cleaning fluid.
    Here's a link to a NY Times article. http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/22/st...es-camera.html
    Last edited by K3N; 12th August 2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: added link

wash the new cloth before use.

I use the $2 3M cloth. Works like a charm. Of course, it helps that my lenses have a very good coating that even protects from salt spray! (Do you hear me, Merlion????)
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    Yes, I use Chamois. Good stuff. I think its absorbent so it'll clean well even without lens cleaning fluid.
    Here's a link to a NY Times article. http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/22/st...es-camera.html
    Wow, you've linked a 20 years old article from NY Times.

Not trying to say lens Chamois is no good but today's microfiber cloth is as good if not better than lens Chamois IMO.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Blog Entries

"the cheap $3 brown colored microfiber cloth sold at cathay, and the yellow Selvyt cloth sold at ...."

there's your problem .....

.....and make sure your microfiber cloth is always clean......flick it vigorously after each use and wash it every now and then ......... you dont want to unintentionally drag a trapped tiny sand speck across your lens

+1 for the Lenspen,
    +1 for the 3M Microfibre cloth.

So far lenspen + blower solves the problem when I do thorough cleaning.
    For a quick wipe, the 3M cloth does it for me.
    Try not to compromise on quality stuff, especially after spending so much on your lenses. =)

Microfibre cloth should be changed every now and then. Mine's pretty much due for a change...
    Last edited by genegoh; 12th August 2009 at 04:48 PM.

any recommended brand for blower, lenspen etc? theres so many to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Fudou View Post
    any recommended brand for blower, lenspen etc? theres so many to choose from.
    Lenspen brand is "Lenspen" the original.

Blower any brand also can, or get the rocket ones that can stand upright.

Blower with brush is the type I don't like.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12