Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Query on telephoto lens

  1. #1

    Default Query on telephoto lens

    Hi, I am a newbie in DSLR. Recently purchased a canon DSLR and a canon fixed 50mm lens. When I try to shoot the street (the street will consist of below me using the 50mm lens f1.8 at night @ ISO 1600, I will get shutter speed of 1s. I am just wondering if I buy a tamron 200-500mm and aim at the street (so that the street will fill more of the frame), will I get a faster shutter speed? But I quite worried that the tamron @ its max zoom is f6.3.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    Hi, I am a newbie in DSLR. Recently purchased a canon DSLR and a canon fixed 50mm lens. When I try to shoot the street (the street will consist of below me using the 50mm lens f1.8 at night @ ISO 1600, I will get shutter speed of 1s. I am just wondering if I buy a tamron 200-500mm and aim at the street (so that the street will fill more of the frame), will I get a faster shutter speed? But I quite worried that the tamron @ its max zoom is f6.3.

    if u just wanna fill the frame, why dont you crop?

    Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

  3. #3
    Member watsup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    347

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    maybe you should try changing to spot metering and target the area you want to shoot? Not sure if that will help though.. the experts here may have more ideas

  4. #4

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    if u just wanna fill the frame, why dont you crop?

    Regards
    Yes, can crop but cropping still give me such a slow shutter speed. My question is if I buy a tamron 200-500mm (which will fill more of the street in the frame), will I have a higher shutter speed since the street is lighted whereas when I use a 50mm lens, the camera is taking in consideration the dark sky+a little of the street (which explain the low shutter speed). Hope is not too confusing sorry for my english.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    Yes, can crop but cropping still give me such a slow shutter speed. My question is if I buy a tamron 200-500mm (which will fill more of the street in the frame), will I have a higher shutter speed since the street is lighted whereas when I use a 50mm lens, the camera is taking in consideration the dark sky+a little of the street (which explain the low shutter speed). Hope is not too confusing sorry for my english.
    if u are using aperture mode, controlling your aperture while letting the camera select the shutter speed and u got 1s while the actual interest in that frame is litted quite well. then you should change your metering mode.

    i suspect u are using metric metering thus the brightness of the entire frame is taken into consideration, but since u interested in only the street, use spot metering on the street. you should get a faster shutter speed
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

  6. #6

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    try switching to spot metering.. and i dont think a tighter lens helps, a faster f1.2 lens might do you good tho!

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    if you are using f1.8, 1sec and getting a correct exposure, how to get a faster shutter with a smaller aperture still able to get a correct exposure?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    With a 50mm lens, you can still get the exposure right for which-ever area you want by using exposure compensation (i.e. EV +/-)

    The only thing you can't do is to zoom in close with your standard lens.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    Seems like you want
    1)a long lens with large aperture + your current camera
    2) a long lens with not as large an aperture + a camera with good noise control at very high ISO

    I think both will not come cheap.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Seems like you want
    1)a long lens with large aperture + your current camera
    2) a long lens with not as large an aperture + a camera with good noise control at very high ISO

    I think both will not come cheap.
    Definitely won't.

    However, if at the moment you have no budget,

    You can try a tripod first to compensate your slow lens or body with poor noise control.
    Pentax K-x

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Query on telephoto lens

    Dear TS,

    This is why some of us spend so much for tripods. For exactly the situation you are facing. All you need now is a tripod and a remote shutter controller (be it wired or wireless).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •