Thread: Colour Contrast

Question Colour Contrast

Hi all...

The story goes like this...I was experimenting with a roll of kodak supra 400 the other day. I took 2 identical shots using different f-stops. It turned out that the colour of the sky in one print was much deeper than the other...so can anyone educate me on what exactly happened? Thanks in advance.

if everything else stays the same, then the one with numerically bigger f stop => smaller aperture used => less light comes thru the lens => less light hits the film plane => pic looks darker/sky looks deeper coloured. should be like that i suppose

Quote Originally Posted by jordan2101
    Hi all...

The story goes like this...I was experimenting with a roll of kodak supra 400 the other day. I took 2 identical shots using different f-stops. It turned out that the colour of the sky in one print was much deeper than the other...so can anyone educate me on what exactly happened? Thanks in advance.
    As you've not posted if the camera was in manual or an automatic mode it's impossible to give an accurate answer.

However the first thing I'd look at is the sensitometry information regarding the prints. It's located on the back of the print and is a series of NNNN's printed along with some other information. If the numbers are identical eg: NNN+2 or N+1+2N for example then the problem is related to the exposure on film. If the numbers vary (NNNN component) then the print processor has varied the density and or colour correction of the print which will result in different darkness and so on.

Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by jordan2101
    Hi all...

What kind of metering did you use? Spot? Center-weighted? or Matrix?
    Did you meter exactly at the same spot?