Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

  1. #21

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    worst thing is, i didn't hear anything about it in the news. did anyone?
    news has got tired of it already, they have treated it as a norm. else it would be all over news and the newspaper too

    where is the PTC??? sleeping???

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    not long ago there is similar incident in AMK stn, same same, the station control never do much to the crowd, escalator keep going up.

    yes, i am strongly agree with one of the reply here. LTA should imposed a great penalty on the SMRT rather than getting easy money to catch people eating....wat a rubbish......i still see a big group of channel new asia reporter and 2 SMRT attendant prowl thru the train to catch people yesterday afternoon....

    but actually talk about this fine issue, even though if LTA imposed fine on SMRT and LTA is happy bcos they got xtra cash, but wat happen to commuters??? left and right by bosses when reach office......

  3. #23

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I have a friend cum ex college who insisted to take bus than MRT, he said at least the bus
    have seats for him during the ride home.
    undeniably, seating is available on bus. however, some route is best taken by train. it takes off at least half the journey duration at the expense of seating comfort or luxury..

    anybody tried emailing them? i've tried but they don't even bother cos there are millions of commuters, jus imagine 1% of us email to them... their mailbox will burst..

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    undeniably, seating is available on bus. however, some route is best taken by train. it takes off at least half the journey duration at the expense of seating comfort or luxury..

    anybody tried emailing them? i've tried but they don't even bother cos there are millions of commuters, jus imagine 1% of us email to them... their mailbox will burst..
    There are feedback forms at some or all stations near the controlstations.......the last I checked was last year though....

    I remember there was something that day in Clementi....trains were slower and stopped several times inside the tunnel

    Anyway, if SMRT got fined, so what? Fine is paid to LTA, its from left to right pocket

    HS

  5. #25

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    There are feedback forms at some or all stations near the controlstations.......the last I checked was last year though....

    I remember there was something that day in Clementi....trains were slower and stopped several times inside the tunnel

    Anyway, if SMRT got fined, so what? Fine is paid to LTA, its from left to right pocket

    HS
    Honestly, SMRT will not give a hoot to complains even if there were in the wrong. I once called them up as they were in violation of LTA guideline for operating the carriage. The lady over the phone told me off "its up to (me) how i want to complain." She was really rude on the phone while i maintained my calmness. In the end, never even heard a reply from them after i wrote in as directed by the lady.

    You see, they dont really bother. They have bigger issues in their head. These are, probably to them, just a minor hick up. Just like an SBS breakdown. To SBS, just another breakdown, no big deal.

    Now, what matters more will be what hurts their pocket. Imagine if the staff bonus were to be measured by KPI wrt to train breakdowns, death, suicide, etc etc. I can almost guarantee they will do their utmost to ensure a fine system.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    next time i have to work in an area where i can take bus to...i go to work in mrt but on my way home, i prefer to take bus instead.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Heng I dun take public transp to work.. squeeze sardines man

  8. #28
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    and scenes like these are common, every day occurrences at some stations in Melbourne.

    at least you people get to wait for trains that come within 10 minutes at most.

    I wish I had such a luxury.
    chicken fight!

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    and scenes like these are common, every day occurrences at some stations in Melbourne.

    at least you people get to wait for trains that come within 10 minutes at most.

    I wish I had such a luxury.
    The above situation was an exception, when we are accustomed to fast service, we still want it faster! People are never satisfied!!!!

  10. #30

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Maybe true but the target audience may be different. The amount from SMRT would most probably gone to the shareholders (and I think we all know who the biggest shareholder is..haha). The amount given to LTA *may* be used for the bigger good of the whole Singapore (eg build/improve infrastructure which benefits the society at large)

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    There are feedback forms at some or all stations near the controlstations.......the last I checked was last year though....

    Anyway, if SMRT got fined, so what? Fine is paid to LTA, its from left to right pocket

    HS

  11. #31

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    The above situation was an exception, when we are accustomed to fast service, we still want it faster! People are never satisfied!!!!
    Problem with the system here is that the transport companies just raise fares saying it's for "improvements", and the PTC says OK, and then this is the "improvement" we actually get?!?!

  12. #32
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    Problem with the system here is that the transport companies just raise fares saying it's for "improvements", and the PTC says OK, and then this is the "improvement" we actually get?!?!
    trains that work. REGARDLESS of the weather (Melbourne trains break down every day. in summer, a lot of lines are cancelled because the heat expands the tracks, making them unsafe to travel on.)

    trains that come on time. sort of (Melbourne trains, while they stick to a time table, do not have an interval of every 5 minutes. if they decide to come in 2 minutes early, you may be stuck at the station for the next 45 minutes).

    trains that are new, that do not smell of pee, that have no visible graffiti on the external surfaces, and seats that do not have holes in them (self explanatory).


    have you tried taking a train at 44 degrees where the air conditioner is coughing out, like a church mice, cold air to you in spasms? not fun at all.


    seriously, Singapore has it good when compared to other countries and their public transport.
    chicken fight!

  13. #33

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    could it be transportation is cheap over at Melbourne, most could afford their own private transport, hence not much emphasize on public transportation. it is a totally different ball games in Singapore where most rely on public transportation to work and fro. hence, it's directly related to productivity and quality of life. how is the commuters figure like over in Melbourne?

  14. #34
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    could it be transportation is cheap over at Melbourne, most could afford their own private transport, hence not much emphasize on public transportation. it is a totally different ball games in Singapore where most rely on public transportation to work and fro. hence, it's directly related to productivity and quality of life. how is the commuters figure like over in Melbourne?
    urh. that's where you are wrong.

    public transport is freaking expensive in Melbourne because not enough people make use of it (to recoup any loses from the initial investment, or the upgrading of lines). why not? because it doesn't reach out to all suburbs. hence people who live in suburbs that do not have trains/trams, or have to wait for 2 hours before a bus comes their way... would rather drive. case in point.... where I used to stay, it would have taken me 1 and a half hours to get from where I stayed, to the city. it was 30km in distance only, but because of all the waiting times, that was how long it took. driving the same distance would have taken only 30 minutes AT MOST. this included all the traffic lights that went against me, plus looking for parking at an exorbitantly expensive Wilson Parking lot.

    so like I said, Singapore's public transport system, though not perfect, is HEAPS in front of a lot of countries.




    PLUS. don't even get me started on the transport safety of Melbourne (ie, you're more likely to get bashed up/harassed by drunkards than you are in Singapore).

    again, Singapore public transport > a lot of countries.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 9th August 2009 at 10:41 AM.
    chicken fight!

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    Problem with the system here is that the transport companies just raise fares saying it's for "improvements", and the PTC says OK, and then this is the "improvement" we actually get?!?!
    I agree there are improvements to be made, but I wanted to make the point related to the Melbourne problem that we already have it good compared to other countries, so unless you have not been to other countries you will see that Singapore is not bad at all.........

    Actually, a very good system is in HK, if you see how many buses ply there, and the trains are so efficient, my thumbs up for HK! I think we must look at them as a standard......

    HS
    Last edited by hongsien; 9th August 2009 at 10:41 PM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    It is true that Singaporeans are blessed with a complicated and efficient transport system.

    Guess we should not complain so much. Compared to our neighboring countries, we can go point to point with a well knitted system on bus and mrt and proper walk paths.

    I remember when i was in canada, i had to take a bus to school. the intervals are every 2hrs. the ride is 1hour at least to school. The bus had to weave through many estates, up and down the hill, wait for handicap people to load and unload, go at 25km/hr. When it snowed, it travelled even slower.

    After i bought car, it took me 5min to reach my destination. And true, it has to do with weak demands. most people going by bus are retirees. they have 18hrs a day to do little things while they wait for pension pmt for sustenance. The slow bus rides made them feel good to enjoy life better.

    In Singapore, a 10min wait is like eternity. LOL

    Well, the only longest wait will be AA service when a car breaks down. Sometimes, the wait is 3hrs after midnight. Now thats what i called a long wait. LOL

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    urh. that's where you are wrong.

    public transport is freaking expensive in Melbourne because not enough people make use of it (to recoup any loses from the initial investment, or the upgrading of lines). why not? because it doesn't reach out to all suburbs. hence people who live in suburbs that do not have trains/trams, or have to wait for 2 hours before a bus comes their way... would rather drive. case in point.... where I used to stay, it would have taken me 1 and a half hours to get from where I stayed, to the city. it was 30km in distance only, but because of all the waiting times, that was how long it took. driving the same distance would have taken only 30 minutes AT MOST. this included all the traffic lights that went against me, plus looking for parking at an exorbitantly expensive Wilson Parking lot.

    so like I said, Singapore's public transport system, though not perfect, is HEAPS in front of a lot of countries.

    PLUS. don't even get me started on the transport safety of Melbourne (ie, you're more likely to get bashed up/harassed by drunkards than you are in Singapore).

    again, Singapore public transport > a lot of countries.
    Bro, that's what he was saying... I think he was referring to cars being cheap (he said transportation, not public transport) and so the little demand for public transport makes them not well developed.

    Comparing Aus transport to Sg transport is not fair and it is like comparing apples to orange.
    No doubt, our public transport is better than many other countries, BUT our complaining is justified because
    1) They keep increasing fares (like 3x per year!) claiming that it is for improvements but we do not see it... so they are just extorting us... do we have a right to complain?
    2) Majority of the people here do not have an option NOT to use public transport because the same people that owns the public transport makes it waaay too expensive to own and drive a car... so unless you are rich, you are forced to take public tranport.

    I have lived in Aus for over 3 years and I now live here, so I know the exact situation in both sides and can make a fair comparison.
    In Aus, cars are dirt cheap... even many students drive. You can get a car for less than $1k! I can tell you that if cars here were the same as that of Aus, 90% of the people on that platform would have already reached their workplace in their cars! And there would not be a crowd. Also in Aus, they have park and ride for peak hours. If you want to avoid the traffic and taxes of going to the city during peak hours, there are bus stops where you can park and hop on a bus, frequency ~10-15 mins. This is a good system for reducing peak hour traffic while making it convenient for the commuter, rather than just imposing more road taxes through ERP, etc... what they do here.

    If you want to make a comparison, you should compare us to countries where cars and road taxes are around as high as Singapore... places like Japan, HK, etc...
    Look at their public transport system... puts us to shame, I tell you!!!
    Last edited by WuffRuff; 10th August 2009 at 02:32 AM.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Think SG needs to introduce another train company.
    More competition = better service for commuters.
    SMRT is basically monopolizing the service... they just have $ in their minds now.

  19. #39
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Bro, that's what he was saying... I think he was referring to cars being cheap (he said transportation, not public transport) and so the little demand for public transport makes them not well developed.

    Comparing Aus transport to Sg transport is not fair and it is like comparing apples to orange.
    No doubt, our public transport is better than many other countries, BUT our complaining is justified because
    1) They keep increasing fares (like 3x per year!) claiming that it is for improvements but we do not see it... so they are just extorting us... do we have a right to complain?
    2) Majority of the people here do not have an option NOT to use public transport because the same people that owns the public transport makes it waaay too expensive to own and drive a car... so unless you are rich, you are forced to take public tranport.

    I have lived in Aus for over 3 years and I now live here, so I know the exact situation in both sides and can make a fair comparison.
    In Aus, cars are dirt cheap... even many students drive. You can get a car for less than $1k! I can tell you that if cars here were the same as that of Aus, 90% of the people on that platform would have already reached their workplace in their cars! And there would not be a crowd. Also in Aus, they have park and ride for peak hours. If you want to avoid the traffic and taxes of going to the city during peak hours, there are bus stops where you can park and hop on a bus, frequency ~10-15 mins. This is a good system for reducing peak hour traffic while making it convenient for the commuter, rather than just imposing more road taxes through ERP, etc... what they do here.

    If you want to make a comparison, you should compare us to countries where cars and road taxes are around as high as Singapore... places like Japan, HK, etc...
    Look at their public transport system... puts us to shame, I tell you!!!
    urhm.

    1) what makes you so sure that many people in Australia can afford cars? just because the cost of cars are cheap, does not instantly equate to the ability to own a car. cars may be more readily accessible to people, but it again does not instantly equate to ownership of the cars. a recent study done had shown that people are not being able to afford cars that easily any more, owing to the rising cost of petrol and overhead expenses as a result of the worsening financial crisis. granted that study was done and released last year, but it's still applicable to today's society. the study also showed an increase consumption of public transport services such as trains and trams, and also bicycle sales were increased by a 4 figure percentile.

    2) what makes you so sure that the fares (in Melbourne at least) have not been increased? in Singapore, price increases are done by a small but not so marginal amount each time. over here, it's a smack-in-your-face-thank-you-very-much increase, and this makes people just that little (I use the word little here lightly) pissed off, especially in lieu of it being in shambles at certain times of the year. just the other day, a whole train line was closed down because of some track faults, and they had to shuttle people back and forth all the stations on that line via buses because of that.

    3) I don't know where you were in Australia, but coming from where I am now... the park and ride scheme only applies if
    1. you take a train, and park at the parking areas provided for by the train stations. some of the parking allowances are pitiful, like the one next to my house. only 10 park and ride spots at most.
    2. if you arrive at the train station first thing in the morning at 5.30am. even though your train may only be coming at 6.30am. but because you want to do them park and ride schemes, that's what you're going to have to do because Joe Bloggs is going to have the same idea as you too.


    4) again, I don't know where you were at... but the bulk of people who work within the city and the inner city suburbs do not drive simply because they get raped (yes. RAPED) with parking charges. hence the take the train, knowing full well that they are going to get raped (yes. RAPED) by Connex (the train company) when it comes to schedule cancellations, or faulty trains, or a combination of the two. but they figured that it's much cheaper to rely on Connex, even with all its shenanigans, than it is to pay up to $1000 a month for parking (especially if they need to shuttle amongst parking complexes for purposes of work).

    5) the proliferation of car ownership in Australia (or Melbourne for that matter) does not hide the fact that the public transport system is in shambles. it is a fair comparison to compare Singapore and Australia, owing to the emphasis both governments place on public transport consumption, and owing to the steady dissatisfaction being shown by the public towards public transport elements in both countries (or at least both cities being compared).

    6) at least with the price increase in Singapore, you folks get rolling stocks that are kept nice and clean. and in proper working function. over here? my mates tell me they still see rolling stocks from the late 70s/early 80s BEING USED still. especially at summer months. when a/c is a necessity, but never an installed option in those stocks. and oh, did I mention that they use them in their UN-RETROFITTED glory (unlike the older rolling stocks in Singapore, which have been converted to look slightly more modern and appealing).

    7) I have no experience with countries such as Hong Kong and Japan, but I'm sure if I did, the points highlighted against the Singapore system would be a lot worse, and that will really be a comparison of different leagues, maybe even planets.



    at the end of the day, my point remains. Singapore as a developed nation has it good, when you compare public transport that is, against other developed nations. sure, some developed nations would probably trounce on them (like Switzerland, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong) just to name a few.... but in the grand scheme of things, at least you guys do not have to wait for 2 hours when you miss your scheduled bus or train. and that you do not have to take a half hour hike or 1 hour bus ride to your nearest train station, since the Singapore government has seen it fit to add so many train stations within a square mile radius of each major housing estate.

    my stand still stands. Singapore's transport system > a lot of peoples, and for that the citizens should be a bit thankful for.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 10th August 2009 at 09:46 AM.
    chicken fight!

  20. #40

    Default Re: Jurong East MRT Station, 820am, Aug 6 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

    Now you know why Photography is NOT allowed in the Singapore stations
    always the Light, .... always.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •