View Poll Results: Would You Say The Pledge?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    33 37.08%
  • No.

    22 24.72%
  • Maybe.

    18 20.22%
  • I don't care.

    16 17.98%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Would You Say The Pledge

  1. #21

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Agreed... im sure those who have heard those m'sia cup final roars in hdb blocks...would have tingles running down their spines and the feel good europhia. Good show of how united we really are in love for our country.
    Just like to share this para by someone from new paper..
    dun think there's any pt linking it as newpaper links expires pretty soon..

    "BEFORE the English Premier League, there was the Malaysia Cup.

    For 90 minutes every week, Singaporeans of all ages, races and religions would forget their differences and come together for the nation-building exercise of yelling unprintable things at the referee."

    I look around then and I always thought that's what "Regardless of race language religion or bank account" mean..

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I have an issue with one line in the pledge that makes me feel it is kinda hypocritical:
    "To build a democratic society"

    I have never seen democracy here nor seen our leaders endeavour to fulfil this in any way.
    The rest of the lines, yes, we have been working towards the other issues.
    perhaps that's the reason why you will never see a non-chinese become a pm...

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    My friend sent me this modified pledge. Kinda funny.

    The Pledge:

    We the passengers of MRT, poise ourselves as 1 united "kiasu". Regardless of pregnant women, elderly & little children, to "chiong" in when the doors open, so as to achieve seats, sleep & rest, and progress for our nation.


    Kinda funny, but at the same embrassing as well, to see Singaporeans behave like such in public that almost everyone can anticipate our moves. It's time we changed a little. Be more humane.


    GMAN

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    perhaps that's the reason why you will never see a non-chinese become a pm...
    This may not be true, because we've had non-chinese presidents.
    We've only had 3 PMs so far so the sample size is too small to make a conclusion like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    My friend sent me this modified pledge. Kinda funny.

    The Pledge:

    We the passengers of MRT, poise ourselves as 1 united "kiasu". Regardless of pregnant women, elderly & little children, to "chiong" in when the doors open, so as to achieve seats, sleep & rest, and progress for our nation.
    Should edit last line...
    "and progress for our journey."
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    This may not be true, because we've had non-chinese presidents.
    We've only had 3 PMs so far so the sample size is too small to make a conclusion like this.

    but somehow there is one former pm who managed to out-live quite a few of the former presidents already...seems like the role of the pm > president.
    in other sense, the president is more like a designation.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 10th August 2009 at 01:41 PM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I have an issue with one line in the pledge that makes me feel it is kinda hypocritical:
    "To build a democratic society"

    I have never seen democracy here nor seen our leaders endeavour to fulfil this in any way.
    The rest of the lines, yes, we have been working towards the other issues.

    Anyway, it is too awkward to stand up and say the pledge in my living room in front of the TV (or anywhere for that matter).
    But as I watched the people say the pledge on TV, I am with them in spirit... it is still my country's pledge, no matter what.
    Well, it wasn't written by the government, endorsed only :-)

    HS

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    but somehow there is one former pm who managed to out-live quite a few of the former presidents already...seems like the role of the pm > president.
    in other sense, the president is more like a designation.
    Yup, this is true...
    But still, the weight of the roles are not far apart, which is why I made a comparison.
    In any case, there is no basis to assume that our PMs will always be Chinese.
    Just going by probability, Sg is abt 70% Chinese, so there is 70% chance that any role here would be held by a Chinese.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Well, it wasn't written by the government, endorsed only :-)

    HS
    That's good enough... endorsing something means you approve of it.
    If you approve of a pledge by endorsing it as a government, it means that you will live by it.
    And if you say something as a vow (a pledge is a form of vow too), it means that you are proclaiming that you will live/do as it says.
    E.g. you did not write your wedding vows, but when you say it, it means you are making a promise to live/do to your spouse as it says.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    That's good enough... endorsing something means you approve of it.
    If you approve of a pledge by endorsing it as a government, it means that you will live by it.
    And if you say something as a vow (a pledge is a form of vow too), it means that you are proclaiming that you will live/do as it says.
    E.g. you did not write your wedding vows, but when you say it, it means you are making a promise to live/do to your spouse as it says.
    The writer had lofty ideals........

  10. #30

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    said it in the end with my fellow photographers at the esplanade
    D60 | 35 f/1.8 | Primes only :)
    Founder of Revographers

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpartner View Post
    said it in the end with my fellow photographers at the esplanade
    Wahhh... U guys should stand in one row in front of Merlion and say pledge and take a photo.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I have an issue with one line in the pledge that makes me feel it is kinda hypocritical:
    "To build a democratic society"

    I have never seen democracy here nor seen our leaders endeavour to fulfil this in any way.
    The rest of the lines, yes, we have been working towards the other issues.

    Anyway, it is too awkward to stand up and say the pledge in my living room in front of the TV (or anywhere for that matter).
    But as I watched the people say the pledge on TV, I am with them in spirit... it is still my country's pledge, no matter what.
    Anyway, some countries in the 60's and some even now, are still not ready for 'democracy', as this will spell chaos. Cause some people don't understand democracy, they think it means freedom, that one can do whatever one wishes with disregard of people around them (see Indonesia after downfall of Suharto). I was born in Indonesia (but migrated to Europe when I was 7), and what I see there now happening, is just ridiculous. Most people there have a disregard of the rule of law, they are not afraid of the police or army anymore. They just park their cars anywhere on the road........the corruption now is so much more than under Suharto (then it was very much confined to a group).

    For countries like Indonesia, China, India, one need a strong leader to push things through, to bring the country into a certain direction. Singapore was in this state in the 60's when the *** came into power, if not for *** having a strong vision then, Singapore wouldn't be where it is now.

    But nothing is perfect, even LKY is not perfect, there is room for improvements all the time, but you can't please everyone...........certainly not WuffRuff

    I think Singapore now is having a hard time finding someone as strong minded and more importantly having a clear and farsight view as LKY had

    HS

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    *** = ***

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Most of us have said it countless times as students.
    So what is the big deal of purposely letting other people see us say it in public?
    What is the point?

    Compare two persons
    One Mr. A who has served NS, and countless ICTs, IPPTs, BCTCs etc....

    Another Mr. B "foreign talent" citizen who has never served NS and never will...

    B makes a big show of saying pledge in public.

    A does not.

    Draw your own conclusion.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 11th August 2009 at 12:12 AM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    National Pledge:

    ENGLISH

    We, the citizens of Singapore
    pledge ourselves as one united people,
    regardless of race, language or religion,
    to build a democratic society,
    based on justice and equality,
    so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
    progress for our nation.


    MALAY

    Kami, warganegara Singapura,
    sebagai rakyat yang bersatu padu,
    tidak kira apa bangsa, bahasa, atau ugama,
    berikrar untuk membina suatu masyarakat yang demokratik,
    berdasarkan kepada keadilan dan persamaan
    untuk mencapai kebahagiaan,
    kemakmuran dan kemajuan bagi negara kami.


    CHINESE

    我们是新加坡公民,
    誓愿不分种族、言语、宗教,
    团结一致,
    建设公正平等
    的民主社会,
    并为实现国家之幸福、繁荣与进步,
    共同努力。


    TAMIL

    சிங்கப்பூர் குடிமக்களாகிய நாம் இனம்,மொழி,மதம்
    ஆகிய வேற்றுமைகளை மறந்து ஒன்றுபட்டு,நம் நாடு
    மகிழ்ச்சி,வளம்,முன்னேற்றம் ஆகியவற்றை அடையும்
    வண்ணம் சமத்துவத்தையும்,நீதியையும்
    அடிப்படையாக கொண்ட ஜனாயக
    சமுதாயத்தை உருவாக்குவதற்கு
    உறுதி மேற்கொள்வோ!


    I said the pledge at 8.22pm on 9 Aug !!!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    no I wouldn't, namely coz I'm two hours ahead of everything, and also because...

    I don't care and even if I did care, I can't be bothered.
    Are you from Singapore?

    If you are, you have directly or indirectly contributed to the nation building of Singapore!

    Are you aware of that?
    Last edited by Yappy; 11th August 2009 at 01:25 PM.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Actually it's a no, if i was busy doing something. Imo, I don't need to wayang to show my love for my country, unless i was really idle and the pledge was played within earshot.

    True colours can only be seen under adversity, then we can see who runs, and who stays and fight.
    Well said!

    U have the right to do so as long as you are loyal to Singapore!

  18. #38

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    The pledge is a oath, a promise, a deal. It symbolizes the unison of varied races, melted and then re-woven into a colorful fabric called Singapore. The end result is to allow the country to prosper and to have a shelter on every man's head.

    Perhaps we should not take it lightly and instead continue in our pursuit to guard the peace that nearly took half a century to set in place.

    We may not have a perfect country or perfect system, but we have in place an island called home.


    Dont take thing for granted!

    All of us have actually contributed to the building our nation wearing different hats!

    Agreed?

  19. #39
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Are you from Singapore?

    If you are, you have directly or indirectly contributed to the nation building of Singapore!

    Are you aware of that?
    and what does reciting the pledge have anything to do with my contribution to Singapore?

    it's like marriage vows. just because I recite the vows in front of the priest and my future missus, that does not instantly mean that I am imbued with the forces of nature and the cosmos into making sure that I do what I vowed to do. ultimately, it is merely for ceremonial purposes, because at the end of the day, it's my actions that determine whether I live by those vows.

    same for the pledge. just because I did not recite them at 8.22pm, it does not symbolise anything more/less than what I have done for the nation.

    which is why I said in my previous post. what is more important is the education of the morals and ethics of being a citizen, rather than just telling people to do something just for the sake of doing it.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 11th August 2009 at 08:19 PM.
    chicken fight!

  20. #40

    Default Re: Would You Say The Pledge

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    and what does reciting the pledge have anything to do with my contribution to Singapore?

    it's like marriage vows. just because I recite the vows in front of the priest and my future missus, that does not instantly mean that I am imbued with the forces of nature and the cosmos into making sure that I do what I vowed to do. ultimately, it is merely for ceremonial purposes, because at the end of the day, it's my actions that determine whether I live by those vows.

    same for the pledge. just because I did not recite them at 8.22pm, it does not symbolise anything more/less than what I have done for the nation.

    which is why I said in my previous post. what is more important is the education of the morals and ethics of being a citizen, rather than just telling people to do something just for the sake of doing it.
    I agreed with you wholeheartedly.

    A Chinese saying.. People of different character eat the same type of rice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •