Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matilda's house @ punggol

Default Matilda's house @ punggol

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

- Feedback about the light
    - PP tips if needed
    - Composition

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to convey a sense of mystery. Like some guy is creeping towards the house because he got lost (think Texas chainsaw massacre)

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    Under overcast skies.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I thought it was okay at first but now I think the photo might be cluttered? Should I have taken from another angle e.g. without the tree blocking the house?

Much thanks for your critique.

Default Re: Matilda's house @ punggol

I reckon this shot would benefit a lot from some cropping and lightening/increased contrast. For example, I'd personally crop it tighter so that the very blurry blade of grass isn't visible in the foreground. I just find it a little distracting

just my two cents, your focus is totally wrong. Your subject title is matlida house but the focus is the lalangs. No offense, you should blur out the lalangs and focus on the house instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brukmann View Post
    I reckon this shot would benefit a lot from some cropping and lightening/increased contrast. For example, I'd personally crop it tighter so that the very blurry blade of grass isn't visible in the foreground. I just find it a little distracting
    You mean like this? I made very minor adjustments to the contrast because I'm not that good with photoshop yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    just my two cents, your focus is totally wrong. Your subject title is matlida house but the focus is the lalangs. No offense, you should blur out the lalangs and focus on the house instead.
    The effect I wanted to give was someone creeping towards Matilda's house. Hence the focus on the grass.

Thanks for your comment anyway as it gives me a new perspective to try next time when I'm there again.

nthing much you can do in PS.

the focus of interest does not match ur title.
    even with the current pic, it does not say much of the hse being the one in punggol.
    it can be any hse with lalang in front.

with ur creeping idea in mind, the hse should still be in focus.
    when u creep, the grass is oof not the hse.

in general, get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by tribal.snake View Post
    nthing much you can do in PS.

the focus of interest does not match ur title.
    even with the current pic, it does not say much of the hse being the one in punggol.
    it can be any hse with lalang in front.

with ur creeping idea in mind, the hse should still be in focus.
    when u creep, the grass is oof not the hse.

in general, get closer.
    I realized I had a shot with the house in focus. But somehow I preferred the first shot on that day.

To me it's just a normal snap shot. Could have been done way better... Try playing with angles more and depth. Framing isnt that good... My thoughts on it
    Tools of the Trade: My eyes, paper pens and frames

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzybluelights View Post
    To me it's just a normal snap shot. Could have been done way better... Try playing with angles more and depth. Framing isnt that good... My thoughts on it
    Depth as in?

Hi there,

Would like to offer some thoughts on the pic.

First let me say that it's a great thing you had a purpose and an idea in mind when shooting matilda's house. This is important as it gives direction, focus and meaning to your work. Too many photographers today shoot so many things but don't quite know why they shoot it.

But I have to agree with other comments that the lighting is not good for this kinda photo. It's not exciting... i think better to have more directional lighting, such as during sunset? And also i think there's a blue colour cast on the pic. Not sure if it's my monitor, but i feel the pic is too blueish and could benefit from a warming filter in photoshop.

keep working at it. remember that all great photographers were once beginners too
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ianhyk View Post
    Hi there,

Would like to offer some thoughts on the pic.

First let me say that it's a great thing you had a purpose and an idea in mind when shooting matilda's house. This is important as it gives direction, focus and meaning to your work. Too many photographers today shoot so many things but don't quite know why they shoot it.

But I have to agree with other comments that the lighting is not good for this kinda photo. It's not exciting... i think better to have more directional lighting, such as during sunset? And also i think there's a blue colour cast on the pic. Not sure if it's my monitor, but i feel the pic is too blueish and could benefit from a warming filter in photoshop.

keep working at it. remember that all great photographers were once beginners too
    Thanks! I was actually trying this tutorial out: http://digital-photography-school.co...focused-photos

Just so happens that the background was messy so decided to try the tutorial.

Is your monitor calibrated? Mine isn't that's why I dare not touch the warming filters yet.

No my monitor isn't haha but i hope my colours aren't too off.

btw, regarding the choice of leaves in foreground or matilda's house in focus, i think there's no right or wrong, and it mostly depends on you as a photographer and your artistic decision. but in this case if foreground were to be in focus, then the leaves need to be less messy and distracting
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

Try looking for an angel @ which your subject isn't block by to many distracting objects on a foreground. Worst case scenario, be creative, that distracting objects can be the frame of your subject.
    Talk more useless, talk less useless. Let your photos do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by ianhyk View Post
    No my monitor isn't haha but i hope my colours aren't too off.

btw, regarding the choice of leaves in foreground or matilda's house in focus, i think there's no right or wrong, and it mostly depends on you as a photographer and your artistic decision. but in this case if foreground were to be in focus, then the leaves need to be less messy and distracting
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply80Chup View Post
    Try looking for an angel @ which your subject isn't block by to many distracting objects on a foreground. Worst case scenario, be creative, that distracting objects can be the frame of your subject.
    Thanks! Will try to look for different angles & camp for sunset next time. I hope the mini pond that I encountered that day isn't permanent.

My VA912b has slight yellowish tones.

Hi. The colour is definitely cold (blueish). I am viewing on a calibrated panel.

My 2 cents is that if the house is the subject matter, then it should be in focus. If it is the grass, then the grass should be in focus. The eye naturally draws to the object that is in focus.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom3 View Post
    Hi. The colour is definitely cold (blueish). I am viewing on a calibrated panel.

My 2 cents is that if the house is the subject matter, then it should be in focus. If it is the grass, then the grass should be in focus. The eye naturally draws to the object that is in focus.
    Thanks for your feedback. Looks like I really need to buy the spyder pro next month.

Quote Originally Posted by gibberi3h View Post
    1.in what area is critique to be sought?

- Feedback about the light
    - PP tips if needed
    - Composition

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to convey a sense of mystery. Like some guy is creeping towards the house because he got lost (think Texas chainsaw massacre)

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    Under overcast skies.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I thought it was okay at first but now I think the photo might be cluttered? Should I have taken from another angle e.g. without the tree blocking the house?

Much thanks for your critique.
    Feedback about the light: You have not done the best you could with the light. The image is definitely a little underexposed, and pushing the exposure would do well to bring a bit more life to the image.

PP tips: I don't think that's what you need at the moment. Read on.

Composition: This is where you need help. Right now, I totally cannot share your concept for someone sneaking up on a house. To me, this is a poor shot where the subject is the house (or at least, your title says so) but I see the grass in focus and I'm like "wha?"

The arrangement of the in-focus grass is also haphazard, not that it matters much, because I don't think it makes a good intended subject of focus anyway. I feel that to achieve your concept, it not necessarily means the grass needs to be the thing in focus. Think about it and see if you can visualise if you were in deep enough and dense enough long grass, such that you can focus on the house and still get a foreground of grass.

In short, this image doesn't quite cut it for me. You started with an idea, but be honest with yourself - the final product didn't quite convey it.

what is your subject in the photo?
    Matilda house?

where is Matilda house in the photo?
    out of focus?
    hide behind a tree?

can viewers know Matilda is your subject by looking at your photo without reading the title?
    yes? no?

without a clear subject or theme, no matter how much effort you spend on post production on the photo will not improve or help. Just like you reading a 500 pages hardcover novel with very beautiful cover, printed on high quality paper, but after finish reading the book, you don't know what the author is try to tell, what would you feel?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Feedback about the light: You have not done the best you could with the light. The image is definitely a little underexposed, and pushing the exposure would do well to bring a bit more life to the image.

PP tips: I don't think that's what you need at the moment. Read on.

Composition: This is where you need help. Right now, I totally cannot share your concept for someone sneaking up on a house. To me, this is a poor shot where the subject is the house (or at least, your title says so) but I see the grass in focus and I'm like "wha?"

The arrangement of the in-focus grass is also haphazard, not that it matters much, because I don't think it makes a good intended subject of focus anyway. I feel that to achieve your concept, it not necessarily means the grass needs to be the thing in focus. Think about it and see if you can visualise if you were in deep enough and dense enough long grass, such that you can focus on the house and still get a foreground of grass.

In short, this image doesn't quite cut it for me. You started with an idea, but be honest with yourself - the final product didn't quite convey it.
    Much thanks for your feedback. The grass was actually quite sparse. Not sure if other side had much better angles because of the big mud puddle in the middle.

Nevertheless, I'll try the idea again.

hi=)n erm.can i OT here abit?how did u get to this place?either by own or public transport is fine..haha..

Quote Originally Posted by starocker View Post
    hi=)n erm.can i OT here abit?how did u get to this place?either by own or public transport is fine..haha..
    Google gives you the answer. There's MRT just in walking distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast