Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Lenses for NDP lighting situation?

Default Re: What Lenses for NDP lighting situation?

for the parade segment, lighting is great due to the floodlights so i think should be no problem using Av mode.

can try to get the ceremonial guns on the floating barge

for the show part, you'll probably be too far from the stage to get any decent shots, esp if you try to use the 18-250 at the f5.6 end. so better to sit back and watch the show. exposure and white balance will also be a big problem so shoot raw if you can. these were shot from right down at the promenade press stand area with 50-135 @ f2.8, just to give an idea abt the focal length needed.

for fireworks, if you have a UWA you should be fine anywhere, but if 18mm is your widest lens then you should get out of your seat and walk to the top left (green zone) of the gallery, there should be plenty of space to set up your tripod. (better start walking at abt 8.05pm to play safe)

for the part before the pledge taking it's smaller and faster fireworks so you'll definitely need a tripod to capture the light streaks. this photo shot from the green zone. as u can see, the fireworks here are fired from stage and stage left, so compose accordingly.

the part after during the national anthem, it's those shimmering "rain tree" type so you can definitely go handheld. this photo shot from the blue zone. here, the fireworks are fired from an off-shore floating barge on stage right, so compose accordingly

hope this helps to give you a better idea of what to expect this weekend, although i really suggest that you enjoy the show and worry less about taking photos. winning NDP tickets is like striking 4D!
    Last edited by darrrrrrrrrr; 5th August 2009 at 02:20 PM.

[QUOTE=darrrrrrrrrr;5327652]i've seen some members of the audience with 300/2.8 L lens on tripod at the aisle seats over the last couple of weeks, so i guess it can be done.. here's a photo of a guy that was preparing for the fireworks, remote and all.

Winner! behind ppl no need to see liao..
    PENTAX l OldKMan

airconvent, my advice is to:

1) go flickr, search for ndp photos from singapore in past years

2) look for the photos you think you like, and then check the exif if available, if not, see if it's mentioned anywhere what lens was used

3) that will give you a rough idea what you want to shoot, what to expect, what lens you might want to bring.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think likely when the show starts I will be busy watcing instead of taking. and night86mare certainly has a unique tip here..

btw darrrrrrrrrr, those close up scenes look like someone sitting in the front row with a long zoom lens!

btw, these were some of mine from a past NDP...

This one is a rough gauge of what the zoom can do. Looks like the 600mm would have been more useful...
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Some pictures I took yesterday, JPG direct from camera. Link tested after logging out of Facebook acoount.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=8589fb349c
    Last edited by CY_OH; 11th August 2009 at 02:31 AM.
    Pentax K-5 K10D ME FA35 50f1.4 DA12-24 DA17-70, Tamron 70-200, Polar 85f1.4, Sigma 17-70
    My Flickr

i think you need a facebook account to view the album..

my fav 199 photos over the last few weeks

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&id=748241137

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12