Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any small, light DSLR to recommend?

Default Re: Any small, light DSLR to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by gibberi3h View Post
    That's what I initially thought too.

I wanted to rent a m4/3 system DSLR to see how chiam is the 2x crop factor but I don't think rental shops even offer m4/3 system nowadays? :P
    Again, let me stress this: FOV crop does not matter in a system that has no legacy lenses.

considererd the olympus E-620?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/
    The Few...The PROUD...

dont forget the pentax K-m or the new K-7 though the K7 might be a little out of your budget

May I suggest Canon EOS 450D body? Don't get the kit lens. Get EF-S 17-85mm IS USM. Or get EF 28-135mm IS USM. Unless you really want video, ( I don't recommend), then get 500D.

For telephoto, unless you are willing to get 70-200 L, just try to get an IS telephoto lens.

Oh by the way, no photography area, the only way is tiny PnS, anything more than that, they wouldn't allow you. Had a real sianz in vienna when they totally ban my SLR and only PnS were tiny enough. Still the guards are real alert and if you ever tried with even a PnS, you are out of the mueseum.

17-85 should be ok for your macro unless you want a macro lens itself. Portraits with bokeh should get 50mm F1.4.

All these should come up to about 2k plus. Plus you might want a flash and other accessories so think before you leap. A pns is definitely more hassle-free. And the LX3 is one of the most cool camera with leica lens! haha ... wish i got it too. Sometimes i regret going into SLR but using my friend's pns, i do miss the ease of SLR in controlling shutter, aperture etc, so for me it's a path of no return haha ...

good luck =)

PS: I'm just a newbie too.

If you want small, light and unobtrusive, you should stay with your Lumix LX3.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    If you want small, light and unobtrusive, you should stay with your Lumix LX3.
    exactly. thats what i wanted to say. and the pictures from ur dslr would be about the same as what u can get with the LX3, with the penalty that a dslr brings. keep ur money, get a better compact like the leica Dlux4

Blog Entries

Thanks for the quick reply guys! Seems like I do have more choices than the EP-1.
    The soon-to-be released Panasonic Lumix GF-1 is another choice. You have to wait a lil. One thing, it is sort of inaccurate to call the G1, EP1, or GF1 DSLRs, since there are no reflex going on. They are digital cameras with interchangable lenses. Some people also refer G1 and EP1 to Digital rangefinder-type cameras.

That's what I thought too. But I think for Sony DSLR line, my lens are even more limited? Heard from my acquaintance that I'll be stuck with Carl Zeiss lens?!
    You are not stuckl with Carl Zeiss. The beauty of the Sony Alpha is that it was a re-branded Konica-Minolta. So a lot of old Minolta lenses are out there for you to use.

I just need AF for the 2 lens that I want: Telephoto & prime kit.
    By the way, no camera package offer a prime lens as part of a kit. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here, prime lens is one with a fixed focal length (like 50mm), and kit lenses are usually short zooms from 28mm to 80-150mm. (35mm equivalent).

Thanks, now it's a matter of testing them. I don't need fancy lens that why I'm willing to try the 4/3 system.
    Thing is, once you start shooting a lot, your needs will change. These lens are not fancy, they just fulfill a certain need, aperture size, focal length, sharpness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LM6er View Post
    exactly. thats what i wanted to say. and the pictures from ur dslr would be about the same as what u can get with the LX3, with the penalty that a dslr brings. keep ur money, get a better compact like the leica Dlux4
    I am sure Leica D-lux 4 is way better than the LX3, seeing that the D-Lux 4 is just a rebranded LX3.

http://gizmodo.com/5316483/panasonic...he-same-camera

I suggest you try the E-620 too..

I don't get why people say small and DSLR should not be in the same sentence.. Who says a DSLR cannot be small?

The LX3 and the E-P1 are 2 different cameras. One has a DSLR sized sensor while the other a typical-compact sensor. One has the ability to interchange lenses, the other doesn't. If you don't feel good without a VF and flash, try the E-620..

You'll get a full range of lenses and accessories with the E-620. The m4/3 system is still in the process of maturing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation. Thee way my acquaintance warned me about the x2 crop factor, it was as if my range was really going to be limited!

I hear that pentax's lens are also limited? :P
    For the sake of the pun, Pentax Limited lenses are the niftiest primes you can get. Google for Pentax DA40, DA21 and DA 70.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

I am a newbie too. LX3 was in my list of preference when I wanted a small camera which gives me Manual function. I ended up with a second-hand D40 and am happy with it.

If I were you, having a LX3 and wanting to add another camera, I would go for a DSLR instead of a M4/3 for more flexibility.

If my pocket is deep, I will like to own either a LX3 or M4/3, plus a DSLR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12