Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I met '刘谦'(老千) in Bali

Default Re: I met '刘谦'(老千) in Bali

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, when i went to bali last year i also kena that

best part is the guy very win, just happily take out one zero from the total amount due to me.. if i blur block, go off with less than 10% of what i should be getting, imagine that.

in the end, i just got my money back (made sure i counted it too), and walked off.
    This is really fiece....
    Quote Originally Posted by guanlim View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but since they offered a better rates than legitimate "PT" money changer, so long as you have lots of patience and count the money over and over again, you would get a better deal?
    They'll never deal with u..they're out to cheat..come to think of it..they're really fast, don't know when they do it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Yeah he did get short-changed, by at least 500,000 rupiah.
    He changed a couple of hundred USD (from his previous business trips) to rupiah, so that worked out to several million rupiah. Easy to 'lose' a few hundred K in the process... Even in 50,000 notes, that's a hell of a thick stack.

Just wondering: is 50,000 the largest denomination they have in Indonesia? They should have something around the equivalent of S$30, say about 200,000 rupiah.
    Yes. I've got 100,000 notes..
    Canon 7D|50mm f1.4|100mm f2.8|10-22mm f3.5-4.5|17-55mm f2.8|70-200mm f4L|580EXII|Raynox 250DRC

Blog Entries

My advise like the other bros above....... dont be 'ngiao' and try to get a few more bucks at these shady unlicensed outfits

In Indonesia, they ALWAYS hang their money changing licence near front or at prominent spot in the shop big big for everyone to see..... those can use.... and a tip.... USD gets better Rupiah than most other currencies

In China, DO NOT USE roadside money changer....... they are better magicians than David Copperfield...... using Cirrus or other similar cash withdrawal facilities via ATM is usually at OK rate (MUCH BETTER than foreign cash for local RMB over the bank counter)

I

From my understanding, they literally do a magic trick in front of you. My friend experienced it. She said that they will count the money in front of you. Then as they place it on the counter, they will sweep back, such that they fall behind the counter. So, if you care to count, you will get fewer notes. My friend wasn't so lucky. They refused to return the money to her, saying that they already counted in front of her, and the amount was right. It was her problem if the money disappeared in her hands.

So, don't be so silly to think that you will get a good deal if you bothered to count many times. They can refuse to return you the money. Or if they are nice, they will just return you your SGD. So, you can never get a good deal. If you call the police, they will just give the police 'coffee money' and they will all smile at you together.

I had experienced the money changing stunt in Bali before. I changed $200 SGD in exchange for 1.459million rupiah. As mentioned by some already, they gave me in stacks of 20,000rupiahs and counted the money in front of me. After they are done with the counting, they asked me for a change of 1,000rupiah. It was during that moment when your eyes are away from the desk that they start to collate the money and push some into their drawers. As i had changed twice in the shop before and did not faced any short change, i left the shop without counting. Luckily for myself, i found the short change minutes after i went to a nearby travel agency to book for a diving trip. They kept 400,000rupiah. I was advised by the kind attendant in the dive shop to take photos of them and report them. I went back to the shop and started taking photos and thereafter, i 'request' (no point shouting as i have the evidence) for the additional money they have kept. After some discussion, they returned me my money and we left in peace.

I hope my story is able to warn those who may want to change currency with the many money changers along kuta beach and some advices that you can take if you are conned. However, its better to avoid changing money there. I was lucky to be home safely
    Last edited by red98; 17th August 2009 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by red98 View Post
    I had experienced the money changing stunt in Bali before. I changed $200 SGD in exchange for 1.459million rupiah. As mentioned by some already, they gave me in stacks of 20,000rupiahs and counted the money in front of me. After they are done with the counting, they asked me for a change of 1,000rupiah. It was during that moment when your eyes are away from the desk that they start to collate the money and push some into their drawers. As i had changed twice in the shop before and did not faced any short change, i left the shop without counting. Luckily for myself, i found the short change minutes after i went to a nearby travel agency to book for a diving trip. They kept 400,000rupiah. I was advised by the kind attendant in the dive shop to take photos of them and report them. I went back to the shop and started taking photos and thereafter, i 'request' (no point shouting as i have the evidence) for the additional money they have kept. After some discussion, they returned me my money and we left in peace.

I hope my story is able to warn those who may want to change currency with the many money changers along kuta beach and some advices that you can take if you are conned. However, its better to avoid changing money there. I was lucky to be home safely

What you did is extremely dangerous. You are in a third world country and you were lucky that your camera did not get smashed or you did not get beaten up. I rather play it on the safe side and accept the losses. Take for example in Msia, if you get stopped for "speeding , no seatbelt", whats the point of arguing ? Just pay up the 50 RM and drive off.

P.S. Use Common Sense. Be alert at all time. Be suspicious of all things.

Seriously, one should change enough money before leaving SG. Unless one works/live in CBD area, then locating a money changer can be challenging. So the best thing to do is to change money AFTER the passport control of Changi Airport. The rates are OK; not the best but generally OK. Think about it...unless you have a few thousand dollars to change, the difference in exchange rates is not going to be major - probably a plate of chix rice or two.

If no choice but to change overseas, look for proper and prominently displayed shops. Best is to change at the overseas airport after clearing customs.

As last resort, change at the hotel counter...I know, rates may be exhorbitant, but hey what the heck for convenience and safety. The last time I changed money at a 5-star hotel in Bali, and the rates don't differ too much...and it's service with a smile!

Generally, be careful with cash (and other valuables) overseas. Stuff your socks too with some spare cash just in case you pockets get picked!!!
    Last edited by LifeInMacro; 17th August 2009 at 02:01 PM.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by red98 View Post
    I was advised by the kind attendant in the dive shop to take photos of them and report them. I went back to the shop and started taking photos and thereafter, i 'request' (no point shouting as i have the evidence) for the additional money they have kept. After some discussion, they returned me my money and we left in peace.

I was lucky to be home safely
    he is not kind, anything could have happened in the shop.

if you are unlucky, it just needs to happen once.

Ya my friend who just came back told me the same thing..she said that the rates was incredibly good...and she count n they count.n her eyes never left the stack of money except for that split second. she remember putting into her bag...immediately after counting the money..back in hotel, some notes were missing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12