Thread: Is there such a thing as BIOS being affected by virus?

Default Is there such a thing as BIOS being affected by virus?

I hope anyone can kindly help me here:

One day, my computer kept re-booting itself upon start up, even though I could see the initial Win XP Pro screen.

I removed all the old hard-disks, took a new unformatted one, and tried to reinstall the OS. However, there was a message saying BOOT SECTOR VIRUS. CONTINUE?

I seem to get different responses to this issue. I googled it and Wiki says to flash my BIOS. One colleague says that's normal and to proceed, since the BIOS thinks there's a virus when the boot sector of the new hard-disk is being modified. Another friend says to continue also, as formatting the disk will remove any virus anyway.

So I'm pretty confused now. Should I flash my BIOS or proceed with installing the Win XP? Was the re-booting from the old hard disk due to virus in the old disk itself rather than the BIOS being affected?

Hope computer gurus out there can offer me some advice. Appreciate it! THANK U!

Default Re: Is there such a thing as BIOS being affected by virus?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I hope anyone can kindly help me here:

One day, my computer kept re-booting itself upon start up, even though I could see the initial Win XP Pro screen.

I removed all the old hard-disks, took a new unformatted one, and tried to reinstall the OS. However, there was a message saying BOOT SECTOR VIRUS. CONTINUE?

I seem to get different responses to this issue. I googled it and Wiki says to flash my BIOS. One colleague says that's normal and to proceed, since the BIOS thinks there's a virus when the boot sector of the new hard-disk is being modified. Another friend says to continue also, as formatting the disk will remove any virus anyway.

So I'm pretty confused now. Should I flash my BIOS or proceed with installing the Win XP? Was the re-booting from the old hard disk due to virus in the old disk itself rather than the BIOS being affected?

Hope computer gurus out there can offer me some advice. Appreciate it! THANK U!
    Flash your BIOS.

GMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    Flash your BIOS.

GMAN
    wt... i doubt u know what u are talking about...

if his disk have boot sector virus, boot sector is in the hdd, not in the bios.

if his bios is affected by virus, he most likely won't be able to boot the system up.

Simplest of ways now, nothing wrong with Bios, for layman, dun bother update. if it screws up, you got more crap to take care of.

Go into your bios, do a low level format on the hdd. it will clear the virus if any.

Boot with your xp cd (original), reinstall. If there is virus, most likely your xp cd is non-original.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

There's option in some motherboard call "boot virus protection" or something similar (can enable/disable), basically it hash the primary boot sector signature. During boot up, if the bios detect that the primary boot sector hash signature if different it will give u a warning. It may or may not mean you have a infected disk boot sector; if you replace a hdd it may give u this warning since the hash is different.

Thanks....

I only thought of flashing the BIOS as a last resort cos I've been warned if done wrongly, that's the end of my motherboard! I thought of asking someone more savvy to help me with this actually, if I ever do it.

What puzzles me is that the HDD is virgin new, bought and taken out fresh from its wrapper. So I'm puzzled when I saw the message. They couldn't possibly implant a virus at the factory?!

Ok, will try to see if low-level format works. Is there this option in the BIOS itself? I thought I have to download some kind of driver (which I did) via the manufacturer's website and create a bootable disk. Or at least, that's what the wiki help says....

sad to say yes.
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

YES !!!
    BIOS can be attacked by a virus !!!
    Time, is an effortless construction :)