Thread: Advise For Noob?

Default Advise For Noob?

Am new to photography. I am interested to become a freelance photographer. Will be taking some basic photography courses first. I wish to ask what shld a noobie like me get? Just a DSLR will do or i need to get all the lenses, flasher etc in order to start the class?

Default Re: Advise For Noob?

start with the basics such as a D40 with a kit lens or a 1000D with a kit lens

start reading the basic guide for beginners, attend course

learn with your kit lens first, flashes and more fancy glass can come later once you've mastered the basics
    Pentax K-x

Doesn't the class state any prerequisites? Does it state "Get all Premium Grade lenses for your camera"?
    You are a beginner, the same applies to you as to all the other 10..20 newbies asking the same question every week "Oh, which camera should I get?" - The answers are the same. So please browse through the newbie section and read existing threads.
    Your ambition to become freelance photographer is nice, keep it up. But learn walking like many others first, then go for the running course and competition.

depends which niche you want to go into, some jobs a slower camera will do while some jobs at least 5fps. There are even times when need to use 21fps on my K20D.

anyway cant go wrong with Canon or Nikon since there are plenty of equipment rental services for them which is good for the beginners who do not want to drop the whole budget all at once.

what i recommend is grab a few book from library and practice. Note down any points you do not know. Then if and when you need to go for lessons, be sure to ask the instructor on the questions you want to ask...that way every $$$ is well spent imo.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    depends which niche you want to go into, some jobs a slower camera will do while some jobs at least 5fps. There are even times when need to use 21fps on my K20D.

anyway cant go wrong with Canon or Nikon since there are plenty of equipment rental services for them which is good for the beginners who do not want to drop the whole budget all at once.

what i recommend is grab a few book from library and practice. Note down any points you do not know. Then if and when you need to go for lessons, be sure to ask the instructor on the questions you want to ask...that way every $$$ is well spent imo.
    i think rental is quite expensive tho

unless i really need that lens, i will just stick to what i have
    Pentax K-x

Hello...welcome.

First of all, ask yourself these:

1) Are you ready for a DSLR?
    2) Do you know what are the other stuff required (lenses, dry cabinet, filters for the lenses, etc)?
    3) Have much do you know about photography?
    4) What is your budget?

Please also note that owning a DSLR does not mean that your pictures will be amazing. If you are not ready for a DSLR or if your budget is tight, consider getting a prosumer (bridge) cam instead.

If you are ready to get a DSLR, I would suggest that you go to a shop to try out the different entry level cams from each brand (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic and Samsung) and see which suits you best. Popular brands does not necessary mean they are suitable for you, get something which suits you and you're comfortable with. Afterall, you are the one using it.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

See got any frds or colleagues willing to borrow u molest their DSLRs !

Best is have ur DSLR 1st before going for any photography courses,
    or u may find it hard to understand what the instructors are teaching

Quote Originally Posted by horizon_grazer View Post
    Best is have ur DSLR 1st before going for any photography courses,
    or u may find it hard to understand what the instructors are teaching
    There are classes like those from objectifs where you just need a camera which can be switched to Manual mode. Many PnS have this Manual mode so it's pretty suitable for the beginning to explore exposure and composition. The drawbacks for Depth of Field are not that relevant in the beginning I think.

Welcome.

No one jumps in and becomes a master overnight. What you'd want to do is to start slow and keep practising along the way. Taking courses or learning on your own is up to you.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

taking classes n courses might not help u also.
    u need experience.
    go help ppl take pics, even if it's for free.

i suggest u can start off with either d3000 or 500d.

if u wan to avoid upgradin too much in future, do consider d90.

ur kit len will last u for a while.

look at thread for the specific event here,..eg wedding...
    go c how ppl are takin the pic.

also, do not b afraid to lay on the floor for that shot.
    u need to work hard for ur shots!!!

ENJOY!!!
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew