Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: viewing with obligation???

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    445

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    2 months ago I contacted a seller on the b/s forum and after a few sms'es he agreed/confirmed to sell a camera to me at my offered price. We agreed to meet at Tampines mrt station 3 days later, as we were both busy at the time. On the day itself, I sms'ed him to let him know I was already on the way [I had already travelled for over 45 mins. from my home]. He sms'ed me back to say, "sorry, the cam had already been sold to another."

    Lesson learnt: I guess "buyer beware" doesn't just refer to the quality of the item for sale, but to the character of the seller as well

  2. #22

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    i have tried to sell an iffy lens before, i sold it cheap because it looked iffy, and i had no idea what fungus was.

    the buyer told me there was fungus, and i said sorry for wasting his time. i hope he wasn't too fed up with me because my schedule was pretty tight then and we had trouble meeting up.


    that should be the way it is. no one wants to buy a fungused lens, really, unless you advertised it as one.

    that said, both sides of the fence have their black sheep, be it seller or buyer. i guess, if it matters to you, then be the change you want to see. be a gracious seller and buyer, do not do silly things.. and maybe, just maybe, it might help in the long run. though i doubt it will. but at least you can answer to yourself.

  3. #23

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    you are right, there is HARDLY any difference in price between brand new and 2nd hand, at least on CS. like there is a post selling a 2nd hand 55-250mm IS lens at $360. that lens can bought NEW at $350!
    many people trying their luck

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North Singapore
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post

    I did not name the seller, as maybe he will still like to sell this lens to others who can accept spiderwebs as dust.
    I do not want to "spoil his business"
    I find the above behaviour is so selfish. If I am not wrong the seller has already sold the Lens off. Hopefully it is not Fungus as suspected.... If not some Newbie bought it without knowing is so pitiful.

    To TS, your thinking and Behaviour is also in doubt. If other reason given like " I am not sure if it is fungues" then is reasonable but reason like "do not want to spoilt his business"....hmm....make me think you are worse than the seller as the seller is unaware himself.

  5. #25

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    He kept on insisting that they are dust, and not fungus.

    So, you mean I should post his Nick and telephone number out here?

    As I have said, to me..spiderweb stuffs, no matter how big or small...should be fungus to me.
    The Seller felt otherwise, and maybe there are people who think that way too.

    I have already advised him to send his lens to the professional for a check, and clean it if they are indeed fungus.

    If I still name his Nick here, am I not an arsehole and maybe no one will want to buy from him anymore, even if he send it in for cleaning.

    As I have clarified a few times, I am not pissed off that I travelled quite a distance to meet this Seller, and realised there are tiny/faint spiderwebs in the glass.

    I am just alittle upset, that why is he behaving (for giving me a super pissed off face and stormed off) as if I have no buy the lens, no matter if I am comfortable/satisfied with the lens or not.
    I am also alittle upset, that he asked if I am picking on the "dust" because I wanted a discount.

    To each his own...if you are not satisfied with the condition, a buyer should not free to go.
    Maybe there are someone else who are alright with the condition of his lens, and therefore I do not see the point of naming the person in here.

    I have also give the link, so that others can understand what is the difference between fungus and dust.

    I did not come in here, to name the person and pick a fight.
    Fighting over a piece of glass is not part of my weekend's agenda.

  6. #26

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i have tried to sell an iffy lens before, i sold it cheap because it looked iffy, and i had no idea what fungus was.

    the buyer told me there was fungus, and i said sorry for wasting his time. i hope he wasn't too fed up with me because my schedule was pretty tight then and we had trouble meeting up.


    that should be the way it is. no one wants to buy a fungused lens, really, unless you advertised it as one.

    that said, both sides of the fence have their black sheep, be it seller or buyer. i guess, if it matters to you, then be the change you want to see. be a gracious seller and buyer, do not do silly things.. and maybe, just maybe, it might help in the long run. though i doubt it will. but at least you can answer to yourself.
    Exactly..that should be the way.
    I gave him the benefit the doubt that he geniuely does not know those could be fungus too, and hence I told him to send it for a check and clean...and we can arrange to meet again.

    It is really not about the fungus...
    It is just the attitude that the Seller has shown me.

  7. #27

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    Quote Originally Posted by virus530 View Post
    I find the above behaviour is so selfish. If I am not wrong the seller has already sold the Lens off. Hopefully it is not Fungus as suspected.... If not some Newbie bought it without knowing is so pitiful.

    To TS, your thinking and Behaviour is also in doubt. If other reason given like " I am not sure if it is fungues" then is reasonable but reason like "do not want to spoilt his business"....hmm....make me think you are worse than the seller as the seller is unaware himself.
    I disagree. I think its a simple case of the buyer not being satisfied with the condition of the lens and exercising his right not to buy it.

    If somebody else purchase the lens, then either that somebody doesn't mind about the condition of the lens or didn't check properly, neither is the fault of the TS.

    I think the issue here is the (based on TS account) rather rude reaction of the seller.

  8. #28

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I disagree. I think its a simple case of the buyer not being satisfied with the condition of the lens and exercising his right not to buy it.

    If somebody else purchase the lens, then either that somebody doesn't mind about the condition of the lens or didn't check properly, neither is the fault of the TS.

    I think the issue here is the (based on TS account) rather rude reaction of the seller.

    Yes, exactly.
    I am really fine with it.
    Initially, when I saw him starting to look really "sianz and disappointed", I told him several times...""不好意思", and this is also the first time that I have rejected a Seller's item after viewing.
    I just thought it was really unnecessary to be so pissed off at me, for rejecting..as I was the one who travelled a much longer distance at 1030pm to meet his convenience.
    By the time, he returned home with the lens and to watch the 11pm news..I was not even 1/2 way home. I am not even pissed, why should he right?

  9. #29
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: viewing with obligation???

    Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post
    Yes, exactly.
    I am really fine with it.
    Initially, when I saw him starting to look really "sianz and disappointed", I told him several times...""不好意思", and this is also the first time that I have rejected a Seller's item after viewing.
    I just thought it was really unnecessary to be so pissed off at me, for rejecting..as I was the one who travelled a much longer distance at 1030pm to meet his convenience.
    By the time, he returned home with the lens and to watch the 11pm news..I was not even 1/2 way home. I am not even pissed, why should he right?
    As someone who buy and sell stuff in this forum, I felt that the buyer should not be oblige to buy the item if he/she is not comfortable with it for whatever reason.

    As a seller, I usually insist on meet up place so it is always convenient to me. This can filter out buyers that are not sincere since they would not want to make a trip all the way from east side to the west. And if the deal cannot be finalize, then the time spent (or wasted) is minimum from my side.

    Since we are dealing with 2nd hand items, things such as light used marks, dust should be expected. But this should be clearly spell out in the WTS thread so the buyer knows ahead of time of what they are getting. If the item is advertised as mint or a 10 and there are obvious used marks on it, then the seller is at fault.

    I always insist the buyer check on everything before leaving since most of these items do not carry any warranty (personal or OEM). It will be quite messy if the buyer comes calling afterward and said something is wrong as I have no way to tell whether it is an original problem or the buyer mishandled the item. Some sellers do provide a personal guarantee out of goodwill but this can get abuse if the buyer is unethical and try to pull a fast one.

    There are all kinds of people in the B&S section and I do feel most of them are quite honest and sincere. It is just people need to have the correct expectation when getting into the 2nd hand dealing.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •