Thread: UV filter?

Default UV filter?

Hey everyone!

I've been into photography for a while, mainly using a pentax kx. However, I recently got a canon 450d. Unfortunately I forgot to buy a uv filter. Should I get one before I start using the camera heavily? Also, should I get a dry box while I'm at it? I'd hate for my pentax to get moldy or anything now that I'm not using it as much.

Thanks for replies!

Default Re: UV filter?

no need filter lah

if it is the kit lens that come with your 450D, the front element rotates thus making filter attachment a bit challenging since the filter thread is very thin

Just get a Tokina one for 10 bucks if it will put your mind at ease. Regarding the dry box/cab, personally I have never used one before, but I heard from some lao jiao at a photography course that you should always remove your filters from your lenses before putting them in, or fungus growth will be promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lim View Post
    if it is the kit lens that come with your 450D, the front element rotates thus making filter attachment a bit challenging since the filter thread is very thin
    er, this is only a problem with cpl filter, not uv filter...

Haha... should lah. Should get a UV filter lah.
    Imagine yourself walking around shooting enthusiastically, then suddenly a wet or dirty finger smudges the front of the lens... well, it would be less heart-ache if it were the UV filter instead.

Mmm yea a filter has saved my pentax lense many times before.

Better get a dry box. Filter is redundant. A bit care and alertness comes free and doesn't cause flare or ghosting. Get a lens hood instead.

Dun bother getting one if you dun intend to invest in a good one. The image quality is only as good as the glass which is passing the light to the sensor/film. Thus if you have a decent lens but use a poor piece of filter, you're going to lower the image quality.

Invest in a good dry cabinet and save yourself the worry about your equipment when they are not in use.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Dun bother getting one if you dun intend to invest in a good one. The image quality is only as good as the glass which is passing the light to the sensor/film. Thus if you have a decent lens but use a poor piece of filter, you're going to lower the image quality.

Invest in a good dry cabinet and save yourself the worry about your equipment when they are not in use.
    yes a cheapo tokina uv filter ($10), going to give u ghosting problem when u shoot at night against signboards. i experience it when i got one for my 50mm... in the end i sold it and buy a hoya pro1 uv filter for $27. make sure the uv filter is multi coat (this will reduce the ghosting problem significantly).

yah, dry box is not consistent. u had to keep track of the silica gel and when to replace. get a dry cabinet instead.

get a better filter like B+W or Hoya HD series if you don't plan to change your kit lens sooner.
    cheapo filter will cause a serious glare under quite-strong light

Get both the filter and the dry box. Both are really useful.