Thread: Panorama Problem with G5

Default Panorama Problem with G5

Hi,

I have a G5 which I bought some time back. I tried some shots on a tripod and tried to stitch them up using both the Photo Stitch by Canon and Adobe Photoshop CS (PhotoMerge plugin). There seems to be a lot of problems with the final output regardless of which method I used to stitch them up. To my disappointment, I found that the real source of the problem lies with the tripod mount, which is not in line with the lense itself, hence when the camera rotates to take the shots the axis of the lense shifted.

I am a bit perfectionist in the overall picture output, at least not to have distorted pictures in this kind of situation. I believe there are some devices for it to work properly in this situation, like a horizontal panning head? I am not sure if I got it right, so I need some advice. I found this thing which may help, but I am not if it really does or that there is a cheaper solution to it.

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/tem...=11&itemid=677

Can anyone advice? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Hi,
    I believe there are some devices for it to work properly in this situation, like a horizontal panning head
    http://www.manfrotto.com/product/tem...=11&itemid=677

Can anyone advice? Thanks
    I'm using a pan-shift mount that's mounted between the camera and the tripod. (similar to the one you shown on your link) However the pan-shift mount allows the camera to be shift along the x-y coordinate, so as to align the focal point of the lens to the centre of the rotation. Requires some trial and error to locate the focal point of the lens. After that, the rest of the stitching is a breeze.

I bought the pan-shift mount couples of months back at CathayPhoto(PP) (that outlet selling tripods and studio lightings) while on a short visit to Singapore.

somehow i doubt the source of your problem lies in the axis of the tripod pivot. what kind of distortion are you talking about? any pictures that you can show us? i have a suspicion that you just need more overlapping between shots.

Hi!

e_liau:
    May I knwo the brand, model and price of this product you have got? Thanks

wacko:
    I do have about 5 pictures overlapping over a 5-6m length of a room, with camera about 2.5m away from the perpendicular distance to the wall. Will post some pictures tonight if I got the time coz tonight going to Orchard road for some pictures. Thanks