Thread: What sets a quality picture apart from a 'snapshot'?

Default What sets a quality picture apart from a 'snapshot'?

Subjectivity and personal preferences aside, what are the factors that contribute to the worth of a picture?

sellability?
    media worth i guess...

anything else will fall under the category of personal preference

really, a snapshot can also be a quality shot. anything that u like will be a good shot coz sometimes the mood matters more than the usual technically proven good shots

I believe a moment in capture is worth its salt only when it can tell a story--I'm looking at a photojournalist PoV. Not many such pictures come by, but you know one when you can tell that the photographer has put in a lot of effort thinking about capturing the moment.

The ability to evoke emotions is one of the many tests to determine a picture's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    I believe a moment in capture is worth its salt only when it can tell a story--I'm looking at a photojournalist PoV. Not many such pictures come by, but you know one when you can tell that the photographer has put in a lot of effort thinking about capturing the moment.

The ability to evoke emotions is one of the many tests to determine a picture's worth.
    well said

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    well said
    I second that. It brings to mind the Nat Geo and Lonely Planet pictures.

But what about architectural shots, macros, food photography, fashion photography etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by TRiShnDaisy
    I second that. It brings to mind the Nat Geo and Lonely Planet pictures.

But what about architectural shots, macros, food photography, fashion photography etc etc?
    I think for the above...it still falls back to the emotional factor when it comes to looking at an image...the story-telling aspect of a picture all complements ultimately to the state of emotion the image evokes...all the technicalities behind the using of the humble camera to capture images converges to this single entity...at least its IMHO...