Thread: Have you ever lost a lens or camera due to fungus?

Default Have you ever lost a lens or camera due to fungus?

Have you ever lost a lens or camera due to fungus? And why?

*Not asking about "someone you know who knows someone whose gear got ruined by fungus.*

Default Re: Have you ever lost a lens or camera due to fungus?

Sad to say, I have lost a few. When I started photography many moons ago, dry cabinets were not invented yet (or at least not easily available). I use dry boxes but maintaining the silica gel was such a pain. My first SLR lens (Nikon 43 -86) had fungus. Sent it for cleaning (by a freelancer). It was a big mistake. The fungus was gone but the focussing was affected. I also have a Tamron 200 mm bought at a fire sale. It was not very good to start of with and because of low usage, fungus attacked it.

When dry cabinets first came into the market, it was such a relief. My dry cabinet was bought more than 8 years ago and still chugging along. No more problems with fungus since then. I think with the low cost of dry cabinets these days, fungus should be a thing of the past.

Newbies take note. The humidity in Singapore is really, really bad for your lenses. Invest in a dry cabinet if you treasure them.

I never, but I only owned DSLR for less then 6 month.

I've owned my K-m/K2000 for 3 weeks now and the only lens I have so far is the DA L 18-55 kit lens. No fungus or anything yet. Hopefully never will. I live in Minnesota and the weather gets freezing cold in the winter but humid in the summer. I have 3 packets of silica gel in my holster bag and hopefully it will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermitfm View Post
    Sad to say, I have lost a few. When I started photography many moons ago, dry cabinets were not invented yet (or at least not easily available). I use dry boxes but maintaining the silica gel was such a pain...
    So could I say that you got fungus on your gear because you didn't maintain the silica gel? Or do you mean that even with the silica gel we could still get fungus?

silica gel doesn't help much... the moment the box is open new air will replace the old... Never winning situation.

You may want to consider this... if putting a lens away for a while, remove the filter as air trapped between filter & front element of lens will promote bacteria grown... that's fungus.

I usually 'work' on my other less use lenses by focusing it from end to end or zoom it in & out to have the stagnant air replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Lee View Post
    ... the moment the box is open new air will replace the old... Never winning situation.
    This is also true for a dry cabinet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    This is also true for a dry cabinet, right?
    Yes, and the RH will increase. But i've never got any fungus on all my cameras and lenses before.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    So could I say that you got fungus on your gear because you didn't maintain the silica gel? Or do you mean that even with the silica gel we could still get fungus?
    The former. Silica gel is high maintenance (compared to dry cab) if you open and close it a lot. I think silica gel can only be used in situations where you want to store something for a long time. If you open and close the box a lot, the gel will quickly be 'used up' and you will have to activate it again.

The former. Silica gel is high maintenance (compared to dry cab) if you open and close it a lot. I think silica gel can only be used in situations where you want to store something for a long time. If you open and close the box a lot, the gel will quickly be 'used up' and you will have to activate it again.
    Incorrect. Silica gels are preferred when u want to go overseas for a short period for example as silica gels absorb moisture and turn colour quite fast and after a while, can't be used.

Long term investment is the dry cabinet.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

If the camera is always in use, say, few times in a week, do I still need a dry cabinet? Will putting them in a camera bag sufficient?

i dod have an old sigma slr infested with fungus,
    I am thinking of loading some film in and just shot, wonder how it will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    If the camera is always in use, say, few times in a week, do I still need a dry cabinet? Will putting them in a camera bag sufficient?
    I would still suggest to get as due to the very humid climate in Singapore, chances of fungus infestations are higher.

never ever and never will.hahaha

Im so new! Never happened to me before... and hope that it never will. Got a dry cabinet upon advise from my mates.

One old Minolta lens became a science experiment back when shooting film only. Dry cabinet is a must if you value your glass in humid areas.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

Newbies take note. The humidity in Singapore is really, really bad for your lenses. Invest in a dry cabinet if you treasure them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Incorrect. Silica gels are preferred when u want to go overseas for a short period for example as silica gels absorb moisture and turn colour quite fast and after a while, can't be used.

Long term investment is the dry cabinet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I would still suggest to get as due to the very humid climate in Singapore, chances of fungus infestations are higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    One old Minolta lens became a science experiment back when shooting film only. Dry cabinet is a must if you value your glass in humid areas.
    Thanks. I take your advice. Have placed an order for a Aipo AP 48EX dry cabinet today.