Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13283336373839404348 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (39) New Seaon KICK OFF!!

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (39) New Seaon KICK OFF!!

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post
    go liverpool!!!!!!!!!! Trash them!!!!!!!!!!!
    this is better than cheer....this is chanting...POWER... ... bro must do this chant before every match...

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (39) New Seaon KICK OFF!!

Lucas Leiva: More than capable of filling Xabi Alonso's boots?

In part 3 of his season preview, Kais Sabir Jesani looks at the potential importance of Lucas Leiva and examines how he will fit into the Liverpool team this season.

Note: This article was intended to have been published before the first game of the season, but unfortunately, this was not possible. Nevertheless, the contrasting performances against Tottenham and Stoke serve to underscore, rather than negate, the arguments made in this piece.

As Lucas himself would confess, he is no Xabi Alonso. He possesses none of the Spaniard’s sublime passing skills, nor can he match the ability of Xabi to keep the ball in tight situations.

Unfortunately, in the first half of the recent Tottenham defeat, Lucas was clearly overwhelmed by the lack of space afforded to him by Tottenham’s high closing-down tactics, and the quality of our build-up play suffered as a result.

However, what the reactionary post-mortem in the papers the next day failed to recognise is that Luka Modric was often drifting in to the middle from the wing, resulting in the trio of Modric, Huddlestone and Palacios outnumbering Lucas and Mascherano in the centre of midfield.

Consequently, Lucas was ostensibly given instructions not to bomb forward, in order to allow Johnson to take advantage of the space vacated by Modric on Liverpool’s right flank and stretch our attacking play. That is precisely what happened in the 2nd half when Johnson was able to make an unencumbered run in to the box to win a penalty.

Rather than having failed to dictate Liverpool’s tempo, I would suggest that Lucas instead executed his duty as an auxiliary right-back (while Johnson attacked) to perfection, particularly in the 2nd half.

The most common criticisms aimed at Lucas are that he “can’t shoot, can’t pass, and can’t tackle”. Granted, for somebody who was the youngest winner of the prestigious Bola de Ouro, Liverpool fans expected a player more like Zico and less like Kleberson.

Yet it is crucial to remember that Lucas was only 20 years old when he signed for Liverpool, having barely played 3 seasons for his beloved Gremio by that time.

The perils of adapting to a new culture, and learning a foreign language could only have been exacerbated by the fact that, as Rafa himself has noted, the young Brazilian was competing for a place against the Liverpool skipper Gerrard, one of the best holding midfielders in Europe in Mascherano and playmaker extraordinaire, Xabi Alonso.

Few, if any, young players in world football would be expected to match the class of this trio. Gradually, the boy from Dourados has begun to exhibit the qualities that Rafa and his teammates have so often talked about.

As Paul Tomkins observed, Lucas had been almost “deferential” towards the likes of Alonso and Gerrard when playing alongside them. But in Alonso’s absence last season against Newcastle, Lucas was magnificent in his midfield role, the highlight being was a superb killer ball for Gerrard to score.

Similarly, against United, Lucas' positional discipline was impeccable, as he operated in tandem with Mascherano to contain Fletcher and Carrick, which afforded Gerrard and Torres the freedom to torment Vidic and co.

To be fair, his clever movement in the attacking third goes completely unnoticed. In the game against Fulham last April, I watched Lucas drifted out wide to draw out the opposition fullbacks, allowing Kuyt to tuck in and support Gerrard and Torres in attack, as Liverpool attacked furiously in search of that elusive goal.

Less than a minute later, he popped up at Fulham’s far post, making a perfectly timed run to score the winner from Gerrard’s deflected shot. Alas, Yossi Benayoun got a touch to it first and sent the ball wide. What struck me, though, was that I had never seen either Alonso ever drift out wide or take up such a position in the box like that before.

The key, then, is Lucas’ mobility. He will never be able to dictate the tempo of a game the way Alonso could, but he will provide a sense of vitality to Liverpool’s attacking play by virtue of his inclination to make short, penetrating passes and then make a run to receive the ball again.

This aspect of his game was exhibited against Stoke, where he was able to impose himself on the game by playing a little higher up the pitch than usual (between Mascherano and Gerrard), which enabled him to contribute better to our attacking play.

Similarly, while his positioning off-the-ball may not be as astute as Alonso’s, it was evident against Stoke that he is a vastly superior tackler than the Spaniard, and his relative speed allows him to fall back much quicker than Alonso did.

The quandary in the minds of Liverpool supporters, however, is whether this form can be replicated against teams better than Stoke.

I would suggest that Lucas’ pre-season form is an affirmation of the faith the manager has shown in him, and in light of Alonso’s departure and Aquilani’s indisposition, I believe that Lucas will emerge as a player genuinely worthy of his place in the team.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2009/08...apable-of.html

very well written and good analysis of what lucas does. I think some of the crititism is unfair but the truth is Lucas is not Alonso, nor is he robinho, kaka or whoever. All i can say is that liverpool fans should at least give him a chance. From my pov, i think he's still unproven, same goes for Babel. However, if after 3 yrs, you still can consistently command a regular place or win the fans over, it's unlikely to happen.

Lucas & Babel both have potential,thats why Rafa signed them. Babel showed only glimpse of his potential...Lucas is starting to show his after alonso left as he now gets more playing time...both are young players...please support them...same support as everyone gives Gerrard & Torres...

gerrard and carragher has been given their fair share of games and support when they were unproven and younger too.
    i really hope lucas and babbel can both mature and evolve when they will be given more chances this season.

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    Lucas & Babel both have potential,thats why Rafa signed them. Babel showed only glimpse of his potential...Lucas is starting to show his after alonso left as he now gets more playing time...both are young players...please support them...same support as everyone gives Gerrard & Torres...
    some players are just not good enuff to pull on the shirts of LFC.

so, if they are not good enuff, we mux sell them ASAP.

it is the gaffer's fault if he failed to see that they are F9. even SAF sold djemba-djemba and other KKJ players becos they are simply not up to the mark.

does anyone here seriously believe that babel is remotely 1/2 good enuff to pull on the legendary red jersey?

he is a mistake signing. sell him!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by boresome View Post
    gerrard and carragher has been given their fair share of games and support when they were unproven and younger too.
    i really hope lucas and babbel can both mature and evolve when they will be given more chances this season.
    stevie G n carrag, even when young, can see their fierce determination and drive.

ALAMAK!!! i dun see these qualities in bubble-gum!

even dirty kite, a player i dislike so much who is so limited and so F9, but even he work his socks off to make up for his very obvious lack of ability, and make us vomit blood more more in the process.

but i see nothing from bubble-gum except that he go n cut some rap album and sulk n grumble.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    very well written and good analysis of what lucas does. I think some of the crititism is unfair but the truth is Lucas is not Alonso, nor is he robinho, kaka or whoever. All i can say is that liverpool fans should at least give him a chance. From my pov, i think he's still unproven, same goes for Babel. However, if after 3 yrs, you still can consistently command a regular place or win the fans over, it's unlikely to happen.
    he is not alonso n can never be. but he is trying his best. ok, i give him that.

haiz. why has it come to this? the legendary red jersey pulled on by the likes of dirty kite, bubble-gum n leiva... hahahahaha

let's hope lucas at least continue to work hard in his game n improve!

i've given up hope on bubble-gum.

Com'on you Reds!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    Com'on you Reds!!!!

i can see u are starting to show you like dirty kite

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    i can see u are starting to show you like dirty kite
    not like, but enlightened.

enlightened that as long as raf999 is around, his lover dirty kite will be around.

i dun like raf999 and i dun like dirty kite.

some players are just not good enuff to pull on the shirts of LFC.
    so, if they are not good enuff, we mux sell them ASAP.
    it is the gaffer's fault if he failed to see that they are F9. even SAF sold djemba-djemba and other KKJ players becos they are simply not up to the mark.
    does anyone here seriously believe that babel is remotely 1/2 good enuff to pull on the legendary red jersey?
    he is a mistake signing. sell him!
    the manager usually signs players based on scouts report,i believe LFC scouts are good enough,though i feel arse has got the best scouts in epl,look at the quality youngsters they have...
    djemba-djemba is a joke really...even worst than when LFC signings during souness era...sometimes a manager signs quality player,like the argentinian(cant remember his name)manure sign from an italian club...its just that he cant cope/adapt to english football but he was quality when playing in serie a(Lazio i think)...ahh its veron...

stevie G n carrag, even when young, can see their fierce determination and drive.
    ALAMAK!!! i dun see these qualities in bubble-gum!
    even dirty kite, a player i dislike so much who is so limited and so F9, but even he work his socks off to make up for his very obvious lack of ability, and make us vomit blood more more in the process.
    but i see nothing from bubble-gum except that he go n cut some rap album and sulk n grumble.
    Gerrard & Carra are both english...they dont need to adapt...foreign players need settling period...give them enough time to settle...if not,we cant reap the reward from their potential...

he is not alonso n can never be. but he is trying his best. ok, i give him that.
    haiz. why has it come to this? the legendary red jersey pulled on by the likes of dirty kite, bubble-gum n leiva... hahahahaha
    let's hope lucas at least continue to work hard in his game n improve!
    i've given up hope on bubble-gum.
    at least now bro cheesecake starts to support Lucas...its a good sign...

not like, but enlightened.

enlightened that as long as raf999 is around, his lover dirty kite will be around.

i dun like raf999 and i dun like dirty kite.
    Rafa is the best ... wah going to break fast soon...

Rafa is the best ... wah going to break fast soon...
    good for u.

i am on a diet. dr. say i too fat.

the manager usually signs players based on scouts report,i believe LFC scouts are good enough,though i feel arse has got the best scouts in epl,look at the quality youngsters they have...
    djemba-djemba is a joke really...even worst than when LFC signings during souness era...sometimes a manager signs quality player,like the argentinian(cant remember his name)manure sign from an italian club...its just that he cant cope/adapt to english football but he was quality when playing in serie a(Lazio i think)...ahh its veron...

Gerrard & Carra are both english...they dont need to adapt...foreign players need settling period...give them enough time to settle...if not,we cant reap the reward from their potential...

at least now bro cheesecake starts to support Lucas...its a good sign...
    the colour of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB is RED and so too the colour of my blood!

Com'on you REDS!!!

huat! ah!

Quote Originally Posted by shunzi View Post
    huat! ah!
    huat huat huat!!

cheesecake's favourite bubblegum

Ryan Babel - Could he do a Benayoun this year?

In part four of his season preview, Kais Sabir Jesani looks at Ryan Babel's tactical role in the Liverpool team. Could this be the Dutchman's year or will he flatter to deceive yet again?

In part 3 of this preview, I discussed how Lucas Leiva's career seems to be in the ascendency. In sharp contrast, Ryan Babel is a player whose Liverpool career arc seems to be heading in the opposite direction.

To be honest, I was completely certain that he would not last the summer at Liverpool. He arrived with the reputation of a wonderkid, and although he showed tremendous promise in his first year, his performances were often dreadful last season.

Nevertheless, the fact that he remains unambiguously part of the manager’s plans is testament to the enviable talent and unique strengths with which Babel has been bestowed.

Indeed, Xabi Alonso recently acknowledged that Babel is probably the most skillful player in a Liverpool squad that is - if one was to be candid - not a team imbued with significant flair.

In Part 1 of this series, I had written about the manager’s preference for using Babel as a striker in games where Liverpool are protecting a lead; in Benitez’s favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, he is more commonly used as the left-sided attacker.

Tactically, Babel’s use as an impact substitute on the left wing can be extremely effective. His inclination to run at the fullback, and then cut in on to his stronger right foot can be a frightening for a defender facing him, particularly if the right-back is predominantly right-footed (as most are) and is thus compelled to run backwards and towards his weaker side in order cut off Babel.

Somewhat curiously, Babel also provides the side with more width when he plays in this position, because he pulls the fullback out of position when he cuts in to shoot or pass, facilitating an overlapping run by our left-back who now has no defender to prevent him from making a cross.

The Dutchman has a shot that is both powerful and accurate, and is aided by a relatively low backlift, which allows him to surprise the defender and goalkeeper with a quickly taken strike.

The problem with Babel, though, is not his technical or physical attributes, but rather his mentality. He seems to lack composure in the final third, leading him to lose possession easily or squander an opportunity to make a clever pass.

Now this in itself is not uncommon for a flair player, but in Babel’s case, it is perplexing that his end product suffers in games where he starts.

I think that defenders attempt to counter his predilection to cut on to his right foot by closing him down as soon as he gets the ball, and he invariably gives the ball away by attempting an ill-advised flick or touch, rather than holding up play until support arrives or making a simple sideways or backwards pass.

Tactically, Benitez also prefers Riera to him as the left-footed Spaniard offers more natural width on the left flank, and he is more inclined to track back and defend than Babel ,who was trained to play on the left of a front 3 at Ajax and is thus inevitably indisposed to perform defensive duties.

It appears therefore, that Babel is more effective when brought on a substitute for the last 20 or 30 minutes of games where Liverpool are chasing a goal – in this situation the opposition’s defence tends to sit deep to stifle the game and hence there is a lot of space for Babel to exploit, allowing him to run at the defence at pace.

Furthermore, Babel’s attacking threat acts as a deterrent in games where the opposition is defending a lead or protecting a draw, because the full-back is unlikely to push forward and provide Babel with the liberty to make an unfettered run from out wide.

As any defender would attest, it is undoubtedly much easier to stop a pacy forward like Babel when he is static, rather when he is in full flight. As a result, it is not surprising that Babel is more successful as an impact substitute, rather than over 90 minutes in the left-wing position.

I anticipate that Benitez will continue to use him in this capacity, until his ball retention and poise improve to the extent where he is able to perform consistently for a full game.

This might sound like an indictment of Babel’s quality, but as I had argued in Part 1 of this article, Benitez perceives games like narratives; Babel performing as the protagonist is contingent on the trajectory of the match’s “story”.

For now, at least, Babel is not a guaranteed starter, but it is my assertion that while he may occasionally disappoint, this will be a season where Babel establishes himself in the manner that Yossi Benayoun did last term.

There are those who hold the notion that neutralising Gerrard and Torres is akin to dismembering the Liverpool side. It is the likes of Lucas and Babel - players that have long been disparaged by certain Liverpool supporters, opposition fans and journalists alike - who can consummately debunk this theory.

Football journalism is inundated with sensationalism, hyperbole and fabricated urgency. Yet I don’t think it would be dramatic of me to suggest that this is a seminal season; one in which these two players will be instrumental in determining whether Liverpool Football Club can fulfill its contract with destiny.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2009/08...youn-this.html

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    cheesecake's favourite bubblegum

Ryan Babel - Could he do a Benayoun this year?

In part four of his season preview, Kais Sabir Jesani looks at Ryan Babel's tactical role in the Liverpool team. Could this be the Dutchman's year or will he flatter to deceive yet again?

In part 3 of this preview, I discussed how Lucas Leiva's career seems to be in the ascendency. In sharp contrast, Ryan Babel is a player whose Liverpool career arc seems to be heading in the opposite direction.

To be honest, I was completely certain that he would not last the summer at Liverpool. He arrived with the reputation of a wonderkid, and although he showed tremendous promise in his first year, his performances were often dreadful last season.

Nevertheless, the fact that he remains unambiguously part of the manager’s plans is testament to the enviable talent and unique strengths with which Babel has been bestowed.

Indeed, Xabi Alonso recently acknowledged that Babel is probably the most skillful player in a Liverpool squad that is - if one was to be candid - not a team imbued with significant flair.

In Part 1 of this series, I had written about the manager’s preference for using Babel as a striker in games where Liverpool are protecting a lead; in Benitez’s favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, he is more commonly used as the left-sided attacker.

Tactically, Babel’s use as an impact substitute on the left wing can be extremely effective. His inclination to run at the fullback, and then cut in on to his stronger right foot can be a frightening for a defender facing him, particularly if the right-back is predominantly right-footed (as most are) and is thus compelled to run backwards and towards his weaker side in order cut off Babel.

Somewhat curiously, Babel also provides the side with more width when he plays in this position, because he pulls the fullback out of position when he cuts in to shoot or pass, facilitating an overlapping run by our left-back who now has no defender to prevent him from making a cross.

The Dutchman has a shot that is both powerful and accurate, and is aided by a relatively low backlift, which allows him to surprise the defender and goalkeeper with a quickly taken strike.

The problem with Babel, though, is not his technical or physical attributes, but rather his mentality. He seems to lack composure in the final third, leading him to lose possession easily or squander an opportunity to make a clever pass.

Now this in itself is not uncommon for a flair player, but in Babel’s case, it is perplexing that his end product suffers in games where he starts.

I think that defenders attempt to counter his predilection to cut on to his right foot by closing him down as soon as he gets the ball, and he invariably gives the ball away by attempting an ill-advised flick or touch, rather than holding up play until support arrives or making a simple sideways or backwards pass.

Tactically, Benitez also prefers Riera to him as the left-footed Spaniard offers more natural width on the left flank, and he is more inclined to track back and defend than Babel ,who was trained to play on the left of a front 3 at Ajax and is thus inevitably indisposed to perform defensive duties.

It appears therefore, that Babel is more effective when brought on a substitute for the last 20 or 30 minutes of games where Liverpool are chasing a goal – in this situation the opposition’s defence tends to sit deep to stifle the game and hence there is a lot of space for Babel to exploit, allowing him to run at the defence at pace.

Furthermore, Babel’s attacking threat acts as a deterrent in games where the opposition is defending a lead or protecting a draw, because the full-back is unlikely to push forward and provide Babel with the liberty to make an unfettered run from out wide.

As any defender would attest, it is undoubtedly much easier to stop a pacy forward like Babel when he is static, rather when he is in full flight. As a result, it is not surprising that Babel is more successful as an impact substitute, rather than over 90 minutes in the left-wing position.

I anticipate that Benitez will continue to use him in this capacity, until his ball retention and poise improve to the extent where he is able to perform consistently for a full game.

This might sound like an indictment of Babel’s quality, but as I had argued in Part 1 of this article, Benitez perceives games like narratives; Babel performing as the protagonist is contingent on the trajectory of the match’s “story”.

For now, at least, Babel is not a guaranteed starter, but it is my assertion that while he may occasionally disappoint, this will be a season where Babel establishes himself in the manner that Yossi Benayoun did last term.

There are those who hold the notion that neutralising Gerrard and Torres is akin to dismembering the Liverpool side. It is the likes of Lucas and Babel - players that have long been disparaged by certain Liverpool supporters, opposition fans and journalists alike - who can consummately debunk this theory.

Football journalism is inundated with sensationalism, hyperbole and fabricated urgency. Yet I don’t think it would be dramatic of me to suggest that this is a seminal season; one in which these two players will be instrumental in determining whether Liverpool Football Club can fulfill its contract with destiny.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2009/08...youn-this.html
    i think the author is paid handsomely for his kelong article.

the match later is like the biggest match of all... sweat!