Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using CPL

Default Re: Using CPL

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it can be done, but i am slowly starting to questioning the wisdom of that.

i think sooner or later, i will just stop bothering to reply altogether. write stickies, people will still ask, then it becomes spoonfeeding with stickies. just varying degrees of the same thing.

the saddest part is that all this information is available easily, 2 seconds away with google. i usually only write stickies on subjects that aren't that easily available, i.e. how to post flickr images on clubsnap, prosumer versus dslr. doesn't make sense to bother to write something (or repeat) that can be found in 80,000 different forms on the world wide web.

thks for spoon feeding me.. think i'll grow bigger, better n faster this way..

I notice there is a little triangle marking on the CPL filter, what does it indicate?

you think this is bad?? you should attend the photography class I am attending at knowledge-bowl. None of them even bothers to figure out their camera!
    D3s - (24-70 f/2.8)
    D700 - (14-24 f/2.8)

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisGabriel View Post
    I notice there is a little triangle marking on the CPL filter, what does it indicate?
    If I am not wrong, this arrow allows you to point it at the sun to position the filter for maximum polarizing effect. My filter don't have this, so I can't verify.

Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    If I am not wrong, this arrow allows you to point it at the sun to position the filter for maximum polarizing effect. My filter don't have this, so I can't verify.
    but the pointed part of the triangle is pointing infront. so doesnt seems rite to be pointing directly at the sun...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by screambitch View Post
    you think this is bad?? you should attend the photography class I am attending at knowledge-bowl. None of them even bothers to figure out their camera!
    So how's the classes at knowledge bowl. Good or not ar?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badtzdiana View Post
    thks for spoon feeding me.. think i'll grow bigger, better n faster this way..
    Aiyoh badtzdiana, you not shy one ar... 不坏势... Beh Pai Seh.

but the pointed part of the triangle is pointing infront. so doesnt seems rite to be pointing directly at the sun...
    Turn the ring then so that the marking faces the direction of the sun. If the triangle irritates you then think of it as a round dot.

Certain CPL has a small handle so that you can rotate and point it to the sun, yours is an arrow marking instead of the small handle.Like what "Octraine" has suggested, imagine the arrow like a small dot or handle, rotate and face the marking to sun direction.

http://images.google.com.sg/imgres?i...a%3DX%26um%3D1

these marking is very useful when you unable to see polarizing effect thru the lens, like using a rangefinder camera.

since you are using a SLR, you can see the effect thru the lens, don't need to bother about the marking.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Ok, understand aldy. Thanks

Default Any suitable CPL for Canon lens EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM

Due to the construction of the above lens where its outermost area is rotating when focusing, it does pose problems for physically connecting a CPL.

Any owners of the lens use CPL on it? and any recommendation of the brand of CPL?

Default Re: Any suitable CPL for Canon lens EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
    Due to the construction of the above lens where its outermost area is rotating when focusing, it does pose problems for physically connecting a CPL.

Any owners of the lens use CPL on it? and any recommendation of the brand of CPL?
    focus first, than turn your CPL ring. not so hard isn't it?

even if with a none rotating front element lens, you still have to set focusing first than adjust CPL filter.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    focus first, than turn your CPL ring. not so hard isn't it?

even if with a none rotating front element lens, you still have to set focusing first than adjust CPL filter.
    thanks! never had a CPL before but read the issue of using it on the above lens.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Aiyoh badtzdiana, you not shy one ar... 不坏势... Beh Pai Seh.
    haha, paiseh wat??
    Im ok lei.. Newbie dono have to ask, tats a way to learn, rather than keep doing wrong way
    glad got helpful ppl willing to explain to us newbies here..

thanks! never had a CPL before but read the issue of using it on the above lens.
    actually it is not really an issue, is rather annoying like somebody's hand keep messing with your filter while focusing. anyway, we usually double check the CPL filter just before clicking the shutter, so don't worry so much.

actually it is not really an issue, is rather annoying like somebody's hand keep messing with your filter while focusing. anyway, we usually double check the CPL filter just before clicking the shutter, so don't worry so much.
    thanks! which recommendation for a CPL for the above lens? As I have the Hoya HD Haze UV filter on the lens, can the CPL be used on top of it?

thanks! which recommendation for a CPL for the above lens? As I have the Hoya HD Haze UV filter on the lens, can the CPL be used on top of it?
    it is not recommend to stack filter, it causes vignetting easily.
    good quality CPL filter is very expensive, and it is not an everyday filter, and don't really use it very often, so just spend what you can.

it is not recommend to stack filter, it causes vignetting easily.
    good quality CPL filter is very expensive, and it is not an everyday filter, and don't really use it very often, so just spend what you can.
    yes I don't see an urgent need to have a cpl. Should it be, it is preferable to remove the uv filter and then use just the cpl on the lens to prevent vignetting?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast