Thread: A Pomeranian.. shot

Default A Pomeranian.. shot

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    Seeking feedback on composition for shooting an active subject - playful dog.
    I've done previous shoots of cats and have no problems with them as they have lesser movement.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Improve the technique of using a prime lens for effective composition, also to gain experience in capturing 'fast' moments.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    Dog owner & myself interacted with the dog to get the attention to the frame.

Camera setup was using a 50mm prime lens, f2.8 (for bokeh), manual mode with auto ISO (to match the movement of the dog). Also used Tungsen WB as the lights in the room were quite yellowish.

I was advised to use flash in this situation, but I felt that the bright lights would be 'harmful' for the dog (probably scare it or something). I wanted the dog to feel comfortable with the shoot and be its normal self.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    As this is my 1st try on a fast moving subject, I think the auto ISO did help quite abit in making the pic brightness visible. However, upon blowing up the actual pic, the 'noise' level was quite visible. (3200 in this case)

Although I did capture the expression of the playful dog, but I guess it could be further improved.
    :: Nikon D90 | Tamron 17 - 50mm f2.8 VC | Nikkor 85mm f1.8| Nikkor 50mm f1.8 ::

Default Re: A Pomeranian.. shot

looks noisy?

too saturated?
    "The more you know, the more you suffer."

apart fr the above......manual WB, manual WB....

is this yr best capture of the dog??

he/she's already using manual WB. I guess you should try custom WB instead or RAW.
    So yellow, looks somewhat like a simpsons dog would be

Ya agree on the custom WB part and try to use flash or wait for the dog to stop moving so you can increase the f-stop to shoot. From my POV the photo DOF kicks in on the fur near the face already. Nice try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    looks noisy?
    yeah, kinda agree. Coz it was on auto ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Petrelli View Post
    too saturated?

ok, noted!

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    he/she's already using manual WB. I guess you should try custom WB instead or RAW.
    So yellow, looks somewhat like a simpsons dog would be
    hahaha! Good one, Simpson's just had a new member...
    Yes, the room lighting was quite yellowish, and i used the Tungsten WB.

Still experimenting with WBs though...

Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Ya agree on the custom WB part and try to use flash or wait for the dog to stop moving so you can increase the f-stop to shoot. From my POV the photo DOF kicks in on the fur near the face already. Nice try anyway.

oh my intention was to create DOF behind the dog.
    I would try with the flash next time... not sure if the dog will get 'affected' by the lights though (even if I bounce from ceiling).

ya but the DOF even affects the face from my pov

1) yellow cast is very bad, find a way to reduce it

2) composition is fine for me, the only question to you would be - do you think the tilt works? it is good that you have taken note of the point that slight tilt isn't going to cut it, but is this better with tilt?

3) try not to shoot at iso3200 unless you are using a d3. but that said, if that's the only way to get the moment, then go for it. a clean noise-free picture is overrated, if you aren't going to get what you want.

I agree that the colour cast is way too yellow. Perhaps before you shoot the next time set a cusom WB if you know its not gonna change much? Or shoot raw and set to AWB first

You can shoot with the flash with dogs if its a fill or if you bounce it at the celing/wall My technique if the chroma noise becomes too bad? Convert to b/w! Seems that even 3200 and f/2.8 was not enough to totaly stop the motion blur though.

Composition wise i think its quite ok but perhaps crop it a little tighter keep the dogs head in the top left side rather than the center.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet