Thread: Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

Default Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

Hi all, I will be going to KK, Sabah end of next month. But I'm not sure where to go for nice pics. Any CS-ers who has gone there wanna share their personal experiences?

I'll be going there for 4 days only.

Default Re: Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

sunset, sunrise pictures - the waterfront of Kota Kinabalu, sutera harbour resort, the shangrila's tanjung aru resort and the tanjung aru beach.

the tunku abdul rahman islands - off the KK mainland, if you can get there say before 9am, usually, you'll get a beautiful view of Mt. Kinabalu.

along the west coast highway to the "tip of borneo", about 40km from kk - you get nice pictures of the countryside, including padi fields, on a fine day - mt kinabalu is visible, hanging bridge, further up north to kudat, good picture of the Rungus longhouse.

around kk - go up to signal hill for bird's eye view of the kk town and opposite island.

the tun mustpha building at likas bay, it has a revolving restaurant called atmosphere. go there before sunset to get the 360 degrees view of the likas bay, partial view of kk and crocker range.

if you are going to kinabalu national park - nice ! go to poring hot springs too for the canopy walkway. amazing photography for montane to lowland flora and fauna.

well, hope that helps. should be able to cover most of it in 4 days !

how about getting around?

which mode of transport is best?
    how much to rent a car/MPV?

or engage local tour guide to bring us around? i personally do not prefer local tour guide. prefer to go around on my own.

how about food? what is the must-eat there?

Bro...

CS created a Travel section for a reason...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125
    Alpha

And there are plenty of travel guides for all kinds of budgets. Haven't seen any travel guide without images. Ok, Lonely Planet has only a few .. but lots of information. Since you want to take the images anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Bro...

CS created a Travel section for a reason...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125
    mod, pls relocate if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    And there are plenty of travel guides for all kinds of budgets. Haven't seen any travel guide without images. Ok, Lonely Planet has only a few .. but lots of information. Since you want to take the images anyway...
    hmm... was hoping to hear more experiences from fellow CSers instead of relying on standard info from travel guides.
    Last edited by happyfrog; 30th July 2009 at 01:19 AM.

i'll be going there next week! haha... we are still planning where to go on our free day... ^^

i personally like Pulau Tiga Island. This is the island where the first epsiode of survivor was filmmed.. nice sunset there

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    hmm... was hoping to hear more experiences from fellow CSers instead of relying on standard info from travel guides.
    Search the forum, key word 'kinabalu'

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Search the forum, key word 'kinabalu'
    okay
    thanks.

happyfrog

one way i scout out locations i go to is to go to flickr, search for the name of the place, look for "most interesting photos"

i see what i think might have potential, see if it has been geotagged, then search more specifically for spots, etc.. so that i have a brief idea what i'm heading into, what i should expect. if no mention is made, i contact the photographer on flickr to ask him more, most of them are willing to help.

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    happyfrog

one way i scout out locations i go to is to go to flickr, search for the name of the place, look for "most interesting photos"

i see what i think might have potential, see if it has been geotagged, then search more specifically for spots, etc.. so that i have a brief idea what i'm heading into, what i should expect. if no mention is made, i contact the photographer on flickr to ask him more, most of them are willing to help.

hope this helps.
    wow... thanks, this is really useful!

anyway, photos aside... i also wanna find out more about stuff like food, transportation, things to buy, etc.

Also, to capture Mount Kinabalu from Tunku Abdul Rahman Islands (as suggested by nikonlenses), is 55mm sufficient? or even 85mm? Or do I need a bigger zoom?