Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

No any extra fuel surcharges here, my flight to Tokyo is next week tuesday. Local friends in Tokyo are ok with the whole thing.
    Might be strange to see Tokyo at night now, no neon lights in Shinjuku so much...

No any extra fuel surcharges here, my flight to Tokyo is next week tuesday. Local friends in Tokyo are ok with the whole thing.
    Might be strange to see Tokyo at night now, no neon lights in Shinjuku so much...

Quote Originally Posted by jaskak View Post
    it might be a good idea to avoid tokyo for now,coz some parts will have rolling blackouts,Yokohama, Kamakura, Hakone, the Fuji Five Lake region, the Izu Peninsula and Nikko

ya the nuclear thing is a time bomb...once radiation level gets too high, leaving that country isnt easy...
    My Blog

Where can I buy Japan train pass here in Singapore ?

u mean JR pass?
    JTB

Quote Originally Posted by jaskak
    Where can I buy Japan train pass here in Singapore ?
    I think u can get them from the Japanese embassy here in Singapore.. Pls take note tat there are various type of rail pass available..

Quote Originally Posted by adiJOO View Post
    I think u can get them from the Japanese embassy here in Singapore.. Pls take note tat there are various type of rail pass available..

Yeah, JR pass thats what i mean. Embassy, is that the place to get it? JTB what is that ?

Yeah, JR pass thats what i mean. Embassy, is that the place to get it? JTB what is that ?
    I think there's a JTB at ion orchard.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

I went to JTB ion orchad. Did not know those passes are so expensive. Then i google "hitchhiking in Japan" and got lots of hits. Seems like its pretty easy over there. I might do that instead.

I went to JTB ion orchad. Did not know those passes are so expensive. Then i google "hitchhiking in Japan" and got lots of hits. Seems like its pretty easy over there. I might do that instead.
    I think if you get those passes from Japan they're like $700 or something. More ex than Singapore for sure.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

How long u intend to stay there?
    When I went there for my honeymoon, we also thought of buying JR rail pass but working out on our itinerary and using the japan national tourism organization website to check transport costs, it will make sense to u if u really need rail pass.

Use the following link, on the top right section, there is a "Plan, check and go" tab.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/

Quote Originally Posted by jaskak View Post
    Actually the lady at JTB told, that passes can only be bought outside of Japan, not anymore when in Japan.

planning to stay 2 months there. one month traveling around

Wow. Have fun!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Wow... U need alot of planning and $$$.. =)
    All my meals are from the stalls inside the railway stations.. Cheap and nice! Haha

I rented a room for 1 month in tokyo, shared house, living with 2 japanese + one american, have kitchen internet etc 830 SGD a month, i think thats ok price. And with a kitchen i can do my own cooking, save money. Im really not a rich guy, have to find cheap way. Thats why I think i will do hitchhiking
    Planning, not my style, i follow intuition.

JR passes can only be bought out of Japan and are meant for tourists. You can buy it from JTB in the basement of Ion which is what I did. Unfortunately, do not make the same mistake I made. I left the tickets on the dining table at home and only realized the mistake just as I was hopping onboard my flight to Japan.

After some frantic searching on the internet I ordered passes online and paid a 2nd time. The passes were delayed in Europe as that was when the whole of Europe was hit with a cold freeze. Finally got the passes a couple of days late and as a result had to spend more time in Tokyo where hotels are not cheap (S$300+ per night).

I was relieved that JTB did issue a refund for the original passes that I had bought.

Internal travel is not cheap in Japan so plan your traveling wisely. Sometimes it's almost the same to fly by private jet (internally) if you have enough people to charter the whole plane (8 pax).

My prayers go out to all the Japanese people who are facing difficult times in areas affected by the recent events. Please be sensitive to others when taking pictures in areas that have been affected. These people have enough of photographers sticking cameras into their faces.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast