Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

Great tips thread for Japan.

I'll be at Hokkaido for a package tour this May 2011.
    Has anyone purchase used/new Nikon lenses at Sapporo? Care to share your experiences?

Planning my second trip to Japan. This time planning to stay longer, like 3 months or so. Im still a bit new for this Singapore scene, so if anyone knows good place to look AMAZING flight deal, pls let me know.
    And all other updated budget traveling tips in Japan is welcome too. Looking to stay in Tokyo for a month or so, been looking rooms from craigslist.
    Japan, cant get enough of it!

Quote Originally Posted by jaskak
    Planning my second trip to Japan. This time planning to stay longer, like 3 months or so. Im still a bit new for this Singapore scene, so if anyone knows good place to look AMAZING flight deal, pls let me know.
    And all other updated budget traveling tips in Japan is welcome too. Looking to stay in Tokyo for a month or so, been looking rooms from craigslist.
    There is couchsurfing.com if you don't mind staying with strangers.. I think flights to haneda airport is cheaper too. 3 months?? Wow have fun!!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Over the past 7 years i have used lots of sites like that, hospitalityclub, place2stay etc. Have had wonderful experiences. But since im staying like a 1 month in Tokyo, its not an option, not many ppl are ready to accommodate for such a long period, then again in 2004 one guy let me live in his place in Rio De Janeiro for 4 months... so you never know. But now i think im looking for some sublet etc deals in tokyo.
    In my case, i have time, 3 months is a minimum (last time 3 weeks in tokyo and i barely had time to see it) but i dont have so much money (spend all my money to cameras, hahaha) budget is the way to go. I dont mind basic conditions, shared bathrooms etc.
    Also looking for some volunteer work over there if possible.
    J

Over the past 7 years i have used lots of sites like that, hospitalityclub, place2stay etc. Have had wonderful experiences. But since im staying like a 1 month in Tokyo, its not an option, not many ppl are ready to accommodate for such a long period, then again in 2004 one guy let me live in his place in Rio De Janeiro for 4 months... so you never know. But now i think im looking for some sublet etc deals in tokyo.
    In my case, i have time, 3 months is a minimum (last time 3 weeks in tokyo and i barely had time to see it) but i dont have so much money (spend all my money to cameras, hahaha) budget is the way to go. I dont mind basic conditions, shared bathrooms etc.
    Also looking for some volunteer work over there if possible.
    J
    That's very enviable. one day I want to travel like that.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    That's very enviable. one day I want to travel like that.
    Many ppl say the same thing to me. Well its not always easy, not just amazing traveling into a mindblowing places all the time. Over the years i have spend enough money to buy a house, all that for traveling . No regrets thou, I have a good backpack i can continue to carry it around for years to come !

Many ppl say the same thing to me. Well its not always easy, not just amazing traveling into a mindblowing places all the time. Over the years i have spend enough money to buy a house, all that for traveling . No regrets thou, I have a good backpack i can continue to carry it around for years to come !
    Where are you from?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Where are you from?
    Finland.

For my coming Japan trip, after Tokyo, would like to go and tour Japan with bicycle, riding a cycle into a small towns etc, dont know why but its my dream.

Finland.

For my coming Japan trip, after Tokyo, would like to go and tour Japan with bicycle, riding a cycle into a small towns etc, dont know why but its my dream.
    Nice dream. I think the weather there would be ideal to do that.

What made you want to travel the world? I
    suppose many would also love to be in your shoes.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Nice dream. I think the weather there would be ideal to do that.

What made you want to travel the world? I
    suppose many would also love to be in your shoes.
    Pure accident, harmless talk with a best friend way back then. We had nothing to do, school was no option and out of the blue he asked how would i like to go see Machu Picchu, having no other ideas, i sold what i had and we went, just a one way ticket to South America, no spanish skills at all and 500 USD in a pocket. Needless to say, I was addicted to traveling instantly, havent looked back.

Sorry for OT, this is Japan by budget thread...

Pure accident, harmless talk with a best friend way back then. We had nothing to do, school was no option and out of the blue he asked how would i like to go see Machu Picchu, having no other ideas, i sold what i had and we went, just a one way ticket to South America, no spanish skills at all and 500 USD in a pocket. Needless to say, I was addicted to traveling instantly, havent looked back.

Sorry for OT, this is Japan by budget thread...
    Oops. Sorry ot. Will stop here.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Oops. Sorry ot. Will stop here.
    Just joking, but i dont want to make other readers mad by posting too much OT here, oops again.

Well back to topic, has anyone visited Oki islands, like Nishinoshima?

Go jalan.net for pre-book hostel/ hotel. Got lots of budget / cheap accommodations in Tokyo (no need credit card as guarantee). Japanese only though. PM me if you need further help on registering and/or using the site.

Quote Originally Posted by leeks View Post
    Go jalan.net for pre-book hostel/ hotel. Got lots of budget / cheap accommodations in Tokyo (no need credit card as guarantee). Japanese only though. PM me if you need further help on registering and/or using the site.
    Thanks for the info, checked that site, way too complicated to use, since only in JPN, i would need full time 24/7 online support to use it... dont want to bother you so much
    So I think im using craigslist and others to find short time rooms for rent.

Has anyone tried hitch hiking in JPN?

Just want to share this info with everyone. Good source of information.

http://www.goodlucktrip.jp/new_english.html
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2...05-266600.html

TOKYO, JAPAN - Japan's latest bullet train, the thin-nosed "Hayabusa" or Falcon, made its 300 kilometre per hour (186 mph) debut Saturday, boasting a luxury carriage modelled on airline business class.

Japan has built up a network of cutting-edge Shinkansen train lines since the 1960s that criss-cross the island nation and now hopes to sell the infrastructure technology abroad, including to the United States.

The latest ultra-fast tech-marvel makes two trips a day from Tokyo to Aomori, a scenic rural backwater on the northern tip of the main Honshu island that has until now been off Japan's bullet train map. It also makes one more trip a day to Sendai, located between Tokyo and Aomori.

The green-and-silver E5 series Hayabusa travels at up to 300 kilometres per hour to make the 675 kilometre trip in three hours and 10 minutes. From next year, it will push its top speed to 320 kilometres per hour to become Japan's fastest train.

The mood at the launch was dampened slightly by a seven minute delay to the first service after a passenger fell from the platform at Tokyo station, according to station officials. The train was not moving at the time.

Passengers will glide quietly along the straight stretches and tunnels that cut through Japan's mountainous countryside, said operator East Japan Railway Co, which has heavily promoted the launch of the new service.

Those willing to pay 26,360 yen ($320) for a one-way trip can enjoy the comfort of a 'GranClass' car, where a cabin attendant will serve them drinks and food in their deeply reclining leather seats on thick woollen carpets.

To promote the service, the train company has also heavily advertised Aomori as a tourist destination, praising its landscape, seafood and winter snow.

Japan's ultra-fast, frequent and punctual bullet trains have made them the preferred choice for many travellers, rather than flying or road travel, ever since the first Shinkansen was launched in time for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

But as Japan, and its railway companies, struggle with a fast-greying and shrinking population and falling domestic demand, the government and industry are aggressively seeking to promote the bullet trains abroad.

Japan has in the past sold Shinkansen technology to Taiwan and hopes to capture other overseas markets, such as Brazil and Vietnam, but faces stiff competition from train manufacturers in China, France and Germany.

The biggest prize is a future high-speed US rail network that President Barack Obama has promoted, to be backed by 13 billion dollars in public funding.

California's then-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger was treated to an early test ride on the Hayabusa when he visited Japan in September.

Japan says its trains boast a strong safety record: despite running in an earthquake-prone country, no passenger has ever died due to a Shinkansen derailment or collision - although people have committed suicide by jumping in front of the trains.

Japan has also been developing a magnetic levitation or maglev train that, its operator says, reached a world record speed of 581 kilometres per hour in 2003 on a test track near Mount Fuji in Tsuru, west of Tokyo.

The plan is to launch maglev services between Tokyo and the central city of Nagoya by 2027. By 2045 they are expected to link Tokyo with the main western city of Osaka in just one hour and seven minutes, compared with the current two hours 25.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Just bought a ticket to Tokyo, first 1 month in Tokyo, exploring it + taking pics. Then somewhere southern Japan for a month or two.
    Now need to find CHEAP accommodation in Tokyo for a month..

How about mobile phones, can anyone tell me if I can buy a prepaid card for my phone there? If so, which company should I by, I need a data packet too.

Conditions are not the best for visiting Japan right now....
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Airline fuel surcharge has already increased by $121 per pax according to the tour agency I've booked with.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast