Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 303

Thread: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

  1. #241

    Default

    Very sad news indeed. A must-stop for me every time when in tokyo.

  2. #242

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    hi hi, is 7 days in Tokyo enough for street photography? how big is the city? 3 times of Singapore?

  3. #243

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Central Tokyo can be covered in seven days grossly, but not in depth... Eg, you could wait a week in Shinjuku for the perfect shot or Odaiba rainbow bridge for the right sunset for a week..
    avoid rush hour so you have more space for street shots..
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  4. #244

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    hi hi, is 7 days in Tokyo enough for street photography? how big is the city? 3 times of Singapore?
    Very big, esp. If you venture to the surrounding suburbs.
    7 days is enough to cover quite a few key places, but its scratching the surface for whole of Tokyo.

    I just did a 1wk walkabout in Jul.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297578

    Did street photography in the late mornings and afternoons.

  5. #245

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    GST in Japan is going up to 8%:
    http://business.asiaone.com/news/jap...us-final-draft

    Remember to show your passport and claim GST ... you can do it on the spot for large purchases:

    http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/ttp/sg/09-...E-Tax-fre.html



    Tax-Free Shopping

    Overseas visitors in Japan with temporary status who spend more than 10,001yen on any given day in one shop are entitled to a refund of the 5% consumption tax. Only department stores and specialty shops used to dealing with foreign tourists offer the refund, and clients must show their passports. No refund is granted for cosmetics, food, alcohol, cigarettes, medicine, film and batteries, which include the consumption tax in their price tag.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  6. #246

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    GST in Japan is going up to 8%:
    http://business.asiaone.com/news/jap...us-final-draft

    Remember to show your passport and claim GST ... you can do it on the spot for large purchases:

    http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/ttp/sg/09-...E-Tax-fre.html



    Tax-Free Shopping

    Overseas visitors in Japan with temporary status who spend more than 10,001yen on any given day in one shop are entitled to a refund of the 5% consumption tax. Only department stores and specialty shops used to dealing with foreign tourists offer the refund, and clients must show their passports. No refund is granted for cosmetics, food, alcohol, cigarettes, medicine, film and batteries, which include the consumption tax in their price tag.
    thanks for the info.

    btw, any idea is their camera gear international warranty ?

  7. #247
    Member elcrosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Is it worth it to buy Sigma Lenses in Japan or would the price be the same as here in Singapore?

  8. #248
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by elcrosso View Post
    Is it worth it to buy Sigma Lenses in Japan or would the price be the same as here in Singapore?
    While the price might be slightly cheaper over there, Sigma offers 2.5 yrs warranty in Singapore so I chose to buy my lens locally
    Flickr Portfolio
    Canon 6D 17-40L 24-70L 70-200L

  9. #249

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by elcrosso View Post
    Is it worth it to buy Sigma Lenses in Japan or would the price be the same as here in Singapore?
    Give MapCamera a try if you don't mind 2nd hand.
    Super service and they will even point out the defect (not like anywhere else where they pretend that there is none )

  10. #250

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    better go now before Tsukiji fish market closes for relocation.

  11. #251

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Hi,
    Would like to chk if anyone tried getting mobile data sim at any Japan airport?
    Did a Google search and found a couple companies selling. Would like to hear from u guys if there is any problem.

    I'll be bringing my own mifi so unlimited will be best for the 7 days for the family.
    Thanks!

  12. #252

    Default

    I didn't chk and buy a data card at narita airport thinking I can get it in shinjuku area but I was wrong.. softbank, docomo, yodobashi or 7-11 don't hv it so we hv to rely on the wifi at the hotels during the nights.. can't even find diapers ard tokyo.. weird. bring along a mini router as some hotels charge for wifi but not lan.

  13. #253

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    You can buy this prepaid data sim online and get it delivered to any JP hotel or self-pickup at the airport
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

  14. #254

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by allusionz View Post
    Hi,
    Would like to chk if anyone tried getting mobile data sim at any Japan airport?
    Did a Google search and found a couple companies selling. Would like to hear from u guys if there is any problem.

    I'll be bringing my own mifi so unlimited will be best for the 7 days for the family.
    Thanks!
    No SIM card in Jpn without a mailing address.
    Everywhere it seems that wifi needs some sort of login.

    There are companies renting mobile phones at the airport, but too expensive for me to even consider.

    User1234 above seems to have a solution.

  15. #255

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    i think you can try b-mobile. It's a prepaid sim card service also.
    D7000 + 50mm

  16. #256

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    No SIM card in Jpn without a mailing address.
    Everywhere it seems that wifi needs some sort of login.

    There are companies renting mobile phones at the airport, but too expensive for me to even consider.

    User1234 above seems to have a solution.


    "Our SIM card does not support phone call and SMS.
    It is prohibited by law to provide SIM card with phone number to short-term travelers in Japan for security reason.
    You can still use VoIP apps such as Skype, WhatsApp, LINE, Viber, etc for calling.
    Standard speed limited SIM and WiFi-To-Go (except 300K plan) support those VoIP apps. "

  17. #257

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Got it sorted out. Found a 15gb data card for 7 days. It's from Hong Kong Unicorn called Sakura card. Can find them on ebay or taobao. Or u can get someone from Hk to buy for u. It's less than $50 for it.

  18. #258

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    Another provider for rental of sim card and mifi
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

  19. #259

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    heading there in March, probably going to go offline haha.

  20. #260

    Default Re: Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

    there is free Wifi at JR train stations.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •