Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Broke friend's tripod..

Default Re: HELP! Broke friend's tripod..

my question again for those who only read my original post:

ok i have a choice between a stein zeiser SZ-16 ($35 second-hand but seller says can consider brand new) and a slik F630 ($60 brand new from Cathay Photo).

can someone please tell me which is a better option? TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by lilithfiend View Post
    nope haven't told him yet. will be seeing him tmr, so i want to tell him + give him the replacement at the same time.

what i'm saying is, isn't it better to tell him first before u make the purchase of a new tripod? at least u can ask him what kind of tripod he wants/needs a replacement for... if he already have other tripod/s then u replace w another exact same one is pointless to him, maybe he wants a smaller/lighter one or a bigger one?

my question again for those who only read my original post:
    Since he is your BF's dad, if u sincerly want to repay him for that tripod, i dont think he will reject you if u really insist. but looking at the tripod, its really a cheap tripod that at most value $20-30, and its NOT meant to hold DSLR. aluminium and plastic build tripod will break over time, especially the plastic parts. and no serious photographer or hobblist will want to risk his camera on a tripod that could break anytime. holding a PnS that weight a few hundreds grams, the plastic parts can hold easily without any stress but to hold a DSLR that weights in nearly 1kg or more, the plastic will be subjected to quite some stress.

suggest is that you own up regarding the damage, and offer to top up or buy a new tripod for him if he got a tripod on his wish list. (mind you, a simple good tripod will cost easily more than $150) so he may not want you to pay for the new tripod as the one u broke cost only $20-30, u can offer to chip in $50. and repayment dont need to be as a tripod, ask him what things he got on his wish list and u offer to chip in as repayment for the tripod

I loan my super old tripod that is some what like yours to my friend and never ever thought abt getting it back in one piece after I step up from PnS to DSLR. to me those tripod are just good to have for use to hold a PnS or anything else but NEVER a DSLR. so even if i do lose it, so be it. I wouldnt be looking into getting a same replacement as i know i never use it and it will just be a waste of space and $$$ for my friend to replace the tripod. So i personally would rather write it off or allow my friend to chip in for something in my wish list as repayment. (in the end i decided to gave it off to the friend and told him, he can do anything to it I dont care)
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

To declare any mistakes and own up is the simplest right thing to do.. If not for post #14, I wouldn't have made the suggestion, which in any case, in not morally wrong, in asking for a gift. Perhaps I made the wrong assumption that you're into photography and hence borrowed the tripod. If you're not into photography, then better not lie.

i already decided to just tell him that it broke and to replace it with another one..thanks for the suggestion anyway!
    cannot! i cannot tell him la. the last time i used his camera on a overseas trip, i dropped the lens cover into the river! if i tell him i broke his tripod, i think i really can forget about borrowing anything else next time.

I think your bf's father probably loan you the tripod for you to do whatever if it and don't mind you breaking it. Else he would have loan you a better one out of his collection.

Don't worry about it and come clean. If your bf really want to dump you cos of the cheapskate tripod, then he is not worth it. There are many bros here who would even loan you a Nikon camera for you to break

Since you had made up your mind to own up the mistake and pass him the replacement at the same time, then all the best to you. Don't think he will mind getting a replacement for his cheapo tripod.
    Visit my portfolio at http://woeilee.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I think your bf's father probably loan you the tripod for you to do whatever if it and don't mind you breaking it. Else he would have loan you a better one out of his collection.

Don't worry about it and come clean. If your bf really want to dump you cos of the cheapskate tripod, then he is not worth it. There are many bros here who would even loan you a Nikon camera for you to break
    huh? definitely not me...

hi everyone, just an update. i met my bf's dad over the weekend. i apologised and told him i broke his nikon tripod and gave him the slik f630 to replace. he told me to keep the slik for myself and that he's got other tripods. said "never mind, it's ok". then he proceeded to give/sell me his nikon d200 (to be paid on instalment basis)! complete with 18-200mm, drybox, batteries, bag etc. so now i officially have my own dslr! yay!

thanks to all who replied, your comments/suggestions have helped. also specifically, thanks to kennyhoe who offered to give me his nikon tripod foc.

hi everyone, just an update. i met my bf's dad over the weekend. i apologised and told him i broke his nikon tripod and gave him the slik f630 to replace. he told me to keep the slik for myself and that he's got other tripods. said "never mind, it's ok". then he proceeded to give/sell me his nikon d200 (to be paid on instalment basis)! complete with 18-200mm, drybox, batteries, bag etc. so now i officially have my own dslr! yay!

thanks to all who replied, your comments/suggestions have helped. also specifically, thanks to kennyhoe who offered to give me his nikon tripod foc.
    Great to hear.
    All of a sudden you got a VERY GOOD dslr! Gosh.
    Take good care of it.
    I don't wish to hear you next time saying the lens drop into a river/sea.
    Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyy!

now you have to marry his son liao...

just kidding. the d200 is a fantastic camera. good for you!

great outcome from a tense situation it seems.....
    break more things.....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

I also want to break to tripod!!!!

you broke it, then just buy your friend a new tripod... don't be too stingy and just buy a replacement head or something, just get a new whole tripod!
    Why so serious... Son?

Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    Great to hear.
    All of a sudden you got a VERY GOOD dslr! Gosh.
    Take good care of it.
    I don't wish to hear you next time saying the lens drop into a river/sea.
    Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    yes, i know i must be extra careful..it's my first dslr so im really very excited! going to bkk this weekend and intend to use it! yay! hurray for generous dads!

Quote Originally Posted by rijac View Post
    now you have to marry his son liao...

just kidding. the d200 is a fantastic camera. good for you!
    haha..yes the camera can be dowry. happy to hear the d200 is well received!

what a interesting tripod story.... happy ending.
    Last edited by kutten; 3rd August 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    what a interesting tripod story.... happy ending.
    Such stories only works for the ladies!!!

wa...so sweet. i think u can go blog about it. hehe... u wanna break my *stuff* too?
    D7000|17-35mm f/2.8-4 |35-70mm f/2.8 |80-200mm f/2.8|100mm Macro f/2.8|SB800

eew those cheapo tripod parisilk scammed me to buy for 60

yay happy ending
    Last edited by velasco; 3rd August 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    I also want to break to tripod!!!!
    Couldn't control my laughter :P LOL

hahaha. Tripods you can break. Hearts..... you better not break. =)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast