Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Broke friend's tripod..

Default Re: HELP! Broke friend's tripod..

thanks for all your replies again..

well i guess i'll have to own up, partly because i haven't been able to find a similar tripod to replace it with. but he's such a nice guy that he will never allow me to pay for it. so i'll just go with what some of you said - to buy a replacement and own up. sorted!

anyhow, will post a picture of the broken part tmr. Already in the office and the tripod's at home. thanks guys!

yes, you better tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
    be a good girl, be a Washington.

You friend's father would like his future DIL is a honest person.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by lilithfiend View Post
    yea i do want to buy a new one, just dunno where to get since you guys say its usually bundled with the camera. he's got other tripods so i doubt he wants a new one..and if i confess, he won't want me to buy or pay for it cos...he's my bf's father!!!

i also want my own equipment..just too broke for it right now!
    wow...your friend = your bf's father? The plot thickens..

Honestly, since you called your bf's father friend already, ... he probably wouldn't mind, especially since it's just a tripod that was bundled with nikon. coming clean is one thing, but you need to learn to take care of camera gear! in case you tell him and he says he doesn't want you to get him a new one, either you can 1) still get it for him and give him a doe-eyed look, 2) buy more desserts for him, which also doubles as establishing rapport as DIL.

thanks for all your replies again..

well i guess i'll have to own up, partly because i haven't been able to find a similar tripod to replace it with. but he's such a nice guy that he will never allow me to pay for it. so i'll just go with what some of you said - to buy a replacement and own up. sorted!

anyhow, will post a picture of the broken part tmr. Already in the office and the tripod's at home. thanks guys!
    I guess he'll never want to use that tripod with his equipment anyway. I won't because my equipment is worth more than that tripod. Some new ones I see in the shops are already loose, so I'm not surprised if that tripod broke with even a slight knock.

Then again, it might be a test for you.. Something for you to ponder about..

Actually, serious photographers never use the cheapo tripods. So, I doubt that he even wants the tripod. It's one of those things that you get as freebies... then don't know what to do with it. Throw away also wasteful, keep also take up space.

I'd suggest you find out what he really wants and buy him a present instead. Don't buy him a replacement cheapo tripod. I doubt that he will appreciate another cheapo tripod.

Buy the same tripod and return to your friend. Problem solved.

cannot! i cannot tell him la. the last time i used his camera on a overseas trip, i dropped the lens cover into the river! if i tell him i broke his tripod, i think i really can forget about borrowing anything else next time.
    LOL. It is better to tell him the truth, really.
    If he found out that you gave him a replacement, he found out by himself, even worst.
    Tell him that you are willing to pay for a new one. Better 1 or the same 1, up to you and his discussion.
    Haha, and take it as a lesson lor. Drop lens cover and broke tripod.. Diao hahaha.
    Relax.

aiya, just tell him and see where you can go from there. don't buy anything. just offer to compensate. and then he can decide for himself what he wants, a new cheapo tripod, offset new tripod, spend money on food, etc. whatever!

k guys, here are the pics:

please diagnose and let me know if i can find a replacement for this particular part.

thanks in advance..

Holy cow the entire head's come clean off. It's dead, Jim.

PS. Save the pics for the other newbies yea? Show them what a cheapo tripod is like.

Walao, the plastic just broke into 2? Didn't know the build of these tripods were that poor lol

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee View Post
    Holy cow the entire head's come clean off. It's dead, Jim.

PS. Save the pics for the other newbies yea? Show them what a cheapo tripod is like.
    wait, you mean the head is not meant to be detachable? cos when i open up the bag, the head was already detached.. i thought that was how it is, so in my attempt to "fix" it back on to the tripod, i fiddled around with the screw thingy and the whole thing broke into two pieces.

wait, you mean the head is not meant to be detachable? cos when i open up the bag, the head was already detached.. i thought that was how it is, so in my attempt to "fix" it back on to the tripod, i fiddled around with the screw thingy and the whole thing broke into two pieces.

No, cheapo tripods don't have removable heads.

ok i have a choice between a stein zeiser SZ-16 ($35 second-hand but seller says can consider brand new) and a slik F630 ($60 brand new from Cathay Photo).

can someone please tell me which is a better option? TIA.

ok i have a choice between a stein zeiser SZ-16 ($35 second-hand but seller says can consider brand new) and a slik F630 ($60 brand new from Cathay Photo).

can someone please tell me which is a better option? TIA.
    have you told ur boyfriend's father yet?

i mean at the end of the day, the tripod he lend u might have been faulty in the first place, n since he have other tripod he probably doesn't need another one, so why not u just go tell u the tripod is broken n see how it goes

One suggestion..

Why not you ask your friend whether he can consider giving the tripod to you? you say you're a beginner and a tripod will come in handy in your venture into photography.

If he agrees, you don't have to tell him you broke the tripod, and don't have to spend unnecessary money. win-win situation..

Maybe he wouldn't even want such a cheapo tripod given his collections.. buying another one is just a waste of money.. and a junk that takes up space.

Aiyah.... just come clean. Be honest and avoid any schemes that might offend people in the end.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Quote Originally Posted by tunge View Post
    have you told ur boyfriend's father yet?

i mean at the end of the day, the tripod he lend u might have been faulty in the first place, n since he have other tripod he probably doesn't need another one, so why not u just go tell u the tripod is broken n see how it goes
    nope haven't told him yet. will be seeing him tmr, so i want to tell him + give him the replacement at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    One suggestion..

Why not you ask your friend whether he can consider giving the tripod to you? you say you're a beginner and a tripod will come in handy in your venture into photography.

If he agrees, you don't have to tell him you broke the tripod, and don't have to spend unnecessary money. win-win situation..

Maybe he wouldn't even want such a cheapo tripod given his collections.. buying another one is just a waste of money.. and a junk that takes up space.
    i already decided to just tell him that it broke and to replace it with another one..thanks for the suggestion anyway!

you tell one lie today, then tomorrow got to tell another 10 to cover for this lie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast